South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging | Page 11 | Golden Skate

South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging

CarneAsada

Medalist
Sorry, but this is a patently untrue statement, otherwise there wouldn't be so many posts arguing the case for and against the validity of the OGM result.
Probably meant Vancouver. A few sentences later he mentions Kostner might even have deserved the gold.

capcomeback

On the Ice
Sorry, but this is a patently untrue statement, otherwise there wouldn't be so many posts arguing the case for and against the validity of the OGM result.

Pangtongfan seems to be engaging in some hyperbole. Still, the point is valid. Many more seem to disagree with the judging than don't. It seems like there are too many red flags to ignore.

Glen Parry

Rinkside
Pangtongfan seems to be engaging in some hyperbole. Still, the point is valid. Many more seem to disagree with the judging than don't. It seems like there are too many red flags to ignore.

More than hyperbole, I'm afraid, downright rudeness to both those posting views which disagree with his/hers and to, at least 2 of the skaters being discussed.

As for the stance that more disagree with the result than agree that is open to debate. In any sporting event; or even the tedious world of reality TV entertainment series, those pushing the "We Woz robbed!", conspiracy point of view are always more vocal than those who see no evidence of wrongdoing. One only need look at all the comments on all the, mislabelled, YouTube clips that purport to be the Sochi LP, to realise that many of those who are loudest at screaming foul didn't even see the Olympic Women's competition (obviously this doesn't apply to a forum dedicated to figure skating), and are simply jumping on the latest Internet bandwagon.

Reasoned debate is a good thing. It can often be very educational, but slinging insults at all who disagree with us and claiming to be superior, in some way, to those who don't see things in the same way we do adds nothing to any discussion and is more likely to have the effect of convincing others that there is less substance to the arguments being presented than might, potentially, be the case.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Reasoned debate is a good thing. It can often be very educational, but slinging insults at all who disagree with us and claiming to be superior, in some way, to those who don't see things in the same way we do adds nothing to any discussion and is more likely to have the effect of convincing others that there is less substance to the arguments being presented than might, potentially, be the case.

:yes: pretty much. Neither side is helping here.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

For every rare poster (I can basically count them on one hand and they all come across as trolls, and only 2 or 3 of them even remain unbanned, lol) who argues for it there are atleast 30 who have argued the overall womens competition was a farce and fiasco, and it goes well beyond Yu Na Kim winning the gold or not btw.

gmyers

Record Breaker
For every rare poster (I can basically count them on one hand and they all come across as trolls, and only 2 or 3 of them even remain unbanned, lol) who argues for it there are atleast 30 who have argued the overall womens competition was a farce and fiasco, and it goes well beyond Yu Na Kim winning the gold or not btw.

Then why If its so unanimous around the world does sotnikova still have gold?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Since the world does not decide skating medals. A corrupt ISU and corrupt panel of judges who have embarassed the sport for decades do. How many people do you think agree with Petrenko's gold medal with his circus clown performance with about 5 major mistakes in 1992 (which beat Wylie's also not technically flawless but inspired skate) ? Probably him, his mom, his future wife, and his coach, and that is it. He still has his joke medal though.

Anyway the ISU has gotten what they deserve as the sport is almost dead and bankrupt so good for them, their legacy can be the group who led to the extinction of international skating. The days of a fair and clean sport when honorable people like Bianchetti ruled and skating popularity was booming (for a reason other than Tonya Harding) vs the corruption of people like Cinquanta, Putin, Piseev, and Shekhovtseva is long in the past.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Since the world does not decide skating medals. A corrupt ISU and corrupt panel of judges who have embarassed the sport for decades do. How many people do you think agree with Petrenko's gold medal with his circus clown performance with about 5 major mistakes in 1992 (which beat Wylie's also not technically flawless but inspired skate) ? Probably him, his mom, his future wife, and his coach, and that is it. He still has his joke medal though.

People think they have proof of corruption here in this case and there's an official dispute of sotnikovas gold medal by a federation so why does sotnikova in this specific instance still have gold?

Glen Parry

Rinkside

Again, I would posit that it is far more common for those who disagree with a result to complain than those who hold the opposing point of view, therefore I would argue that your claim of overwhelming support is based on far too small a sample to be representative, and I would strongly disagree that this is not mainly about the notion that Ya Nu Kim should have won the gold. It is not just those who have expressed the view that Adelina Sotnikova deserved the OGM that felt the barbed remarks from those who have been most strident in their promotion of the idea that there was a conspiracy to denude Kim of a second OGM. Sadly the insults have also been directed at those who appear to be of a somewhat neutral frame of mind.

Hyperbole is all very well and good, but if you are going to use if as a debating tool you must be prepared for it being spotted as such.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
More than hyperbole, I'm afraid, downright rudeness to both those posting views which disagree with his/hers and to, at least 2 of the skaters being discussed....

...Reasoned debate is a good thing. It can often be very educational, but slinging insults at all who disagree with us and claiming to be superior, in some way, to those who don't see things in the same way we do adds nothing to any discussion and is more likely to have the effect of convincing others that there is less substance to the arguments being presented than might, potentially, be the case.

Indeed. The bigger/louder the tantrum, the less likely that anyone will pay attention.

"...sound and fury, signifying nothing..."

Glen Parry

Rinkside
Oh No! The Hamlet soliloquy!

Many, many years ago, when I was, apparently, the first dyslexic recognised by an Ontario school board, I had to spend an entire year of high school trying to write that out in copper plate script.

Even now my hand shakes when I hear it :eek:;)

Mena719

Rinkside
People think they have proof of corruption here in this case and there's an official dispute of sotnikovas gold medal by a federation so why does sotnikova in this specific instance still have gold?

Sotnikovas medal won't get taken away no matter what the outcome is unless they can prove wrongdoing by her. I actually do believe her results are fair at least as fair as Sarah Hughes winning in SLC.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States

Many, many years ago, when I was, apparently, the first dyslexic recognised by an Ontario school board, I had to spend an entire year of high school trying to write that out in copper plate script.

My inner "teacher's pet" (who always needs to be right :disapp:) felt compelled to look this up. It's actually from Macbeth, but I'm sorry to have stirred up painful memories. Dyslexia is far from being just "sound and fury!"

It doesn't work that way. Everyone around the world knows that Teodoro Mbasogo, President of Equitorial Guinea, is a corrupt tyrant. But he is still the President of Equitorial Guinea.

Maybe we should get up a petition. ;)

Glen Parry

Rinkside
My inner "teacher's pet" (who always needs to be right :disapp:) felt compelled to look this up. It's actually from Macbeth, but I'm sorry to have stirred up painful memories. Dyslexia is far from being just "sound and fury!"

I can laugh at myself for it. I always claim it's why every time I fired a missile, when I was in the army , the thing would go off with a BNAG! :laugh:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I think it's from Macbeth, not Hamlet.

Glen Parry

Rinkside
So it is. Daft thing being, I had to study Macbeth, immediately after moving to the UK. No wonder I failed English Lit.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
It doesn't work that way. Everyone around the world knows that Teodoro Mbasogo, President of Equitorial Guinea, is a corrupt tyrant. But he is still the President of Equitorial Guinea.

Maybe we should get up a petition. ;)
You are good at making up non-sequiturs, aren't you?

Just because it is difficult for the international community to oust a tyrant from power (bearing in mind that it would probably require miltary intervention, invasion, or somesuch)... it does not follow, that a sporting organisation is equally immune to "unanimous" international outcry.

BusyMom

Medalist
So it is. Daft thing being, I had to study Macbeth, immediately after moving to the UK. No wonder I failed English Lit.
I'm the lucky one then. Got A Midsummer Night's Dream and R&J during my first year. The Puck safe me after all.

regdude

Spectator
Korea is corrupt...

Regardless of any corruption at Sochi, it is very offensive for Korea to do this at the beginning of Worlds. If Korea was concerned about the purity of sport, they wouldn't have timed their 'complaint' to strategically coincide with Worlds. For Korea to choose this time to formally accuse the Russian judges of favoritism against Asians is an outright vicious gesture against the Worlds competitors, particularly Russian ones. Talk about a corrupt conspiracy. I hope ISU smacks Korea down for their blatant attack on the athletes. (I will say, though, that it was supremely stupid to have those two judges on at Sochi, because it allowed conspiracy theories to fester and caused Korea to retaliate in such a way against Worlds. Hopefully this won't happen again, because this is why we can't have nice things.)