Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Worlds articles, tweets, etc:

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    FWIW: Jeremy missed out on being on the World team by one placement twice: in 2011 when he finished 4th and in 2013 when he finished 3rd.

He lost out that spot to Ross Miner both times. And both times he was on the team that was responsible for those spots, so perhaps that's why he isn't exactly feeling warm and fuzzy about earning spots.
    Yeah. And he was the top-placing American at Worlds in 2010 and 2012.

Max Aaron wants a medal? That'll likely happen only if this competition is an even bigger mess than Sochi.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post

Max Aaron wants a medal? That'll likely happen only if this competition is an even bigger mess than Sochi.
    That said Jeremy didn't exactly make a case for taking one of those spots. He underperformed at both 2011 and 2013 nationals while Ross Miner had solid programs.

As for Max, there's nothing wrong with aspiring to a certain goal. FWIW, his TES (90.47) in the FS (which was not perfect) this season is only behind Hanyu and Machida. He even beats Fernandez (88.19, at Euros) TES best from this season.

Max is actually quite fast and has decent ice coverage. His PCS will be lower than the top contenders, but I don't think it's absolutely impossible for him to get on the podium. Yuzuru is the only one who is really a lock for the podium, IMO. Machida and Fernandez are strong contenders. I'd put Max in dark horse territory with Kovtun and Han.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 03-24-2014 at 07:00 PM.

Custom Title
    I have no problem with Max aspiring to get on the world podium. I just think the men's field is such that it's tough to see him actually getting to the podium unless we have quite a few meltdowns from top skaters.

I've seen Max live a few times now. I know he's very fast. But components-wise, he's lacking compared to many of the other men.

A top 10 is very doable since he placed 7th before, and a top 6 placement is perfectly attainable for Max. But the podium? I'm skeptical. It could happen, never say never, but I do think I have justification for being skeptical.

skating philosopher
    I have no problem with Max aspiring to get on the world podium. I just think the men's field is such that it's tough to see him actually getting to the podium unless we have quite a few meltdowns from top skaters.

I've seen Max live a few times now. I know he's very fast. But components-wise, he's lacking compared to many of the other men.

A top 10 is very doable since he placed 7th before, and a top 6 placement is perfectly attainable for Max. But the podium? I'm skeptical. It could happen, never say never, but I do think I have justification for being skeptical.
    FWIW, Kevin Reynolds got 3rd after the short program at last year's Worlds despite being 9th in PCS. He couldn't keep that up in the FS, but it was certainly within his reach.

If Max turns in a SP with 50+ TES and a FS with 90+ TES, he will be within striking distance. That of course means two perfect programs and no room for error.

Let's consider the fact that after the Sochi SP we had 11 guys all within striking distance for bronze with at least cleanish programs. I think a similar thing could happen at Worlds.

So I'm probably in the "possible' category, i.e not as skeptical as you, jaylee, but probably not in the "slam dunk" category.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 03-24-2014 at 08:08 PM.

Custom Title
    So I'm probably in the "possible' category, i.e not as skeptical as you, jaylee, but probably not in the "slam dunk" category.
    I think that sounds reasonable. I'm not willing to make any bets against Max, as I'm well aware that funny things can happen at Worlds.

Custom Title
    That's the spirit!

I love Max's hunger and fight. Of course he is capable of turning a skate that could land him on the podium.

As for Jeremy... no just no!

FWIW: Jeremy missed out on being on the World team by one placement twice: in 2011 when he finished 4th and in 2013 when he finished 3rd.

He lost out that spot to Ross Miner both times. And both times he was on the team that was responsible for those spots, so perhaps that's why he isn't exactly feeling warm and fuzzy about earning spots.
    Thanks, I didn't remember that.

I still think he could have not said that getting that 3rd spot is not his focus. He could have instead said that doing his best is his focus, and leave it at that. Purely beause it looks so bad, especially after his comments after the Sochi team event.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Photo from coach Tom Zakrajsek shows another nice touch at the rink:
    Red carpet treatment for all of the skaters by the Japanese Skating Federation. This is the entrance to the ice. Four new world champions will be crowned in Saitama.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=549463918485667 (Mar 24)

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Ashley choosing to arrive a little later than some (as per twitter):
    Ashley Wagner ‏@AshWagner2010 · 9h
    Batman marathon on the flight over to #Worlds2014 ...I think YES! #nerd #sorrynotsorry

I like to get places early, personally, but I'm sure she knows what works best for her

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    Ashley choosing to arrive a little later than some (as per twitter):
    Ashley Wagner ‏@AshWagner2010 · 9h
    Batman marathon on the flight over to #Worlds2014 ...I think YES! #nerd #sorrynotsorry

I like to get places early, personally, but I'm sure she knows what works best for her
    Everyone is different. Some skaters have a set schedule for the Grand Prix events/ final that they like to stick to. I think I remember reading in an interview that Ashley does this. I'm sure jet lag won't be an issue in her performances.

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Abbott does not come across any better in the full thing.

He especially looks stupid when he says "it's nobody's focus" but Max says it absolutely is.
    In my opinion it's not really possible to "focus on a third spot" while you don't know where the other skater will place. You can focus on doing your best or set a goal and focus on that. Then hope that the other skater is good enough for the combined placements to be 13 or less. Which I'm sure both Max and Jeremy wish.

To be fair to Jeremy he has the best placement of US men since Lysachek-time. 5th in 2010, where he and Adam(6th) kept the three spots. It was Dornbush, Miner and Bradley who lost a spot in 2011. In 2012 Jeremy(8th) and Adam(13th) didn't manage to win it back. Neither did Max(7th) and Ross(14th) in 2013.

OK, I understand the frustration with Jeremy, but not why some posters are so angry with him. It's like he is working as a scapegoat for US men's failures this last quad.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amc987 View Post
    Everyone is different. Some skaters have a set schedule for the Grand Prix events/ final that they like to stick to. I think I remember reading in an interview that Ashley does this. I'm sure jet lag won't be an issue in her performances.
    Very true. I notice even amongst family and friends, everyone does jetlag differently, or not at all. Athletes at this level certainly can predict the response of their bodies.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    In my opinion it's not really possible to "focus on a third spot" while you don't know where the other skater will place. You can focus on doing your best or set a goal and focus on that. Then hope that the other skater is good enough for the combined placements to be 13 or less. Which I'm sure both Max and Jeremy wish.

To be fair to Jeremy he has the best placement of US men since Lysachek-time. 5th in 2010, where he and Adam(6th) kept the three spots. It was Dornbush, Miner and Bradley who lost a spot in 2011. In 2012 Jeremy(8th) and Adam(13th) didn't manage to win it back. Neither did Max(7th) and Ross(14th) in 2013.

OK, I understand the frustration with Jeremy, but not why some posters are so angry with him. It's like he is working as a scapegoat for US men's failures this last quad.
    I don't get the vitriol either. The frustrating and hand-wringing from his fans is understandable. He probably has the most talent of all the men apart from Chan and Hanyu. Yet he has, relatively, so little to show for it. I think it's a potential maximization thing. Everyone knows how great he could have been.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post

OK, I understand the frustration with Jeremy, but not why some posters are so angry with him. It's like he is working as a scapegoat for US men's failure this last quad.
    I'm not angry with Jeremy and I hope he does well this week and proves us all wrong, but I think part of the frustration is the fact that Jeremy SHOULD be a world medalist based on his championship performances at Nationals. And Phil Hersh is right that he has underperformed relative to other past U.S. Champions.

Max Aaron finished 7th despite having no major international experience last year and competing against a much tougher field. Jeremy's 5th place in 2010 came with a much weaker field. His main competition back in 2010 was Daisuke Takahashi and Patrick Chan. He could have beat Brian Joubert (3rd) and Michel Brezina (4th); even Adam Rippon (6th) beat Jeremy in the FS.

I did a quick rundown of U.S. Champions the last 20 years and Jeremy's worst finishes are only better than one skater, Ryan Bradley, who finished in 13th in 2011. Even if you account for the fact that some of the U.S. men in the late 1990s and early 2000s had less tougher fields, Jeremy still underperformed.

I don't think it's an attack on Jeremy to point out the facts.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 03-25-2014 at 12:32 PM.

I'm not angry with Jeremy and I hope he does well this week and proves us all wrong, but I think part of the frustration is the fact that Jeremy SHOULD be a world medalist based on his championship performances at Nationals. And Phil Hersh is right that he has underperformed relative to other past U.S. Champions.

Max Aaron finished 7th despite having no major international experience last year and competing against a much tougher field. Jeremy's 5th place in 2010 came with a much weaker field. His main competition back in 2010 was Daisuke Takahashi and Patrick Chan. He could have beat Brian Joubert (3rd) and Michel Brezina (4th); even Adam Rippon (6th) beat Jeremy in the FS.

I did a quick rundown of U.S. Champions the last 20 years and Jeremy's worst finishes are only better than one skater, Ryan Bradley, who finished in 13th in 2011. Even if you account for the fact that some of the U.S. men in the late 1990s and early 2000s had less tougher fields, Jeremy still underperformed.

I don't think it's an attack on Jeremy to point out the facts.
    I was just referring to the last quad, where I saw many underwhelming US men with potentials, being US champions or not. I don't think there is a SHOULD be.

I can't compete with you on statistics so all right Jeremy is the worst for being a US champion. Nerves then, but what I got, US nationals is supposed to be the most nerve wrecking competition for American athletes.

I like many US men for different reasons and really hope Max and Jeremy win the precious three slots. It's just hard to see a US man medaling this or next worlds. If one Farris would be my guess.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast