South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging | Page 2 | Golden Skate

South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, it doesn't. Yuna handles herself like a woman with poise in just about everything she does, including in this case. Your little girl Julia was just that an immature little girl falling all over the ice. That will be her legacy. ;)

You can't control how people think and what they associate with Yuna's legacy. Just like I can't with Yulia. I do know something about human nature and people usually find the most topical reasons to remember someone. Often what they read or watch in the news. Obviously you and I and most people on this forum won't think of a scandal on first thought of Yuna but the truth is the general public remembers bits and pieces of this sport and almost entirely thru the lens of the Olympics.

My point isn't a slight on Yuna in the least. I have nothing but respect for her and often look to her as an example of strength thru kindness and respect. Not sure why you feel the need to insult other skaters in this situation.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IMO, the technical panel is just as suspect as the judging panel, if not more so.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Calm down. No one is trying to take a gold medal away from Adelina. How could anyone disqualify her score and not others where the same set of judges were involved? This is not about Adelina.

Of course this whole thing is about taking the gold away from Adelina and giving it to Yuna. The whole point is to prove the judges have illegimate scores to Adelina and her only and then take away her gold.

Ven

Match Penalty
IMO, the technical panel is just as suspect as the judging panel, if not more so.

Yep, but really it indicates systemic cheating throughout the ISU that isn't just limited to one judge or caller or one part of the scoring system.

At this point the ISU has no credibility for investigating itself and any inquiry should be conducted by an independent third party.

elif

Medalist
They want the panel discredited so sotnikova's gold is taken Away and given for Yuna Kim. They want sotnikova score erased.

If an extraordinary situation is uncovered its not impossible that a result would be to formally disqualify sotnikova and her medal given to Yuna. That's what they want to happen. A formal asterisk next to sotnikovas name at least is what they are after.

Oh yes. This is Gracie Gold's chance for olympic ladies bronze medal then. :laugh:

It doesn't appear they are suggesting wrongdoing, but rather that they didn't like the composition of the judging panel.

That is an excellent point. If we could address that issue first, this whole exercise would be of value. Once the tech and judging panels were seated, evidently the game was over.

At 2002 Worlds, I remeber Dick Button commenting before the skating began that "with this panel of judges it will not be possible for Michelle Kwan to place ahead of Irina Slutskaya no matter the skating." I think that is the main problem that the ISU must tackle. The outcome is determined more by the judges than by the skaters. :disagree:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Of course this whole thing is about taking the gold away from Adelina and giving it to Yuna. The whole point is to prove the judges have illegimate scores to Adelina and her only and then take away her gold.

Get a grip. They wouldn't take away Adelina's gold unless she was actually involved in wrongdoing and somehow actually colluded w/ the judges or something. No one is alleging anything like that. A more likely scenario is for a 2nd gold to be awarded, as happened in SLC pairs event in 2002.

Ven

Match Penalty
If particular judges are intent on disregarding scoring rules, then the makeup of the judging and tech panels should come into question. It calls into question all results, if some judges or tech callers willfully and systematically committed fraud according to pre-determined political deals.

BlackPack

Medalist
Get a grip. They wouldn't take away Adelina's gold unless she was actually involved in wrongdoing and somehow actually colluded w/ the judges or something. No one is alleging anything like that. A more likely scenario is for a 2nd gold to be awarded, as happened in SLC pairs event in 2002.

God I hope not.:bang::slink: If they ever do that again, they really need to have a silver medalist this time :biggrin:

gmyers

Record Breaker

The only reason 2 golds were given out in slc was because removing the French judge created a tie. The two golds was actually based on the remaining scores and not just made up. If scores for sotnikova are found to be illegimate by the judges and technical panel and are Thrown out then so probably will be sotnikovas results. Or they decide to score her accurately and she gets another medal and they are reordered or they eliminate her score from the records but keep her in first. I don't think eliminating sotnikovas score or promoting Yuna to gold with sotnikova makes sense.

God I hope not.:bang::slink: If they ever do that again, they really need to have a silver medalist this time :biggrin:

That is true! I think the one thing that almost everyone agrees with is that Carloina Kostner deserved the silver medal. Except for those who thought she deserved gold. :)

Meoima

Match Penalty
Obviously the skaters would never give themselves the scores. I doubt that they would take the gold medal away from Sonitkova, because if they found some wrong-doing, then it's the judges/system's fault, not her fault. They would like what: "Hello Adelina, we have just found out we over-scored you so we will take the gold back."?
If any, I think at best/worst, they would let Adelina keep her gold, at the same time give another gold medal for Kim, silver for Kostner, and another bronze for Gold. Meh... What a mess this situation is.:mad:

chloepoco

Medalist
No, it doesn't. Yuna handles herself like a woman with poise in just about everything she does, including in this case. Your little girl Julia was just that an immature little girl falling all over the ice. That will be her legacy. ;)

Posts like this are unnecessary.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
They are clearly not JUST upset with the composition of the judging panel otherwise they would have protested when the panel was announced and not after the result. Had Yu Na won with the same panel they obviously would have thought the panel was perfectly fine.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
That is true! I think the one thing that almost everyone agrees with is that Carloina Kostner deserved the silver medal. Except for those who thought she deserved gold. :)

I understand your point and don't disagree. What troubles me is that Sotnikova would be penalized for something that was out of her control. All she did was skate, right? Whatever shenanigans were going on in the judging & tech panels, she wasn't a part of that. If she was, g*d help us -- that would be a whole other ball game.

Re-awarding the medals would definitely be the best outcome. I just feel bad that if it happens, Adelina will end up as collateral damage because hers is the most recognizable face in the story. The judges and whoever else was involved deserve whatever punishment they get, not a 17-year-old kid. And heck, I'm not even one of her fans!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Seeing this makes me glad that Adelina isn't going to worlds. At the end if the day she is probably a fairly self conscience 17yr old girl who is very susceptible to this type of drama and criticism. It wasn't that long ago that I was the same age and I would completely obsess over insignificant things like my clothes or how my friends thought of me. Can you imagine thinking that there is a large collection of people out there questioning and criticizing everything you've accomplished. I know it's the judges in question but its easy to be an irrational 17 yr old girl who makes everything about herself. It's almost expected and not an insult to be a normal kid IMO.

moviechick

On the Ice
If nothing came out from their complaint re: Paul Hamm, I kinda doubt this is getting anywhere. It's also a little late.

jaylee

Medalist
If nothing came out from their complaint re: Paul Hamm, I kinda doubt this is getting anywhere. It's also a little late.

Not too late to change the scoring system (i.e. removal of anonymous judging) and training/expectations of judges and the technical panel so that the chances of this happening again are reduced.