Nam Nguyen - the future of Canadian figure skating | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Nam Nguyen - the future of Canadian figure skating

emdee

Final Flight
lol, the Nam overhype is getting hilarious
not long ago Rogozine won Jr Worlds :rolleye:

No different than Jason or Kovtun overhype.

Time will tell whether he makes anything of himself.

Rogozine and Nam are very different skaters. Nam is only 15 - Rogozine was 18 when he won.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
At 7:22 you can see that his blade is on the ice, more than 1/4 way around. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtoUoiorSQ8

He's past the 1/4 mark, in the direction of being fully rotated. Look at the takeoff point. Takahashi doesn't spin around on the toepick during his takeoff like most people do.

As far as rest of the content, there haven't loads of times Takahashi/Fernandez/Hanyu/etc. delivered their content internationally.

Of course not. People hardly ever skate perfectly. Hanyu has been the most consistent over the past seasons, though. He usually only misses the 4Sal and hits everything else. He has only missed the Triple Axel once this entire quadrennial. That's amazing.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Of course not. People hardly ever skate perfectly. Hanyu has been the most consistent over the past seasons, though. He usually only misses the 4Sal and hits everything else. He has only missed the Triple Axel once this entire quadrennial. That's amazing.

That's not true. Before trying the 4S he made errors:
- NHK 2010 -- turned out of the 3A, singled the 3L, no 3rd combo
- Rost 2011 -- fell on footwork
- 4CC 2011 -- singled the 3Z, hand down on the second 3Z, turn out of the 3L
- Nebelhorn 2011 -- singled the 3Z
- GPF 2011 -- stepout and hand down on the 3S
- WC 2012 -- fell while skating

After trying the 4S he made errors:
- Finlandia 2012 -- turned a 3T into a 1T
- NHK 2012 -- fell on the 3Z, fell on the CCoSp, singled a double toe loop
- SA 2012 -- fell on 4T, 2Z, fell on 3F, footwork negated, error on entry into the final spin
- 4CC 2013 -- singled a 3Z
- Finlandia 2013 -- hand down on the 3A, stepout of the 3Z
- TEB 2013 -- fell on the 4T
- SC 2013 -- singled the 3A, UR'ed the 3S
- Olympics 2014 -- fell on the 3F (plus the series error)

This season, the only time he "hit everything else" after an initial 4S error were Japanese Nationals and the GPF. Which, actually bodes well with Worlds in Japan.

Also note that his 3A wasn't clean at 2010 NHK, Finlandia 2013, and SC 2013 (so it's been more than once). His 3A of course, is still by far the most consistent and sublime of the men, but he makes errors on his jumps just like the other guys. I agree that people hardly ever skate perfectly, but Hanyu has yet to skate a clean SP & LP in one competition and it's not just the 4S he errs on. Hopefully he will go clean at Worlds, 4S and all! :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That is not a fairer question. Age is the silliest argument ever, as clearly some skaters perform better younger than older and some older than younger. Clearly Yuzuru is a prodigy whereas Chan took a few years to peak - not to mention, he was hampered by injuries and could have actually been more accomplished by 19.

The argument in question is Yuzuru/Chan being the top skater of the past QUADRENNIAL. Not just the past 2013-2014 SEASON. Chan has clearly been the top skater taking into account the past FOUR seasons.

Haters will always whine that Chan only earned 1 World title, blah blah blah. It's as delusional as them saying he lacks artistry. They will wail until the cows come home, but Chan's got 3 World titles and that's the fact. But even with 1 World title and 3 silvers, Chan would have far better results than any other man this quadrennial (if he medalled at 2014 Worlds, which he would, he'd be the only man to medal at all 4 Worlds of this quadrennial, not to mention his 6th world medal in a row). There is simply no question.

But you are comparing Chan to Hanyu, which is not fair either, since at the start of this quadrennial, Hanyu was 15 and still in Juniors while Chan had been in Seniors for two years prior to the start of the quadrennial. Hanyu is not exactly a prodigy as Plushenko was (Plushy earned his first World medal at 15). Sure Chan has had injuries----what skater hasn't? Hanyu has chronic asthma, which is a far worse problem for an athlete, because injuries heal, but asthma never goes away.

At least Hanyu is starting THIS quadrennial with an OGM. Let's see what other hardware he can add to it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
But you are comparing Chan to Hanyu, which is not fair either, since at the start of this quadrennial, Hanyu was 15 and still in Juniors while Chan had been in Seniors for two years prior to the start of the quadrennial. Hanyu is not exactly a prodigy as Plushenko was (Plushy earned his first World medal at 15). Sure Chan has had injuries----what skater hasn't? Hanyu has chronic asthma, which is a far worse problem for an athlete, because injuries heal, but asthma never goes away.

At least Hanyu is starting THIS quadrennial with an OGM. Let's see what other hardware he can add to it.

Oh, of course. I'm totally aware that Hanyu is just starting out, so comparing their results relative to their points in their career isn't appropriate... but on the subject of the past quadrennial, 2010-2011 season to the 2013-2014 season, and who the top skater was, most would say it's Chan.

Haters can hate or say his victories are tainted, but they will be the only ones years from now still whining about Chan's handful of controversial wins (and really, his 2013 World title was the only grievous one... those who say he should have lost WC2012 are simply Takahashi ubers or Chan haters who disregard the actual system and points involved, and simply want to see Chan lose).

Everyone else, on the other hand, will remember that he won 3 World titles, won 2 GPF titles, won 6 out of 8 GP events (placing 2nd at the other two), won his 4th/5th/6th/7th Canadian titles, won 2 Olympic silvers in this quadrennial. He elevated the sport with his incomparable skating skills and program content. He is one of the few skaters who have actually managed to optimize his programs to the new system instead of sacrificing artistry for technical difficulty or vice versa. Even though he has inconsistency (as every skater this quadrennial has had with higher difficulty in programs), when he's even remotely on he is pretty much unbeatable. Anyone who denies this is simply a hater, although they're entitled to their disparaging opinion, even though the vast majority of the skating world acknowledges how amazing Chan is and will remember him as such.

As for Hanyu, he knows his OGM was a poor performance that was simply the best of the worst, but he has a strong will and work ethic, as well as a humility that Chan lacked, which will serve him well over the next quadrennial. His Worlds will be cakewalk, but he'll essentially be what Chan was - a technically superior skater, now with the artistic chops, resulting in a 2-3 error cushion over the rest of the field. I'm very excited for how he'll do this next quadrennial because with Chan not competing, the men's game doesn't really have many technical hot shots... although Fernandez, Kovtun, Machida, and maybe Yan, could really make it interesting. His 4S isn't working, but I do admire him for attempting it (even if it's strategic).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:rolleye: Yes, Chan won two Olympic silvers, but please let's remember that one of those was a TEAM silver shared with Reynolds, Osmond, Duhamel / Radford, Moore-Towers / Moscovitch and Virtue/Moir. Chan was 5th in the 2010 Olympics.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
In terms of artistry, I just wanna offer my 2 cents.
I watched Patrick's 2013 worlds SP live, I witnessed audience holding their breath during the whole step sequence, audience has tears in their eyes including dudes (yes, I saw men crying while watching that SP). Brezina also had tears in his eyes during TEB LP ;).
I watched Daisuke's EX practice live, I was so touched by his subtly and nuance of his gesture, such as a flip of finger. remember, that is an EX practice, Dai didnot even do jumps or skating much, but still touched me through his insanely natural musicality, sense of rhythms etc. and nobody can touch that.
However, compare Patrick to Daisuke's artistry, they excel at different aspects. but I will give my edge to Patrick in PCS, Overall his skating is more grandeur than Dai's, which is even more obviously, if you watch their live when both perform at their best.

Regarding classic music, I think most classic music are more difficult to interpret through skating. especially those with sophisticated variation of tempos, than lyrical or pop music that has simple tempos.

Patrick's Elegie is my favorite program of Patrick's, the music is definitely difficult to interpret. However, as Violet well stated, it feels like a dialogue of his skating (especially the sound of his blades) to the background music. the mis-match(counter-point) of his skating to the music note is intentionally, choreography-wise. it is a bold adventure of his choreographer to integrate skating as part of music composition, not just skating along with the music. And the outcome showed it is a brilliant attempt and audience was moved to tears when it is done properly.

Jeffery/David Wilson has used similar idea in Jeffery's and Yuna's Adios Nonino. the mis-match(counter-point) of music to movement! To achieve the vision, the performers need to own the precision of their technique elements such as jumps.

Yuzuru has better jumping technique than Patrick, his jumps are effortless.

Nam, congratulations to his junior worlds win, he is promising and has a long way to go.