Worlds articles, tweets, etc: | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Worlds articles, tweets, etc:

louisa05

Final Flight
His focus should be on skating his best. So should Aaron. If they both skate their absolute best, the 3rd slot will be taken care of. (like in 2010 when Abbott was 5th and Rippon was 6th)

Not sure why this is un team like.

Abbott has never, ever been good at PR speak. Remember Kung Fu? That's one of the reasons I like him. But he has always supported the team.

So last year, when Ashley talked about getting three spots back, she had the wrong focus and this year because it is not Jeremy's first goal, he has the wrong focus?

These skaters truly cannot win.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Cool :cool: peek behind the scenes, courtesy of Valentina Marchei:

@valemarchei14
Beds at the rink in order to rest without getting back to the hotel as the rink is far #Japaneseorganizationisthebest pic.twitter.com/s85I9cHBeA
2:01 AM - 24 Mar 2014
https://twitter.com/valemarchei14/status/448021899662999553

LOL, quite a contrast to one of my favorite backstage photos at a competition: a roomful of ice dancers -- incl. Virtue/Moir, the Shibutanis, Davis/White -- lying on the floor as they wait to skate in the final group. They all are spread out around the perimeter of the area, so each has claimed her/his own little space for repose. Sort of like nap time in kindergarten, except with young adults at a high-stakes event ;).
Wish I had a link. I just remember that the photo was tweeted by Gilles or Poirier, who were in the group as well.
Might have been from Four Continents (also in Japan :think:) last year. I don't remember whether for the SD or FD.

emma

Record Breaker
Hat's off to the Japanese organizers and the beds - which, by the way, look very comfortable and relaxing!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Cool :cool: peek behind the scenes, courtesy of Valentina Marchei:

@valemarchei14
Beds at the rink in order to rest without getting back to the hotel as the rink is far #Japaneseorganizationisthebest pic.twitter.com/s85I9cHBeA
2:01 AM - 24 Mar 2014
https://twitter.com/valemarchei14/status/448021899662999553

LOL, quite a contrast to one of my favorite backstage photos at a competition: a roomful of ice dancers -- incl. Virtue/Moir, the Shibutanis, Davis/White -- lying on the floor as they wait to skate in the final group. They all are spread out around the perimeter of the area, so each has claimed her/his own little space for repose. Sort of like nap time in kindergarten, except with young adults at a high-stakes event ;).
Wish I had a link. I just remember that the photo was tweeted by Gilles or Poirier, who were in the group as well.
Might have been from Four Continents (also in Japan :think:) last year. I don't remember whether for the SD or FD.

Found it: https://twitter.com/PiperGilles/status/300570039264890881/photo/1

PiperGilles
‏@PiperGilles
You can tell that the entire last group is so excited to compete now #lastgroup #lastevent #latenightproblems #4cc13 pic.twitter.com/dmjO5gXL

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Nick McCarvel's preview of the Pairs competition at Worlds was posted today on NBC's OlympicTalk blog.

I suppose that McCarvel is blogging about each discipline separately. Maybe Men will be next, and maybe he will elaborate on his tweet (in Mrs. P's OP) about Abbott's comment re three spots?
The Pairs blog includes quotes from Castelli. Among other things, she addressed the question of three spots for Pairs:
“We’re just focusing on our task at hand and want to do a good job,” Castelli said. “If both teams do a great job, then we’ll get that third pairs team and that’s something we ultimately hope for.”

Found it: https://twitter.com/PiperGilles/status/300570039264890881/photo/1

PiperGilles
‏@PiperGilles
You can tell that the entire last group is so excited to compete now #lastgroup #lastevent #latenightproblems #4cc13 pic.twitter.com/dmjO5gXL

Thank you for tracking down the link for me, Mrs. P :bow:. Still makes me smile :) to see each competitor more or less horizontal on the floor. I had forgotten Gilles' tongue-in-cheek words :laugh: about everyone's zen mode.
The FD started at 8:15 pm local time, and they would have been in the third group.

Re the backstage beds at Worlds:
LOL, I think airweave missed a branding opportunity. Next time, it needs to provide the mattresses for the rest area -- and in turn have the opportunity to display signage there.​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
And now this just in ;):
Nick McCarvel's preview of the Men's competion at Worlds.

Lots of quotes from Aaron and Abbott -- on multiple topics. Excerpts below re three spots:

Abbott, who announced this would be his last season prior to the U.S. Championships, said a third spot was not his focus.

“Of course everyone wants the three spots but it’s nobody’s focus,” said the 28-year-old, who had his best Worlds finish in 2010 when he placed fifth following the Vancouver Games. “Everyone wants to do the best that they can do. The two of us are definitely good enough to get back the three spots. Max is very talented and I think I’m capable enough that the two of us combined can do that.”

But Aaron said a third spot will be at the forefront of his mind when he takes to the ice in Saitama.

“I knew that third spot was going to make a difference going into the Olympic year, but we came up a little short,” Aaron said referring to the two U.S. spots the team had for Sochi. “Unfortunately that person was me.”

.... While Abbott didn’t put a placement expectation on his Worlds effort, Aaron was more forthcoming.

“I’m shooting for a medal to be honest,” he said. “I want those clean performances and I’m hopefully coming away with that third spot for the U.S.”​

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Abbott does not come across any better in the full thing.

He especially looks stupid when he says "it's nobody's focus" but Max says it absolutely is.

TMC

Record Breaker
Guess Max is thinking/feeling this way because he if anybody knows what not having that 3rd spot feels like.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Guess Max is thinking/feeling this way because he if anybody knows what not having that 3rd spot feels like.

FWIW: Jeremy missed out on being on the World team by one placement twice: in 2011 when he finished 4th and in 2013 when he finished 3rd.

He lost out that spot to Ross Miner both times. And both times he was on the team that was responsible for those spots, so perhaps that's why he isn't exactly feeling warm and fuzzy about earning spots.

jaylee

Medalist
FWIW: Jeremy missed out on being on the World team by one placement twice: in 2011 when he finished 4th and in 2013 when he finished 3rd.

He lost out that spot to Ross Miner both times. And both times he was on the team that was responsible for those spots, so perhaps that's why he isn't exactly feeling warm and fuzzy about earning spots.

Yeah. And he was the top-placing American at Worlds in 2010 and 2012.

Max Aaron wants a medal? That'll likely happen only if this competition is an even bigger mess than Sochi.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yeah. And he was the top-placing American at Worlds in 2010 and 2012.

Max Aaron wants a medal? That'll likely happen only if this competition is an even bigger mess than Sochi.

That said Jeremy didn't exactly make a case for taking one of those spots. He underperformed at both 2011 and 2013 nationals while Ross Miner had solid programs.

As for Max, there's nothing wrong with aspiring to a certain goal. FWIW, his TES (90.47) in the FS (which was not perfect) this season is only behind Hanyu and Machida. He even beats Fernandez (88.19, at Euros) TES best from this season.

Max is actually quite fast and has decent ice coverage. His PCS will be lower than the top contenders, but I don't think it's absolutely impossible for him to get on the podium. Yuzuru is the only one who is really a lock for the podium, IMO. Machida and Fernandez are strong contenders. I'd put Max in dark horse territory with Kovtun and Han.

Last edited:

jaylee

Medalist
I have no problem with Max aspiring to get on the world podium. I just think the men's field is such that it's tough to see him actually getting to the podium unless we have quite a few meltdowns from top skaters.

I've seen Max live a few times now. I know he's very fast. But components-wise, he's lacking compared to many of the other men.

A top 10 is very doable since he placed 7th before, and a top 6 placement is perfectly attainable for Max. But the podium? I'm skeptical. It could happen, never say never, but I do think I have justification for being skeptical.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I have no problem with Max aspiring to get on the world podium. I just think the men's field is such that it's tough to see him actually getting to the podium unless we have quite a few meltdowns from top skaters.

I've seen Max live a few times now. I know he's very fast. But components-wise, he's lacking compared to many of the other men.

A top 10 is very doable since he placed 7th before, and a top 6 placement is perfectly attainable for Max. But the podium? I'm skeptical. It could happen, never say never, but I do think I have justification for being skeptical.

FWIW, Kevin Reynolds got 3rd after the short program at last year's Worlds despite being 9th in PCS. He couldn't keep that up in the FS, but it was certainly within his reach.

If Max turns in a SP with 50+ TES and a FS with 90+ TES, he will be within striking distance. That of course means two perfect programs and no room for error.

Let's consider the fact that after the Sochi SP we had 11 guys all within striking distance for bronze with at least cleanish programs. I think a similar thing could happen at Worlds.

So I'm probably in the "possible' category, i.e not as skeptical as you, jaylee, but probably not in the "slam dunk" category.

Last edited:

jaylee

Medalist
So I'm probably in the "possible' category, i.e not as skeptical as you, jaylee, but probably not in the "slam dunk" category.

I think that sounds reasonable. :) I'm not willing to make any bets against Max, as I'm well aware that funny things can happen at Worlds.

Dots

Final Flight
That's the spirit!

I love Max's hunger and fight. Of course he is capable of turning a skate that could land him on the podium. :thumbsup:

As for Jeremy... no just no! :disapp:

TMC

Record Breaker

Thanks, I didn't remember that.

I still think he could have not said that getting that 3rd spot is not his focus. He could have instead said that doing his best is his focus, and leave it at that. Purely beause it looks so bad, especially after his comments after the Sochi team event.

desertskates

Medalist
Ashley choosing to arrive a little later than some (as per twitter):
Ashley Wagner ‏@AshWagner2010 · 9h
Batman marathon on the flight over to #Worlds2014 ...I think YES! #nerd #sorrynotsorry

I like to get places early, personally, but I'm sure she knows what works best for her :)

amc987

On the Ice
Ashley choosing to arrive a little later than some (as per twitter):
Ashley Wagner ‏@AshWagner2010 · 9h
Batman marathon on the flight over to #Worlds2014 ...I think YES! #nerd #sorrynotsorry

I like to get places early, personally, but I'm sure she knows what works best for her :)

Everyone is different. Some skaters have a set schedule for the Grand Prix events/ final that they like to stick to. I think I remember reading in an interview that Ashley does this. I'm sure jet lag won't be an issue in her performances.