Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Worlds articles, tweets, etc:

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Per @LynnRutherford:
    ... Interviewed @CoachTomZ today, he thinks @MaxTAaron and @JeremyAbbottpcf can win 3 U.S men's spots for '15 worlds.
    8:07 PM - 21 Mar 2014
    https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/s...07905344118785

Custom Title
    What?????

Jeremy is still skating and going to worlds!!!??? Uh uh

Just an average girl
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Per @LynnRutherford:
    ... Interviewed @CoachTomZ today, he thinks @MaxTAaron and @JeremyAbbottpcf can win 3 U.S men's spots for '15 worlds.
    8:07 PM - 21 Mar 2014
    https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/s...07905344118785
    They need to finish no worse than sixth and seventh. I suppose anything is possible although not very likely.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Cut View Post
    They need to finish no worse than sixth and seventh. I suppose anything is possible although not very likely.
    Max finished seventh at last year's Worlds in a field much stronger than this.

The issue of course, is not Max.

Custom Title
    The only chance they have is for Max to skate all his content squeeky clean, and for Jeremy to leave the quad out of his short and skate a clean short. Max had a good first Worlds last year, and Jeremy had his international best LP score at Sochi (even with watered down content due to injury).

It's a long shot...I don't expect 3 slots, but you never know.

If Jeremy leaves the quad in his short, though...no chance at 3 slots.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    His focus should be on skating his best. So should Aaron. If they both skate their absolute best, the 3rd slot will be taken care of. (like in 2010 when Abbott was 5th and Rippon was 6th)

Not sure why this is un team like.

Abbott has never, ever been good at PR speak. Remember Kung Fu? That's one of the reasons I like him. But he has always supported the team.
    So last year, when Ashley talked about getting three spots back, she had the wrong focus and this year because it is not Jeremy's first goal, he has the wrong focus?

These skaters truly cannot win.

Just an average girl
    Changing the focus back to articles and tweets, interesting look at the ice dancing competition
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/03/21/69797848

Cool peek behind the scenes, courtesy of Valentina Marchei:

@valemarchei14
    Beds at the rink in order to rest without getting back to the hotel as the rink is far #Japaneseorganizationisthebest pic.twitter.com/s85I9cHBeA
    2:01 AM - 24 Mar 2014
    https://twitter.com/valemarchei14/st...21899662999553

LOL, quite a contrast to one of my favorite backstage photos at a competition: a roomful of ice dancers -- incl. Virtue/Moir, the Shibutanis, Davis/White -- lying on the floor as they wait to skate in the final group. They all are spread out around the perimeter of the area, so each has claimed her/his own little space for repose. Sort of like nap time in kindergarten, except with young adults at a high-stakes event .
    Wish I had a link. I just remember that the photo was tweeted by Gilles or Poirier, who were in the group as well.
    Might have been from Four Continents (also in Japan ) last year. I don't remember whether for the SD or FD.

Custom Title
    Hat's off to the Japanese organizers and the beds - which, by the way, look very comfortable and relaxing!

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Cool peek behind the scenes, courtesy of Valentina Marchei:

@valemarchei14
    Beds at the rink in order to rest without getting back to the hotel as the rink is far #Japaneseorganizationisthebest pic.twitter.com/s85I9cHBeA
    2:01 AM - 24 Mar 2014
    https://twitter.com/valemarchei14/st...21899662999553

LOL, quite a contrast to one of my favorite backstage photos at a competition: a roomful of ice dancers -- incl. Virtue/Moir, the Shibutanis, Davis/White -- lying on the floor as they wait to skate in the final group. They all are spread out around the perimeter of the area, so each has claimed her/his own little space for repose. Sort of like nap time in kindergarten, except with young adults at a high-stakes event .
    Wish I had a link. I just remember that the photo was tweeted by Gilles or Poirier, who were in the group as well.
    Might have been from Four Continents (also in Japan ) last year. I don't remember whether for the SD or FD.
    Found it: https://twitter.com/PiperGilles/stat...890881/photo/1

PiperGilles
    ‏@PiperGilles
    You can tell that the entire last group is so excited to compete now #lastgroup #lastevent #latenightproblems #4cc13 pic.twitter.com/dmjO5gXL

Nick McCarvel's preview of the Pairs competition at Worlds was posted today on NBC's OlympicTalk blog.

I suppose that McCarvel is blogging about each discipline separately. Maybe Men will be next, and maybe he will elaborate on his tweet (in Mrs. P's OP) about Abbott's comment re three spots?
    The Pairs blog includes quotes from Castelli. Among other things, she addressed the question of three spots for Pairs:
    “We’re just focusing on our task at hand and want to do a good job,” Castelli said. “If both teams do a great job, then we’ll get that third pairs team and that’s something we ultimately hope for.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Found it: https://twitter.com/PiperGilles/stat...890881/photo/1

PiperGilles
    ‏@PiperGilles
    You can tell that the entire last group is so excited to compete now #lastgroup #lastevent #latenightproblems #4cc13 pic.twitter.com/dmjO5gXL
    Thank you for tracking down the link for me, Mrs. P . Still makes me smile to see each competitor more or less horizontal on the floor. I had forgotten Gilles' tongue-in-cheek words about everyone's zen mode.
    The FD started at 8:15 pm local time, and they would have been in the third group.

Re the backstage beds at Worlds:
    LOL, I think airweave missed a branding opportunity. Next time, it needs to provide the mattresses for the rest area -- and in turn have the opportunity to display signage there.

And now this just in :
    Nick McCarvel's preview of the Men's competion at Worlds.

Lots of quotes from Aaron and Abbott -- on multiple topics. Excerpts below re three spots:

Abbott, who announced this would be his last season prior to the U.S. Championships, said a third spot was not his focus.

“Of course everyone wants the three spots but it’s nobody’s focus,” said the 28-year-old, who had his best Worlds finish in 2010 when he placed fifth following the Vancouver Games. “Everyone wants to do the best that they can do. The two of us are definitely good enough to get back the three spots. Max is very talented and I think I’m capable enough that the two of us combined can do that.”

But Aaron said a third spot will be at the forefront of his mind when he takes to the ice in Saitama.

“I knew that third spot was going to make a difference going into the Olympic year, but we came up a little short,” Aaron said referring to the two U.S. spots the team had for Sochi. “Unfortunately that person was me.”

.... While Abbott didn’t put a placement expectation on his Worlds effort, Aaron was more forthcoming.

“I’m shooting for a medal to be honest,” he said. “I want those clean performances and I’m hopefully coming away with that third spot for the U.S.”

Custom Title
    Abbott does not come across any better in the full thing.

He especially looks stupid when he says "it's nobody's focus" but Max says it absolutely is.

Guess Max is thinking/feeling this way because he if anybody knows what not having that 3rd spot feels like.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    Guess Max is thinking/feeling this way because he if anybody knows what not having that 3rd spot feels like.
    FWIW: Jeremy missed out on being on the World team by one placement twice: in 2011 when he finished 4th and in 2013 when he finished 3rd.

He lost out that spot to Ross Miner both times. And both times he was on the team that was responsible for those spots, so perhaps that's why he isn't exactly feeling warm and fuzzy about earning spots.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast