South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging | Golden Skate

South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I remember reading something along the line that says that official complaint should be filed within 30 minutes of competition or something to be considered by the ISU? Is this true?

noskates

Record Breaker
This may not be a popular opinion but I'm sorry to see this happening. And why did they wait so long to do it? Why not file the complaint immediately after the competition? This will set a precedent and every time a skating federation thinks their skater was judged unfairly they'll file a complaint. In my mind it would be better to "fix" the judging panel and how they're chosen (if that is indeed an issue) and just move on. Yuna has moved on!!! It's over.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I remember reading something along the line that says that official complaint should be filed within 30 minutes of competition or something to be considered by the ISU? Is this true?
Yes, 30 minutes.

So I suspect this is simply the Korean skating fed trying to look like they are "doing something", in order to appease still-angry Korean Kim fans.

It will do nothing to change the Olympic results, if that's what people hope - that ship sailed a long, long time ago. But I suppose the ISU could use this (and other criticisms) to set agenda items at their next conferences, and make judging more transparent etc.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that though, I think it's more likely to go in the round filing cabinet, under the desk :p

seabm7

Final Flight
No. They are talking about a different kind of complaint, ISU Article 24.6, which should be filed within 60 days.

Article 24.1 explains Disciplinary Commission:

"The ISU Disciplinary Commission (DC) is an independent body elected by the Congress. The DC serves as a first instance authority to hear and decide all charges referred to it by any ISU authority or party against any Skater, Official, Office Holder or other participant in ISU activities (Alleged Offender) accused of a disciplinary or ethical offence (Offence)."

Here is Article 24.6 (a):

"Complaints must be filed with the DC by any Skater, Official, Office Holder or other participants in the ISU activities, within 60 days of learning of the facts or events, which constitute a disciplinary or ethical offence."

This is quite a new piece of information for me, too. So I am trying to understand the implication of this process.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
No. They are talking about a different kind of complaint, ISU Article 24.6, which should be filed within 60 days.

Article 24 explains Disciplinary Commission:

"The ISU Disciplinary Commission (DC) is an independent body elected by the Congress. The DC serves as a first instance authority to hear and decide all charges referred to it by any ISU authority or party against any Skater, Official, Office Holder or other participant in ISU activities (Alleged Offender) accused of a disciplinary or ethical offence (Offence)."

This is quite a new piece of information for me, too. So I am trying to understand the implication of this process.
Aha. This is interesting! Something could actually come of this. And perhaps even set precedants that would prevent "certain persons" achieving (or retaining) positions of authority in the ISU on "ethical" grounds... one can dream...

gmyers

Record Breaker
Getting gold to Yuna Kim and stripping Adelina of her medal and disqualifying her needs proof of wrongdoing.

cooper

Medalist
Getting gold to Yuna Kim and stripping Adelina of her medal and disqualifying her needs proof of wrongdoing.

based on the statement from the complaint itself.. they're not actually complaining about the sochi results..(because the appeal is already expired)..what they're complaining now is about the composition of the judging panel.. and they're asking for investigation.. whether this will mean something or not.. seems fair to me..

seabm7

Final Flight
"DC" is a new concept for me, so I'm not sure if I understand this process correctly or not. I will need some more information.

Still the impression I got is that the Korean federation is not going for the color of medal. Instead, they want an acknowledgement that the construction of the corresponding judge panel was not ethical.

gmyers, please, please, please stop. ;)

Investigating possible wrongdoing is exactly what the petition seeks, not taking away anyone's medal.

“Together with the Korea Skating Union (KSU), we have decided to file an official complaint [to the ISU] over the controversial ruling and will demand the body look into the makeup of the judging panel and whether a fair judgment was possible,”

The KSU and KOC hope an investigation will prevent not only a similar judging dispute from occurring again but also potential bias against future South Korean skaters, according to reports.

That said, the ISU will just smirk, deliver high fives all around, and toss the complaint in the trash basket.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
based on the statement from the complaint itself.. they're not actually complaining about the sochi results..(because the appeal is already expired)..what they're complaining now is about the composition of the judging panel.. and they're asking for investigation.. whether this will mean something or not.. seems fair to me..

They want the panel discredited so sotnikova's gold is taken Away and given for Yuna Kim. They want sotnikova score erased.

seabm7

Final Flight
They want the panel discredited so sotnikova's gold is taken Away and given for Yuna Kim. They want sotnikova score erased.

That is not true. You are mixing two completely different processes. My understanding is DC does not have authority to change the outcome of the game. But they may prevent a certain acts happening again.

gmyers

Record Breaker
That is not true. You are mixing two completely different processes. My understanding is DC does not have authority to change the outcome of the game. But they may prevent a certain acts happening again.

If an extraordinary situation is uncovered its not impossible that a result would be to formally disqualify sotnikova and her medal given to Yuna. That's what they want to happen. A formal asterisk next to sotnikovas name at least is what they are after.

jace93

On the Ice
If an extraordinary situation is uncovered its not impossible that a result would be to formally disqualify sotnikova and her medal given to Yuna. That's what they want to happen. A formal asterisk next to sotnikovas name at least is what they are after.

weeeel in salt lake city they didn't go that far did they? and why you have to whine even before we get to know if the complaint is accepted? I wouldn't say that isu is really prone to go back on its decision...

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The worst part is the bigger this gets the more it attaches itself to Yuna's legacy. In that regard I can see why she wanted to move on. In an ideal world this would only be a stain on the ISU but the truth is in 20 years from now this might be the FIRST thing people think when they hear the name Kim Yuna. That would be a real shame.

If she is to be martyred for the sake of the sport I hope we see some significant changes that are positive and not just a scandal that goes nowhere and serves to only damage the sport. I'm hoping for the best. :unsure:

gmyers

Record Breaker
weeeel in salt lake city they didn't go that far did they? and why you have to whine even before we get to know if the complaint is accepted? I wouldn't say that isu is really prone to go back on its decision...

In slc the French score was removed from the top 2's score so that created a tie and thy decided to give two golds because a tie was created. Here people are trying to invalidate the scores of more than one Judge and maybe the technical panel. The result is that only sotnikovas score is being attacked and trying to be eliminated from the results. So sotnikova with a score eliminated is going to keep gold?

Ven

Match Penalty
The worst part is the bigger this gets the more it attaches itself to Yuna's legacy. In that regard I can see why she wanted to move on. In an ideal world this would only be a stain on the ISU but the truth is in 20 years from now this might be the FIRST thing people think when they hear the name Kim Yuna. That would be a real shame.

If she is to be martyred for the sake of the sport I hope we see some significant changes that are positive and not just a scandal that goes nowhere and serves to only damage the sport. I'm hoping for the best. :unsure:

No, it doesn't. Yuna handles herself like a woman with poise in just about everything she does, including in this case. Your little girl Julia was just that an immature little girl falling all over the ice. That will be her legacy. ;)

Symmetry

Rinkside

Calm down. No one is trying to take a gold medal away from Adelina. How could anyone disqualify her score and not others where the same set of judges were involved? This is not about Adelina.