Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Programs from this quad that will be talked about in 20 years

Banned
    some of you are stretching the phrase 'talked about'

unless you mean 'talked about by uber fans of said skater'

On the Ice
    Yu na Kim's heartbreaking Olympic performance. Yu na Kim's triumphant world champion 2013.
    Hanyu's incredible short program at the Olympics
    Moa's emotional free skate in Sochi
    Kostners spiritual short program and clean long program
    The incredible Masquerade waltz by T and V in Sochi
    Scherezade by D/W will be remembered as a symbol of their precision and powerfulness

Custom Title
    I will remember:

- Plushenko's farewell skates in team competition. He went away like a king in an epic medieval story.
    - Hanyu's short program , a new era begins
    - Mao's FS , a fight when was nothing more to win
    - T/V SP , true beauty

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aschiutza View Post
    - Mao's FS , a fight when was nothing more to win
    She really skated like there is nothing to lose. I will remember it.

Even though he wasn't a top-level skater, I'm hoping some will still remember Shawn Sawyer's Mad Hatter routine. If you can't tell from my display pic, I'm a uber.

I agree about most of the ones already mentioned, but I'd like to add..
    Kavaguti/Smirnov - Claire de Lune
    Takahashi's 2011 Mambo SP
    Weaver/Poje - Je Suis Malade
    Jeremy Abbott - Exogenesis
    Virtue/Moir - Mujer Latina (mostly because they used it for a FD and an SD)

On the Ice
    Carolina Kostner's "L'après midi d'un faune", "Galicia Flamenca", "'Shostakovich'", "'Mozart'", "Young Frankenstein / The Devil's Trill", "Bolero" and "Ave Maria". In my humble opinion, music/choreography/skating (when at their best) wise, all those are figure skating masterpiece programs that will succeed the test of time. Kostner's skating qualities and taste are a delicious rarity in the sport.

Custom Title
    Adios Nonino definitely. I think a lot of us have found that we only appreciated it after multiple viewings and this will likely hold true in the future as well.

I think V/T masquerade waltz as well. Trankov and his costume just really bring an air to the program that almost transports you to some past time.

As for Adelina's FS, I'm not sure it'll be watched for relishing as much as it'll be watched because she's the Olympic Champion. In the future though I do think she will get more credit for her great jumps (the stumble aside) and the footwork sequence because people won't be quite as bilious (who am I kidding) but there will at least be some more rationality.

Custom Title
    I've not been a fan of figure skating for a long time so I can't really say anything about the generations before Yuna and Mao. Also, I only know about the ladies.
    But here are the programs I will remember for years to come:

- Yuna's Les Mis, Danse Macabre, SITC and Adios Nonino
    - Mao's highly emotional LP in Sochi (I actually teared up too T^T. You go, Mao! Four for you, Mao!)
    - Adelina's LP [because of the controversy and the fact that she was overscored in every way in Sochi. I'm gonna tell you it really angered me that she beat Yuna, Mao and Caro in the quality basket (GOE and PCS)]
    - And I honestly forgot about the details of Caro's Oly programs but I will never forget that her dreams came true in the Olympics (tho I feel that she was deservedly the Silver medalist)

Also, I don't hate Adelina. I admire that she proved she was not the 'other girl' and her skates, tho not as much quality as the others, were truly great and triumphant considering she's not very successful in delivering clean programs this season (esp. LP) prior to the Olympics. Though why they had to ruin her moment of shining because of her ability, I will never understand.

Custom Title
    I don't understand why anyone would remember Adios Nonino. Bland, emotionless, going-through-the-motions. I didn't even know it was supposed to be a tango!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
    Adios Nonino definitely. I think a lot of us have found that we only appreciated it after multiple viewings and this will likely hold true in the future as well.

I think V/T masquerade waltz as well. Trankov and his costume just really bring an air to the program that almost transports you to some past time.

As for Adelina's FS, I'm not sure it'll be watched for relishing as much as it'll be watched because she's the Olympic Champion. In the future though I do think she will get more credit for her great jumps (the stumble aside) and the footwork sequence because people won't be quite as bilious (who am I kidding) but there will at least be some more rationality.
    I agree that Yuna's Adios Nonino program was one that could be appreciated more and more with repeated viewings. It wasn't a blatantly rousing program, but it was nuanced, sensual and cohesive. After seeing it about 4 times, I realized only a supremely talented skater could actually make that program work.

As for Adelina's LP, I do believe it will fade from memory in almost every way except for the fact that it was over-scored and marked another moment in figure skating history in which the judges got it wrong (probably a result of corruption). I've seen that LP probably 8 times and it seems pretty obvious to me that it was unrefined and mostly pointless. A few of the jumps were impressive, but the rest of it was utterly forgettable.

V/T's short program was good (primarily because of the costuming)...not sure if we'll remember it 20 years from now...but perhaps. Their Olympic LP...eh, not so much.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Even though he wasn't a top-level skater, I'm hoping some will still remember Shawn Sawyer's Mad Hatter routine. If you can't tell from my display pic, I'm a uber.
    I LOVE Shawn Sawyer's Alice in Wonderland routine. His performance of that FS at Canadians was AMAZING. In fact, I hate to say this, it was hard to enjoy Duhamel/Radford's FS because all I could think about is Shawn Saywer's program.

I will name the programs that are memorable to me:

* Jason Brown - Riverdance FS (2014)
    * Shawn Sawyer - Alice in Wonderland FS (2011)
    * Savchenko/Szolkozy - Pina FS (2012)
    * Daisuke Takahashi - In the Garden of Souls SP (2012)
    * Daisuke Takahashi - Blues for Kook FS (2012)
    * Davis/White - Giselle SD (2013)
    * Virtue/Moir - Latin FD (2011)
    * Akiko Suzuki - "O" FS (2013)
    * Akiko Suzuki - Die Fiedlermaus FS (2012)
    * Carolina Kostner - Bolero FS (2013/2014)
    * Yuna Kim - Les Mierables FS (2013)
    * Yuna Kim - Send in the Clowns SP (2014)
    * Ross Miner - Casablanca FS (2011)
    * Javier Fernandez - Chaplin FS (2013)
    * Yuzuru Hanyu - Parisian Walkways SP (2013/2014)
    * Yuzuru Hanyu - Romeo and Juliet FS (2012)
    * Mao Asada - Piano Concerto No. 2 FS (2014- her Olympics performance)
    * Ashley Wagner - Black Swan FS (2012)
    * Alissa Czisny - Winter into Spring FS (2011)
    * Patrick Chan - Elegie SP (2013/2014)
    * Voloshzhar/Trankov- Masquerade Waltz SP (2014)
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 03-20-2014 at 01:09 AM.

^ You've got some really good ones in there, Mrs. P. Count me in as another one who loved Shawn Sawyer's Mad Hatter program. Furthermore, we were thrilled he got to appear in last season's USA SOI tour. That's one of the reasons I wish the US & Canadian tours would not overlap this season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    I don't understand why anyone would remember Adios Nonino. Bland, emotionless, going-through-the-motions. I didn't even know it was supposed to be a tango!
    There's only so many actualy tango moves you can do by yourself + on the ice. She basically did all the ones that CAN be done and showed a variety of facial expressions although at times she did look a little bored (probably telegraphing her next jump)

Tripping on the Podium
    Patrick Chan - Phantasia 2010-11
    Patrick Chan - Elegie 2013-14
    Yuna Kim - les Miserables
    Caro - Bolero
    Virtue Moir - Carmen
    Savchenko / Szolkowy - Out of Africa

I've already forgotten most of the programs people listed in this thread

Maybe another way to look at this question is to consider what programs we remember from two decades ago. Are those the programs you thought that you'd remember? If I were to look at 1994-1998 programs (because the Olympic cycle before that was abbreviated):
    Lu Chen, The Last Emperor
    Rahkamo and Kokko, Quickstep (what eventually became the Finnstep)
    Annisina and Peizerat, Romeo and Juliet

The only one of these I can recall watching in real time is the first. I'm sure most people would go with Kwan, but I never found her all that memorable.

If we moved on to 1998-2002:
    Alexei Yagudin, Winter
    Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze, Chaplin and Lady Caliph
    I remember liking a lot of A/P's stuff but none of the programs have stuck with me over time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast