Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 46 to 51 of 51

Thread: Worlds articles, tweets, etc:

  1. #46
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    9,297
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    I was just referring to the last quad, where I saw many underwhelming US men with potentials, being US champions or not. I don't think there is a SHOULD be.

    I can't compete with you on statistics so all right Jeremy is the worst for being a US champion. Nerves then, but what I got, US nationals is supposed to be the most nerve wrecking competition for American athletes.

    I like many US men for different reasons and really hope Max and Jeremy win the precious three slots. It's just hard to see a US man medaling this or next worlds. If one Farris would be my guess.
    Honestly, I think Jeremy could have dominated the last quad at least nationally based on his talent and artistry. Yes, the others had potential, but not at the same level as Jeremy, IMO. This is someone who beat Evan Lyscaek and Johnny Weir, two past U.S. Champions in his career. And won GPF against Patrick Chan and Takahiko Kozuka, two skaters who would win World medals.

    For him to lose to the likes of Max Aaron, Ryan Bradley, Ross Miner and Richard Dornbush seems odd to me. Or to lose internationally to Takahiko Mura (at Trophee Eric Bompard) and Taksuki Machida (Skate America 2012).

    I get why people are still fans of his despite all this, but it's hard to deny the record.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 03-25-2014 at 01:52 PM.

  2. #47
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,106
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    OK, I understand the frustration with Jeremy, but not why some posters are so angry with him. It's like he is working as a scapegoat for US men's failures this last quad.
    I'll break it down as simply as I can:

    "It's a positive step. It's just a warmup." - Abbott after not even trying to fight for his SP in the team event.


    While sitting at home were skaters who most certainly could have done better, but at the very least, would have FOUGHT for their program.

  3. #48
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    While sitting at home were skaters who most certainly could have done better, but at the very least, would have FOUGHT for their program.
    Those skaters sitting at home didn't earn the right to go, and they couldn't have changed the outcome. Jeremy botched his SP in the team event and his comments didn't help, but the amount of hate he's gotten is disproportionate to his "crime."

  4. #49
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,106
    Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    Those skaters sitting at home didn't earn the right to go, and they couldn't have changed the outcome. Jeremy botched his SP in the team event and his comments didn't help, but the amount of hate he's gotten is disproportionate to his "crime."
    If you want to get technical...there is no rule stating the National Champion MUST be picked for the Olympics. Jeremy's GP season was not any better than Max's - a bronze and a seventh each.

    When it gets frustrating is that every single darn time Abbott has a great Nationals, he then blows whatever comes next. Repeatedly. In a pattern that can't be denied.

    No football player would be chosen for a team in that situation.

    (And sorry, I know what you'll say about this remark, but two years in a row his Nationals SP has been ridiculously overscored.)

  5. #50
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    If you want to get technical...there is no rule stating the National Champion MUST be picked for the Olympics. Jeremy's GP season was not any better than Max's - a bronze and a seventh each.

    When it gets frustrating is that every single darn time Abbott has a great Nationals, he then blows whatever comes next. Repeatedly. In a pattern that can't be denied.

    No football player would be chosen for a team in that situation.

    (And sorry, I know what you'll say about this remark, but two years in a row his Nationals SP has been ridiculously overscored.)
    So their GP results were the same, and Jeremy's Nationals results were better. Therefore he got to go to the Olympics. Deservedly. And even if his Nationals SP was overscored, at this year's nationals, he still beat Max Aaron in the FS, deservedly so.

    I don't know why you're bringing in football, but sure, let's play. How many times did Peyton Manning have an awesome regular season and then go on to blow it in the playoffs? How many times did he lose to the Patriots in the playoffs with the Colts? I lost track. How awful was his most recent Superbowl appearance? Very awful. How many Superbowl wins does he have? Just one. With his record of blowing it in big games that really matter, it's a wonder that any team keeps him as its quarterback.

    Jeremy bombed the team event, but I thought his comeback in the individual SP was inspiring and his FS was terrific. I hope he finishes his career off well here, for his sake, but not to shut up all the haters. The haters will never stop hating. It's sad.

  6. #51
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,106
    Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    How many times did Peyton Manning have an awesome regular season and then go on to blow it in the playoffs?

    <snip>

    Jeremy bombed the team event, but I thought his comeback in the individual SP was inspiring and his FS was terrific. I hope he finishes his career off well here, for his sake, but not to shut up all the haters. The haters will never stop hating. It's sad.
    What's a Peyton Manning?

    There's a difference between a "hater" and someone who's had it up to the back teeth with Abbott constantly wasting spots.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •