Nam Nguyen - the future of Canadian figure skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Nam Nguyen - the future of Canadian figure skating

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
with a badly Telegraphed 3A ? I dont think so

Uh, tons of elite skaters/champions have or have had telegraphed 3As, particularly as juniors. A certain Daisuke Takahashi in 2002 had telegraphed axels. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-lbt1Cwl3U

Brown is another example of a skater who has a long set up into his triple axel. Plushenko has had some long setups into his 3A.

Nam definitely deserves all the credit for putting together two excellent programs and winning World Juniors! :clap:

emdee

Final Flight
Uh, tons of elite skaters/champions have or have had telegraphed 3As, particularly as juniors. A certain Daisuke Takahashi in 2002 had telegraphed axels. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-lbt1Cwl3U

Brown is another example of a skater who has a long set up into his triple axel. Plushenko has had some long setups into his 3A.

Nam definitely deserves all the credit for putting together two excellent programs and winning World Juniors! :clap:

Hear, hear!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Goddamn, Orser's pupils: Hanyu, Fernandez, Nguyen might be fighting it out amongst themselves for the podium in 2018.

Brian Orser really needs to be commended. He's essentially becoming a male Tarasova (less furs though :laugh:), the Canadian champion-maker if you will.

It's very apparent that he is committed to teaching his pupils the right technique while also building all other aspects of their skating - not just the jumps.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

the next Andrei Rogozin isn't something to be proud of
though maybe Orser can help him improve

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
the next Andrei Rogozin isn't something to be proud of
though maybe Orser can help him improve

What a (typically) ridiculous statement. Nguyen and Rogozine are completely different skaters. :rolleye:

Not to mention Rogozine has a difficult spread eagle entry into his triple axels - and is one of the few men in the world who can - so if you're trying to insult Nam by comparing his axel set-up to another skater's axel setup, Rogozine probably wasn't the right choice. :sarcasm:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
What a (typically) ridiculous statement. Nguyen and Rogozine are completely different skaters. :rolleye:

Not to mention Rogozine has a difficult spread eagle entry into his triple axels, and is one of the few men in the world who can, so if you're trying to insult somebody's axel setup you could have picked a better example.

Rogozine has bad jumps, not just his 3A, telegraphed, small, clunky jumps that makes Reynolds look like a World Champion

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Rogozine has bad jumps, not just his 3A, telegraphed, small, clunky jumps that makes Reynolds look like a World Champion

I love how you try to insult Reynolds' jumps when he's one of the only skaters who is capable of doing a 4T and a 4S... while other skaters repeatedly "wipe the ice with their butt" (to use your eloquent words) on their 4S attempts. ;)

Although, I suppose they are all Canadian, so you'll spew whatever crap you can fit into one post about them. Hah, so much so that you're actually insulting the current Junior World Champion. Yawwwwwwn. I'm guessing your ex must have been Canadian, wasn't he? Clearly, his loss. :sarcasm: :laugh:

gottadance

On the Ice
I love how you try to insult Reynolds' jumps when he's one of the only skaters who is capable of doing a 4T and a 4S... while other skaters repeatedly "wipe the ice with their butt" (to use your eloquent words) on their 4S attempts. ;)

Although, I suppose they are all Canadian, so you'll spew whatever crap you can fit into one post about them. Hah, so much so that you're actually insulting the current Junior World Champion. Yawwwwwwn. I'm guessing your ex must have been Canadian, wasn't he? Clearly, his loss. :sarcasm: :laugh:
bravo !

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I like Nam.. I don't find him very exciting but I like him anyway. I'm not sure if he'll be ready for a medal in 2018 but I also said that about Hanyu for 2014 so you never know!

Well Canada had better hope he is ready to atleast be a legit medal contender, even if he doesnt ultimately win one, so they have something to hype legitimately for the event. No way Chan is around in 2018, and while Reynolds might be I dont see an Olympic medal in his future (maybe a minor world medal at some point).

emdee

Final Flight

Way to go!

Or maybe the ex was beaten hollow by a Canadian!

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I wasnt referring to you..... are your medals Olympic medals? If so congratulations.

I took it that you were running Chiddy's attempt down. 2 Olympic Silvers and a huge body of work in the skating field is more than wha most of GS contributors own!

I didn't mean to offend, Just a joke (Unless it happens)

And if there was an opposite of Olympic then that's what my medals are

gmyers

Record Breaker
Chan Rogozine Nguyen- it's very easy for Canadian men to win world championships

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
wow another bright young star canada will pin its mens gold medal hopes on only to have them crushed when they put a ridiculous amount of pressure on him

Well, hopefully it won't come to that.

But I do think it's important that they don't put too many expectations on him at this early stage. They shouldn't forget that he has Senior Worlds next week not long after he has just finished Junior Worlds. So they should celebrate the Junior Worlds accomplishment but not pile on the pressure too soon for Japan next week.

emdee

Final Flight
Chan Rogozine Nguyen- it's very easy for Canadian men to win world championships

Yes but Chan didnt win the world juniors in fact he came in second to Stephen Carriere who was never able to deliver at seniors.
This is true of a number of skaters whose best work is at the junior level.

emdee

Final Flight
Well, hopefully it won't come to that.

But I do think it's important that they don't put too many expectations on him at this early stage. They shouldn't forget that he has Senior Worlds next week not long after he has just finished Junior Worlds. So they should celebrate the Junior Worlds accomplishment but not pile on the pressure too soon for Japan next week.

I think in the interview of Slipchuk that is exactly what he said he would do. That is, not put expectations on Nam.

Nam will go to his first worlds to have a 'worlds' experience. If he has a decent and consistent showing that will be great.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think in the interview of Slipchuk that is exactly what he said he would do. That is, not put expectations on Nam.

Nam will go to his first worlds to have a 'worlds' experience. If he has a decent and consistent showing that will be great.

Realistically, I think Nam could place, with some luck, in the top 12 (with 217 he would have been 11th last year). The whole point anyways will be for him to have that first Worlds experience, and not have any expectations (which will unfortunately be piled upon Reynolds).

anyanka

Record Breaker
Orser is a champion maker. He led Yuna to gold in 2010, Yuzu in 2014, it could very well be Javi in 2018, how about Nam in 2022? Nam is talented but he needs more than the next quad to become a true star. And re: double silver, Orser himself being the first to bear the weight of the "curse" afflicting Canadian male figure skaters, who better to help Nam face the demons and the pressure and overcome it?

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Didn't Yuzuru Hanyu pretty streak to the top of the ranks within the last quad (or more like last year)?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Didn't Yuzuru Hanyu pretty streak to the top of the ranks within the last quad (or more like last year)?

2009-2010, Yuzuru was 14-15 years old in his last junior year. He won all his competitions nationally and internationally. JGrand Prix, JWorlds and JNationals. He became a senior right after that in 15-16th year. In his 16-17th year he won his first Grand Prix Gold in the COR and Bronze at the Worlds. -The rest is history.