Page 23 of 119 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 73 ... LastLast

Thread: South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging

Custom Title
    Based on some theories russian federation may have had a season long plan to send shekhovtseva everywhere sotnikova went to give her th highest scores and move the sotnikova corridor steadily upward. Or shekhovtseva was used season long to campaign among all the judges for higher scores for Russians and especially sotnikova. Then really lucked out when the expert fixer was appointed to the ladies panel and shekhovtseva used balkovs fixing skills to make more judges give sotnikova higher scores and because shekhovtseva was being used to move the corridor for sotnikova ever upward anyway when you mix that with Olympic inflation maybe they could get away with it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    This is something South Korea could use to strip sotnikova of her gold.
    I know you are saying this with sarcasm, but the joke is on you. The olympic medals in figure skating (past and present) literally mean nothing after the Sochi fiasco. They are a joke. Anyone who has ever won one might as well stick a "best dad" or "best mom" badge on their jacket and wear that around.

Moving forward from 2014, skaters' abilities and legacies will speak for themselves in the forum of public opinion.

As Yuna said, let her be remembered simply as a skater, and not as a gold medal or silver medal winner.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    I know you are saying this with sarcasm, but the joke is on you. The olympic medals in figure skating (past and present) literally mean nothing after the Sochi fiasco. They are a joke. Anyone who has ever won one might as well stick a "best dad" or "best mom" badge on their jacket and wear that around.

Moving forward from 2014, skaters' abilities and legacies will speak for themselves in the forum of public opinion.

As Yuna said, let her be remembered simply as a skater, and not as a gold medal or silver medal winner.
    So you're saying even if Yuna did get sochi gold if an investigation found fraud that the initial awarding of sotnikova gold ruined the idea of gold forever?

Custom Title
    Yuna's legacy is secure. She and Mao were the two best skaters since the birth of COP. That's almost a decade of domination between them. Not only did they dominate, they also defended COP against those who disliked the increased physical demands on athletes and resulting ugly performances in competitions brought by COP. But COP advocates could point to Yuna and Mao's skating as a proof that the system can work without sacrificing neither the technical merits nor the artistry. There are so many memorable programs between these two that were medal-winning performances at the same time. (Even Sonia Bianchetti, who intensely dislikes COP, has had no choice but to acknowledge Yuna's skating)

It will be interesting to see how the next generation of women's skating will unfold before our eyes.

lol, I've got it. If you like skater you should.. you must call her Mao, Caro, Adelina, Yuna, Julia etc.
    Otherwise you call her sotnikova, kim, lipnitskaya, kostner..
    How it's stupid, biased and disrespectful!

Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Didn't they win a bronze medal, with some pretty bad programs? The aboriginal dance and the long program with ropes, as I recall. I think Alla did her job.
    Because she insisted for that horrible program. The aboriginal dance. She wouldn't listen all the Others who were saying there is no chance for them to win. Not with that program.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8in View Post
    I really don't understand why the judges have to have a relationship with any individual skating federation.
    Or worse, held high official position themselves in their skating federation. Like vice-president for example?

Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    Or worse, held high official position themselves in their skating federation. Like vice-president for example?
    nothing beats when someone who is at every skater's competition from a strong fed with several judges they can choose from..but something about her..

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    Same here!

melissa_ire, if you have time, could you share translations of a few Russian posts that you feel are representative of the overall feeling? Regardless of whose "side" they're on, I would appreciate the opportunity to read them. Again, only if you have time -- I recognize that it's a lot of work. Many thanks!
    No prob will do so in a day or so, busy at work at the moment

Medalist

News Time for ISU, Cinquanta to answer for sham in Sochi

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8in View Post
    I really don't understand why the judges have to have a relationship with any individual skating federation. Should they be international? Sure. But the important thing is that they're trained and work totally outside the actual competitors' organisations.
    My daughter has now been skating for 5 years and I cannot tell the different jumps/level of spins/foot sequences. I assume that most non-skaters are like me. So I believe former skaters make the best judges.

Most high level (international) judges are former Junior/Senior level skaters who what to give back to their sport. To the best of my knowledge, international judges do not get paid; they just get reimbursed for their expenses. When these former skaters are not judging, they usually work/travel with their country as part of the support staff.

So if you want a judge that knows the nuiances of the sport, that person will have ties to a specific country. However, a good judge should be able to put how a person/teams skates above the judge's country interest. But not all people can do this; those that cannot should be weeded out.

Quote Originally Posted by concorde View Post
    Most high level (international) judges are former Junior/Senior level skaters who what to give back to their sport. To the best of my knowledge, international judges do not get paid; they just get reimbursed for their expenses. When these former skaters are not judging, they usually work/travel with their country as part of the support staff.

So if you want a judge that knows the nuiances of the sport, that person will have ties to a specific country. However, a good judge should be able to put how a person/teams skates above the judge's country interest. But not all people can do this; those that cannot should be weeded out.
    I think it would be a hard balancing act. When you are part of the team, naturally you hope your skaters will do well. It is a short step from hoping the skater the represents your team will get a +2 GOE on her triple Salchow to, yay, that was a fine triple Salchow, I'll give it a +2.

But, yeah. There is no other place to get judges from except national federations, so we have to do the best we can.

Custom Title
    There were more than just one judges. Are those judges all from countries that had no skater competing in Olympics? What's the point with them complaining about composition of the judging panel?

Custom Title
    A rant that's so shrill and hysterical... it's actually hilarious.

Pure comedy - I thought April came early...

By the way, is "japanice" actually the author of these pieces, "Jack Gallagher"?
    Using Golden Skate as free advertising for his "news" articles?

Banned
    Excellent article. Every word was the truth.

Page 23 of 119 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 73 ... LastLast