Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Nam Nguyen - the future of Canadian figure skating

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by emdee View Post
    I wasnt referring to you..... are your medals Olympic medals? If so congratulations.

I took it that you were running Chiddy's attempt down. 2 Olympic Silvers and a huge body of work in the skating field is more than wha most of GS contributors own!
    I didn't mean to offend, Just a joke (Unless it happens)

And if there was an opposite of Olympic then that's what my medals are

Custom Title
    Chan Rogozine Nguyen- it's very easy for Canadian men to win world championships

Custom Title
    Although I don't really enjoy his skating yet, I wish him all the best and hope he continues to improve

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    wow another bright young star canada will pin its mens gold medal hopes on only to have them crushed when they put a ridiculous amount of pressure on him
    Well, hopefully it won't come to that.

But I do think it's important that they don't put too many expectations on him at this early stage. They shouldn't forget that he has Senior Worlds next week not long after he has just finished Junior Worlds. So they should celebrate the Junior Worlds accomplishment but not pile on the pressure too soon for Japan next week.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Chan Rogozine Nguyen- it's very easy for Canadian men to win world championships
    Yes but Chan didnt win the world juniors in fact he came in second to Stephen Carriere who was never able to deliver at seniors.
    This is true of a number of skaters whose best work is at the junior level.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    Well, hopefully it won't come to that.

But I do think it's important that they don't put too many expectations on him at this early stage. They shouldn't forget that he has Senior Worlds next week not long after he has just finished Junior Worlds. So they should celebrate the Junior Worlds accomplishment but not pile on the pressure too soon for Japan next week.
    I think in the interview of Slipchuk that is exactly what he said he would do. That is, not put expectations on Nam.

Nam will go to his first worlds to have a 'worlds' experience. If he has a decent and consistent showing that will be great.

Custom Title
    I think in the interview of Slipchuk that is exactly what he said he would do. That is, not put expectations on Nam.

Nam will go to his first worlds to have a 'worlds' experience. If he has a decent and consistent showing that will be great.
    Realistically, I think Nam could place, with some luck, in the top 12 (with 217 he would have been 11th last year). The whole point anyways will be for him to have that first Worlds experience, and not have any expectations (which will unfortunately be piled upon Reynolds).

Custom Title
    Orser is a champion maker. He led Yuna to gold in 2010, Yuzu in 2014, it could very well be Javi in 2018, how about Nam in 2022? Nam is talented but he needs more than the next quad to become a true star. And re: double silver, Orser himself being the first to bear the weight of the "curse" afflicting Canadian male figure skaters, who better to help Nam face the demons and the pressure and overcome it?

Custom Title
    Didn't Yuzuru Hanyu pretty streak to the top of the ranks within the last quad (or more like last year)?

Cheering Wildly from the stands
    Quote Originally Posted by lilahozi View Post
    Didn't Yuzuru Hanyu pretty streak to the top of the ranks within the last quad (or more like last year)?
    2009-2010, Yuzuru was 14-15 years old in his last junior year. He won all his competitions nationally and internationally. JGrand Prix, JWorlds and JNationals. He became a senior right after that in 15-16th year. In his 16-17th year he won his first Grand Prix Gold in the COR and Bronze at the Worlds. -The rest is history.

Banned
    i don't really even think patrick's body of work is that great, especially if you consider his performances when it really counts ie. the olympics, world championships. i like a lot of his qualities as a pure skater, but as for his credentials as far as an athlete being able to deliver consistent, solid performances and win competitions on merit.....ehhhhhhhh

being 'the next patrick chan' isn't really that high praise

Custom Title
    Well...that's quite a meteoric rise. It's not inconceivable hat Nguyen could exhibit the same rise in the next quad and be standing on the 2018 podium.

Custom Title
    Somewhere over the rainbow where blue birds fly
    It's too soon to know what will happen with Nam for the next 4 years, I just hope he can improve more and more, and under Orser's coaching he will totally do it

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    i don't really even think patrick's body of work is that great, especially if you consider his performances when it really counts ie. the olympics, world championships. i like a lot of his qualities as a pure skater, but as for his credentials as far as an athlete being able to deliver consistent, solid performances and win competitions on merit.....ehhhhhhhh

being 'the next patrick chan' isn't really that high praise
    And tell me who has a better body of work than Patrick in the last quad?

Banned
    And tell me who has a better body of work than Patrick in the last quad?
    Probably nobody, but that says as much about the rest of the field as it does Chan. There has no consistently strong leader this squad. The women have had Kostner and Kim, the pairs V&T and S&S, the dance has had D&W and V&M, while the men have only had a shaky Chan with 2 very controversial world titles out of 3 won and a weak effort in losing the Olympic gold to a splatty rival. If I was cleaning house and each quadrennial was an object, I would just chuck the 2011-2014 quad in mens singles into the thrash can as part of the house cleaning.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast