Adelina Sotnikova's Sister | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova's Sister

Status
Not open for further replies.

chalk5

Match Penalty
I heard that Adelina had to win the Olympic Gold to pay for her sister's health fees. Are these rumors true?

Meoima

Match Penalty

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What kind of treatment does she need?

Treacher-Collins syndrome Symptoms

Outer part of the ears are abnormal or almost completely missing
Hearing loss
Very small jaw (micrognathia)
Very large mouth
Defect in the lower eyelid (coloboma)
Scalp hair that reaches to the cheeks
Cleft palate
Tests and Exams

The child usually will show normal intelligence. Examination of the infant may reveal a variety of problems, including:

Abnormal eye shape
Flat cheekbones
Clefts in the face
Small jaw
Low-set ears
Abnormally formed ears
Abnormal ear canal
Hearing loss
Defects in the eye (coloboma that extends into the lower lid)
Decreased eyelashes on the lower eyelid
Genetic tests can help identify gene changes linked to this condition.

Treatment of Treacher-Collins syndrome

Hearing loss is treated to ensure better performance in school.

A good plastic surgeon is very important, because children with this condition sometimes need a series of operations to correct birth defects. Plastic surgery can correct the receding chin and other changes in face structure.

JayW

Final Flight
I googled the "Treacher Collins syndrome", it is terrible. God bless her.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Very sad. What a burden for a 17 year old to carry. I am glad she won the Gold Medal as that will help a lot with her sister's expenses.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I hope her sister can get better now that she has money for the surgery

Those congenital malformations are dreadful, because they are often so complex--and of course they are so visible. Quite a burden on the child herself to face the world with such distinctive features. I am glad that Adelina can help, and if the gold medal gives her an advantage financially, then things turned out as they needed to. Unfortunately, I suspect that there isn't a lot of sophisticated care for rare syndromes such as this in Russia, but if needed maybe she can be seen in Germany or Switzerland at some point. Or Israel, as Plushenko was.

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
What a heartbreaking situation, but it's also a love story. What a wonderful reason to want to win gold. I hope they're able to get her all the help she needs. I feel if this gained some steam here in the U.S. there would be doctors and hospitals willing to help.

sirota

Rinkside
This is from one of the last articles about Adelina (she is talking about her sister ).
“Everybody knows I have a sister, we have two years difference, and she is exceptional. She is a very nice person, I don’t want to exaggerate, but she had to overcame a lot in her life. She is able to hear with the help of a special devise, and she wouldn’t have spoken if my mother hadn’t encouraged her. She had a few surgery already. I don’t have right to be poor-spirited. I think my sister is stronger than me. It seems I wouldn’t have born she had survived. Everything we are doing doesn’t seems on the top of everything. I think sometimes – if she had done my sport, she would have overthrew everything on her way. She is very smart. She has great communications skills, she learns well, she is in the strongest class at school. She dances, draws really well, yet nobody taught her.. “
Her family has very modest income. They have a small apartment in suburb of Moscow very far from her club, and Adelina’s club rents a very small apartment for her nearby. All money she received for her gold medal won’t let her to buy the cheapest 3-rooms apartment in the centre of Moscow.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
If there is cleft palate involved, Operation Smile deals with this kind of deformity.

http://www.operationsmile.org/

There is cleft palate but based on the info in earlier posts, it sounds like it's much more complicated. Maybe if Operation Smile gets involved, they can get the family connected with surgeons who can help with other aspects of the condition. I hope so -- it's such a terrible burden on so many levels!

sirota

Rinkside
According to Russian publications she had surgeries in Germany, and financial question was very serious. Tarasova helped to find a sponsor.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Does anyone know how old her sister Maria is?

Didn't one of the articles say there is two-year difference, so her sister is either 19 or 15. But it also mentioned something if her sister "survived", Adelina would not have been born (a little confusing). I guess that means it is her older sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.