South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging | Page 17 | Golden Skate

South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging

capcomeback

On the Ice
I did my best to read through 94 pages of Russian forum thread and to report here what majority posters say. I have absolutely no bias in all this as my favorite skater sadly not competing anymore. I was pleasantly surprised at objectivity which majority of posters demonstrated on the subject considering their 'conflict of interest' in Adelina's win. And you can note that I joined this forum over a year ago (read it much longer)

I for one appreciate your views. Thank you for taking your time to share what others are thinking. :)

Tutto

Record Breaker
I for one appreciate your views. Thank you for taking your time to share what others are thinking. :)

Nice of you to say so! :p It's funny the way some people on this forum manage to react to posts which happen not to support their views. I am trying to 'dig' a bit more info on Alla the Judge on russian web, so far found a blog heavily criticising her for ruining ice dance (!) for Russia but that was few months before Sochi...

capcomeback

On the Ice
Nice of you to say so! :p It's funny the way some people on this forum manage to react to posts which happen not to support their views. I am trying to 'dig' a bit more info on Alla the Judge on russian web, so far found a blog heavily criticising her for ruining ice dance (!) for Russia but that was few months before Sochi...

People can be touchy that way. :biggrin: Yeah, it seemed that Alla had been very powerful in the world of Ice Dance, but was blamed for Russia getting shutout in Ice Dance in Vancouver in 2010.

usethis2

Medalist
I did my best to read through 94 pages of Russian forum thread and to report here what majority posters say. I have absolutely no bias in all this as my favorite skater sadly not competing anymore. I was pleasantly surprised at objectivity which majority of posters demonstrated on the subject considering their 'conflict of interest' in Adelina's win. And you can note that I joined this forum over a year ago (read it much longer)

It's just one person. I am one person, too, but I genuinely appreciate your sharing. I was so happy and relieved to learn that some posters (whatever their ties are to Putin) here do not represent the majority of Russian skating fans who are knowledgeable, sensible, and courageous. I would even more appreciate it if you share further details. Please do not be discouraged by troll tactics. You will quickly learn who's who.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
People can be touchy that way. :biggrin: Yeah, it seemed that Alla had been very powerful in the world of Ice Dance, but was blamed for Russia getting shutout in Ice Dance in Vancouver in 2010.

Didn't they win a bronze medal, with some pretty bad programs? The aboriginal dance and the long program with ropes, as I recall. I think Alla did her job.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
It's just one person. I am one person, too, but I do appreciate you sharing. I was happy and relieved to learn that some posters (whatever their ties are to Putin) here do not represent the majority of Russian skating fans who are knowledgeable, sensible, and courageous. I would even more appreciate if you share further details.

:agree: Same here!

melissa_ire, if you have time, could you share translations of a few Russian posts that you feel are representative of the overall feeling? Regardless of whose "side" they're on, I would appreciate the opportunity to read them. Again, only if you have time -- I recognize that it's a lot of work. Many thanks!

Ven

Match Penalty
Why should Alla have judged every single one of Sotnikova's events this year? Has anyone explained why Alla was Sotnikova's personal handler all season? There are many other Russian judges qualified for singles ISU competitions. Imagine if the same person refereed every Lakers game all season? Or the same umpire worked all Yankees games? When there are many qualified....how would that be allowed?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Why should Alla have judged every single one of Sotnikova's events this year? Has anyone explained why Alla was Sotnikova's personal handler all season? There are many other Russian judges qualified for singles ISU competitions. Imagine if the same person refereed every Lakers game all season? Or the same umpire worked all Yankees games? When there are many qualified....how would that be allowed?

I guess to Sotbots it was just an amazing coincidence.

gmyers

Record Breaker

This is something South Korea could use to strip sotnikova of her gold. Whenever sotniova competed she was using shekhovtseva to lobby judges as her own personal lobbyists among the judging panel. This makes it seem like since shekhovtseva couldn't make sotnikova better on the ice in terms of Performance sotnikova was using shekhovtseva as her lobbyist in the judging panel.

sk8in

Match Penalty
I really don't understand why the judges have to have a relationship with any individual skating federation. Should they be international? Sure. But the important thing is that they're trained and work totally outside the actual competitors' organisations.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Based on some theories russian federation may have had a season long plan to send shekhovtseva everywhere sotnikova went to give her th highest scores and move the sotnikova corridor steadily upward. Or shekhovtseva was used season long to campaign among all the judges for higher scores for Russians and especially sotnikova. Then really lucked out when the expert fixer was appointed to the ladies panel and shekhovtseva used balkovs fixing skills to make more judges give sotnikova higher scores and because shekhovtseva was being used to move the corridor for sotnikova ever upward anyway when you mix that with Olympic inflation maybe they could get away with it.

Ven

Match Penalty
This is something South Korea could use to strip sotnikova of her gold.

I know you are saying this with sarcasm, but the joke is on you. The olympic medals in figure skating (past and present) literally mean nothing after the Sochi fiasco. They are a joke. Anyone who has ever won one might as well stick a "best dad" or "best mom" badge on their jacket and wear that around.

Moving forward from 2014, skaters' abilities and legacies will speak for themselves in the forum of public opinion.

As Yuna said, let her be remembered simply as a skater, and not as a gold medal or silver medal winner.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I know you are saying this with sarcasm, but the joke is on you. The olympic medals in figure skating (past and present) literally mean nothing after the Sochi fiasco. They are a joke. Anyone who has ever won one might as well stick a "best dad" or "best mom" badge on their jacket and wear that around.

Moving forward from 2014, skaters' abilities and legacies will speak for themselves in the forum of public opinion.

As Yuna said, let her be remembered simply as a skater, and not as a gold medal or silver medal winner.

So you're saying even if Yuna did get sochi gold if an investigation found fraud that the initial awarding of sotnikova gold ruined the idea of gold forever?

usethis2

Medalist
Yuna's legacy is secure. She and Mao were the two best skaters since the birth of COP. That's almost a decade of domination between them. Not only did they dominate, they also defended COP against those who disliked the increased physical demands on athletes and resulting ugly performances in competitions brought by COP. But COP advocates could point to Yuna and Mao's skating as a proof that the system can work without sacrificing neither the technical merits nor the artistry. There are so many memorable programs between these two that were medal-winning performances at the same time. (Even Sonia Bianchetti, who intensely dislikes COP, has had no choice but to acknowledge Yuna's skating)

It will be interesting to see how the next generation of women's skating will unfold before our eyes.

Antilopa

On the Ice
lol, I've got it. If you like skater you should.. you must call her Mao, Caro, Adelina, Yuna, Julia etc.
Otherwise you call her sotnikova, kim, lipnitskaya, kostner..
How it's stupid, biased and disrespectful!

Alba

Record Breaker
Didn't they win a bronze medal, with some pretty bad programs? The aboriginal dance and the long program with ropes, as I recall. I think Alla did her job.

Because she insisted for that horrible program. The aboriginal dance. She wouldn't listen all the Others who were saying there is no chance for them to win. Not with that program.

Alba

Record Breaker
I really don't understand why the judges have to have a relationship with any individual skating federation.

Or worse, held high official position themselves in their skating federation. Like vice-president for example?

cooper

Medalist
Or worse, held high official position themselves in their skating federation. Like vice-president for example?

nothing beats when someone who is at every skater's competition from a strong fed with several judges they can choose from..but something about her.. :yes:

Tutto

Record Breaker
:agree: Same here!

melissa_ire, if you have time, could you share translations of a few Russian posts that you feel are representative of the overall feeling? Regardless of whose "side" they're on, I would appreciate the opportunity to read them. Again, only if you have time -- I recognize that it's a lot of work. Many thanks!

No prob will do so in a day or so, busy at work at the moment