Nam Nguyen - the future of Canadian figure skating | Golden Skate

Nam Nguyen - the future of Canadian figure skating

Taan

On the Ice
:agree::agree::agree:
http://www.thestar.com/sports/skati...ole_as_future_of_canadian_figure_skating.html
More and more these days, Nguyen gets compared to Chan, who isn’t competing next week.
“Some people say I may be the next Patrick Chan, and I think that’s a huge honour. He’s a three-time world champion, Olympic silver medalist, and that’s amazing,” Nguyen said....
Orser said it’s not too bold of a statement to call Nguyen the future of the sport.
“This is going to be the new guard. The top four or five (at world juniors), these are the guys we’re going to see down the road,” the coach said. “There’s a change now happening. It’s happening sooner than anybody thought. For him now to go to worlds as the world junior champion, it’s going to put him at another level, and I think he’ll skate up to it.”

:cool:

kresslia

Medalist
So glad people seem to be realizing this. I've seen this coming for a long while now.

Glad to see Nam might be adding the quad to his repertoire next season!

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
wow another bright young star canada will pin its mens gold medal hopes on only to have them crushed when they put a ridiculous amount of pressure on him

spikydurian

Medalist
wow another bright young star canada will pin its mens gold medal hopes on only to have them crushed when they put a ridiculous amount of pressure on him
That's very negative. We have high hopes for him and he has shown that he deserved the attention. No one will know whose dreams will be crushed in the future.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
That's very negative. We have high hopes for him and he has shown that he deserved the attention. No one will know whose dreams will be crushed in the future.

i'm not dissing nam, he's obviously talented and he does have a bright future

i'm talking about the inability of the canadian media to not put their skaters under a ridiculous amount of pressure and then mock them when they come up short

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Goddamn, Orser's pupils: Hanyu, Fernandez, Nguyen might be fighting it out amongst themselves for the podium in 2018.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I like Nam.. I don't find him very exciting but I like him anyway. I'm not sure if he'll be ready for a medal in 2018 but I also said that about Hanyu for 2014 so you never know!

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
i'm not dissing nam, he's obviously talented and he does have a bright future

i'm talking about the inability of the canadian media to not put their skaters under a ridiculous amount of pressure and then mock them when they come up short

I understand where you are coming from, but there have been skaters who became their respective countries' first Olympic skating champions (Yuna, Yuzuru in the men's event) despite bearing the weight of expectations of their nations and being put under the microscope by the media. In any case, I think Nam is in a good place to learn to cope with the foregoing as he is coached by Brian Orser who knows a thing or two about pressure. I am excited to see how he develops in the future.

phaeljones

On the Ice
I like Nam.. I don't find him very exciting but I like him anyway. I'm not sure if he'll be ready for a medal in 2018 but I also said that about Hanyu for 2014 so you never know!

Regarding the excitement factor, I understand your sentiment, but I get the impression that Orser is making him go slower in portions of his programs at this time so that he is careful with his technique (and to skate cleanly). Even so (and I totally get what you are saying), there are portions of his fs and sp where he seems to joyfully let loose (at 4CC and at junior worlds) even if for short bits of the program. What I mean to say is that I think there is a good chance he will be getting more exciting in the future with what he is skating (based on what is happening now, the way he has skated in the past and how his style seems to be evolving). What has really impressed me over the last year is how much he has improved on each outing, and how he came back so quickly from what happened in the junior grand prix this year. (He really did go through a big big growth spurt last year and that had to have had a big effect on his skating, especially earlier in the year so, no doubt, he has had to carefully re-adjust. I think it is amazing that he has re-adjusted so quickly.) He seems to be developing his mental game (to get precision and clean skates) and I also notice how his arm movement seems . . . more "there" (maybe it is just my impression but it seems to be more and more resembling Hanyu's with whom he trains). I am really optimistic for him in the future, but also I like him just the way he is and how far he has already come, and I am glad he is going to be at Worlds.

Regarding Canadian media, they don't seem to cover figure skating very wisely.

emdee

Final Flight
Nam had a big handicap going to Brian ie to get rid of bad technique from his former coach. Like others have said his movements are more 'there' now. I look forward to some exciting competitions in the future.

emdee

Final Flight
Hey, I'll have you know i own 2 bronze medals, One in Gymnastics and one in karate ! ;)

I wasnt referring to you..... are your medals Olympic medals? If so congratulations.

I took it that you were running Chiddy's attempt down. 2 Olympic Silvers and a huge body of work in the skating field is more than wha most of GS contributors own!