South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging | Page 22 | Golden Skate

South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think from how things are going, the gold medal will be handed to the rightful owner.

It is with its rightful owner - Adelina.

Think about what you're saying for a second. You want to take away a gold medal from a young girl who skated her heart out and absolutely deserved it, and instead give it to someone else who to be frank did not have her heart on that ice?

usethis2

Medalist
Think about what you're saying for a second. You want to take away a gold medal from a young girl who skated her heart out and absolutely deserved it, and instead give it to someone else who to be frank did not have her heart on that ice?
Forever-recurring nonsense. Do you have an ability to read minds? I would think every skater tries to skate their best, including with their hearts, livers, kidneys, etc. out on the ice.

And in any case "skating your heart out" is not how winners are decided. It doesn't matter if I threw myself on the ice to repeat 1T for 4 minutes like my life depends on it. No one will give me a medal for that.

Medals are decided. Adelina got gold, Yuna got silver, Carolina got bronze. End of story. chalk5's personal wish will not be fulfilled, unfortunately. But I really hope to hear less of this nonsensical "skating heart out." It can be a compliment to a skater's performance, but that is not what competitions are decided on.

nguyenghita

On the Ice

Excuse me, who is the one you mentioned "did not have her heart on that ice?" :rolleye:

Seriously, you guys who defended that Russian teen girl didn't have any way to put down Yuna other than blamed her heart, a thing you absolutely never understand clearly unless you are herself???? That's a thing I see so annoying as the same level as insulting Adelina, you're words seem so mature, but in fact just as childish as some ubers here or there :rolleye:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Excuse me, who is the one you mentioned "did not have her heart on that ice?" :rolleye:

Seriously, you guys who defended that Russian teen girl didn't have any way to put down Yuna other than blamed her heart, a thing you absolutely never understand clearly unless you are herself???? That's a thing I see so annoying as the same level as insulting Adelina, you're words seem so mature, but in fact just as childish as some ubers here or there :rolleye:

Yuna definitely did not have her heart on that ice. I think it's very obvious that she has been pressured into competing by the KSU for the last few years. That's not an insult -certainly not one directed at Yuna, anyway.

Adelina was better on the night.

And I'd love to know if any of you clamouring for Adelina's gold to be taken from her would have the balls to go up to her face and try.

chalk5

Match Penalty
I am so sorry to tell you this, but medals will be changed after this incident, at least for the safety of Adelina's career. Because if the medals don't change, you can kiss Adelina good bye from figure skating. Either way, dumb decisions both ways. Sorry not sorry.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Yuna definitely did not have her heart on that ice. I think it's very obvious that she has been pressured into competing by the KSU for the last few years. That's not an insult -certainly not one directed at Yuna, anyway.

I didn't realize "not having your heart on the ice" is part of the scoring? Where is that in the protocols?
What should have been judged were the actual performances, not whether a skater was motivated or not.
And IMO, Yuna was motivated in Sochi. Just that she had a different reason and motivation there than in Vancouver where "she could die for gold". Also, if skating with a cracked foot in front of an audience who just literally wanted to see you fall on your butt and knowing you couldn't win no matter what and going clean and fantastic anyway does not qualify for "not having your heart on the ice", I don't know what does.

Aside from spins, how was Adelina better than Yuna on that night? Analyses of element per element showed that indeed Yuna, Caro and Mao (in FS) were better than Adelina in both execution and artistry. If you can present valid evidence that Adelina did elements better than those 3, please don't hesitate to show people. Up until now, there isn't any that says that. At least, not that I know of.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

And I'd love to know if any of you clamouring for Adelina's gold to be taken from her would have the balls to go up to her face and try.

No. Adelina was not better that night.

Adelina did have a great skate but under any other panel in the world that bother to have some level of impartiality like making right technical calls, she will never get anywhere to the top 3 with the likes of Kim, Kostner, Asada who all had their career best free skates.

Yuna lost to no one but the judging that night. In fact the whole sport has.

pec0

Match Penalty
Cinq came to Japan and held press conference on 27th and said ISU has not yet received the official complaint from Korea.

First part of the article:South Korean skating and Olympic officials are calling on the International Skating Union (ISU) to investigate controversial judging at the Sochi Olympics that awarded Russian Adelina Sotnikova a gold medal over Yuna Kim.

Howdy fellow fanatics,

I thought I'd share this NBC Sports update from today indicating that the South Korean skating federation will be filing an official complaint over the controversial ladies' judging at the Olympics:

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/20...im-figure-skating-olympics-judging-complaint/

--Michael

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Cinq came to Japan and held press conference on 27th and said ISU has not yet received the official complaint from Korea.

Did Cinq say anything about the elimination of short program and other reform plans?

RABID

Final Flight

Or they do like they did in Salt Lake City; not so difficult.

Ophelia

Record Breaker

This is one of the dumbest lines of reasoning I've heard in support of Adelina. Having your heart vs not having your heart doesn't determine the medal. What determines the medal is who throws down the best skating. As much as I love Yuna Kim's skating, I do think she's been semi zoned-out ever since Vancouver, but you cannot deny she DELIVERS every time she gets on the ice.

capcomeback

On the Ice

Adelina is the rightful owner of the medal. She's not on trial here. The process that awarded her the medal and the officiating of the event is on trial.

I wonder if the Korean Federation will actually follow through on their announced intention to protest, or if they feel that they have made their point with the announcement and that there is nothing further to be gained by persevering.

capcomeback

On the Ice
Look at the programs between D and W and V and M and you can see why the sophistication and the fact V and M really dance don't just do tricks and you can see why the pcs could be higher significantly than D and W. My point is that the results are in the real of possibility in all the events though all the second place teams good arguments could be to have them first. And in the end as we kill skating and skating is on a downhill roll who really cares sadly. The sport is being attacked left and right and doesn't have the skating personalities anyways to help its case - No one has the personality of say a Weir. Almost all the American girls can be switched - miss america, princesses. The Asian dominating ladies have had trouble getting their personalities, not great skates out there. and in Russia you never know who the champion will be.

To be honest, the notion that D&W win because of performing tricks better than anybody else is getting old. D&W skate with breathtaking speed. It's hard work and unison. "Twizzles" are in essence a dance step in this context (and Tessa had her problems with them). They require total unison (which suits the notion of dancing). V&M are excellent Ice Dancers (among the best to ever grace the ice), but to say that D&W's choreography, interpretation and presentation are significantly behind V&M smacks of "homerism.". Yes, V&M are incredibly creative, but the things that D&W do can be equally stunning and should not be merely chalked up to technical superiority.

Before we let this program drift too far off course, let's remember that we're talking about Korea's protest buit I had to toss my two cents in. :biggrin:).

MiRé

Match Penalty
I wonder if the Korean Federation will actually follow through on their announced intention to protest, or if they feel that they have made their point with the announcement and that there is nothing further to be gained by persevering.

unfortunately, KSU have been hit with another disastrous controversy regarding sexual harassment that occurred within their curling team. Their coaches were flamed for sexually and verbally abusing female korean curling team. KSU won't do **** that actually benefits their athletes. I'm not surprised KSU hasn't sent the complaint yet. They claim they did, but some reports say they didn't.

capcomeback

On the Ice
I am so sorry to tell you this, but medals will be changed after this incident, at least for the safety of Adelina's career. Because if the medals don't change, you can kiss Adelina good bye from figure skating. Either way, dumb decisions both ways. Sorry not sorry.

How would you justify this medal exchange? I don't agree with the podium either, but what criteria would you use to change the medals? "She skated better because I thought so?" Under what reasonable authority or justification would you use?

The only way to do this even somewhat fairly would be to re-score the whole event (and that cannot even be done fairly). The result are final. What needs to happen is to get to the bottom of this fiasco and deal with fixing the problem. The first problem is getting rid of the tone deaf head of the ISU and then split the ISU into a Figure Skating Body and a Speed Skating Body (both run by competent people).

MiRé

Match Penalty
How would you justify this medal exchange? I don't agree with the podium either, but what criteria would you use to change the medals? "She skated better because I thought so?" Under what reasonable authority or justification would you use?

The only way to do this even somewhat fairly would be to re-score the whole event (and that cannot even be done fairly). The result are final. What needs to happen is to get to the bottom of this fiasco and deal with fixing the problem. The first problem is getting rid of the tone deaf head of the ISU and then split the ISU into a Figure Skating Body and a Speed Skating Body (both run by competent people).

Well if Russia's Federation get caught purposely fixing the scores, then that would be enough reason to strip a medal from Adelina. Maybe even the team event.