Page 1 of 119 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging

South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging

Howdy fellow fanatics,

I thought I'd share this NBC Sports update from today indicating that the South Korean skating federation will be filing an official complaint over the controversial ladies' judging at the Olympics:

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...ing-complaint/

--Michael

Rinkside
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but I remember reading something along the line that says that official complaint should be filed within 30 minutes of competition or something to be considered by the ISU? Is this true?

Custom Title
    This may not be a popular opinion but I'm sorry to see this happening. And why did they wait so long to do it? Why not file the complaint immediately after the competition? This will set a precedent and every time a skating federation thinks their skater was judged unfairly they'll file a complaint. In my mind it would be better to "fix" the judging panel and how they're chosen (if that is indeed an issue) and just move on. Yuna has moved on!!! It's over.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrhkittythefourth View Post
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but I remember reading something along the line that says that official complaint should be filed within 30 minutes of competition or something to be considered by the ISU? Is this true?
    i think winthin in 30 days

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrhkittythefourth View Post
    Yes, 30 minutes.

So I suspect this is simply the Korean skating fed trying to look like they are "doing something", in order to appease still-angry Korean Kim fans.

It will do nothing to change the Olympic results, if that's what people hope - that ship sailed a long, long time ago. But I suppose the ISU could use this (and other criticisms) to set agenda items at their next conferences, and make judging more transparent etc.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that though, I think it's more likely to go in the round filing cabinet, under the desk :-P

Medalist
    No. They are talking about a different kind of complaint, ISU Article 24.6, which should be filed within 60 days.

Article 24.1 explains Disciplinary Commission:

"The ISU Disciplinary Commission (DC) is an independent body elected by the Congress. The DC serves as a first instance authority to hear and decide all charges referred to it by any ISU authority or party against any Skater, Official, Office Holder or other participant in ISU activities (Alleged Offender) accused of a disciplinary or ethical offence (Offence)."

Here is Article 24.6 (a):

"Complaints must be filed with the DC by any Skater, Official, Office Holder or other participants in the ISU activities, within 60 days of learning of the facts or events, which constitute a disciplinary or ethical offence."

This is quite a new piece of information for me, too. So I am trying to understand the implication of this process.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seabm7 View Post
    No. They are talking about a different kind of complaint, ISU Article 24.6, which should be filed within 60 days.

Article 24 explains Disciplinary Commission:

"The ISU Disciplinary Commission (DC) is an independent body elected by the Congress. The DC serves as a first instance authority to hear and decide all charges referred to it by any ISU authority or party against any Skater, Official, Office Holder or other participant in ISU activities (Alleged Offender) accused of a disciplinary or ethical offence (Offence)."

This is quite a new piece of information for me, too. So I am trying to understand the implication of this process.
    Aha. This is interesting! Something could actually come of this. And perhaps even set precedants that would prevent "certain persons" achieving (or retaining) positions of authority in the ISU on "ethical" grounds... one can dream...

Custom Title
    Getting gold to Yuna Kim and stripping Adelina of her medal and disqualifying her needs proof of wrongdoing.

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Getting gold to Yuna Kim and stripping Adelina of her medal and disqualifying her needs proof of wrongdoing.
    based on the statement from the complaint itself.. they're not actually complaining about the sochi results..(because the appeal is already expired)..what they're complaining now is about the composition of the judging panel.. and they're asking for investigation.. whether this will mean something or not.. seems fair to me..

Medalist
    "DC" is a new concept for me, so I'm not sure if I understand this process correctly or not. I will need some more information.

Still the impression I got is that the Korean federation is not going for the color of medal. Instead, they want an acknowledgement that the construction of the corresponding judge panel was not ethical.

gmyers, please, please, please stop.

Investigating possible wrongdoing is exactly what the petition seeks, not taking away anyone's medal.

“Together with the Korea Skating Union (KSU), we have decided to file an official complaint [to the ISU] over the controversial ruling and will demand the body look into the makeup of the judging panel and whether a fair judgment was possible,”
    The KSU and KOC hope an investigation will prevent not only a similar judging dispute from occurring again but also potential bias against future South Korean skaters, according to reports.
    That said, the ISU will just smirk, deliver high fives all around, and toss the complaint in the trash basket.
    Last edited by Mathman; 03-21-2014 at 10:53 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    based on the statement from the complaint itself.. they're not actually complaining about the sochi results..(because the appeal is already expired)..what they're complaining now is about the composition of the judging panel.. and they're asking for investigation.. whether this will mean something or not.. seems fair to me..
    They want the panel discredited so sotnikova's gold is taken Away and given for Yuna Kim. They want sotnikova score erased.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    They want the panel discredited so sotnikova's gold is taken Away and given for Yuna Kim. They want sotnikova score erased.
    That is not true. You are mixing two completely different processes. My understanding is DC does not have authority to change the outcome of the game. But they may prevent a certain acts happening again.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seabm7 View Post
    That is not true. You are mixing two completely different processes. My understanding is DC does not have authority to change the outcome of the game. But they may prevent a certain acts happening again.
    If an extraordinary situation is uncovered its not impossible that a result would be to formally disqualify sotnikova and her medal given to Yuna. That's what they want to happen. A formal asterisk next to sotnikovas name at least is what they are after.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Investigating possible wrongdoing is exactly what the petition seeks, not taking away anyone's medal.
    It doesn't appear they are suggesting wrongdoing, but rather that they didn't like the composition of the judging panel.

Page 1 of 119 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast