Page 3 of 119 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 1775

Thread: South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging

  1. #31
    Custom Title BlackPack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    Get a grip. They wouldn't take away Adelina's gold unless she was actually involved in wrongdoing and somehow actually colluded w/ the judges or something. No one is alleging anything like that. A more likely scenario is for a 2nd gold to be awarded, as happened in SLC pairs event in 2002.
    God I hope not. If they ever do that again, they really need to have a silver medalist this time

  2. #32
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,724
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    Get a grip. They wouldn't take away Adelina's gold unless she was actually involved in wrongdoing and somehow actually colluded w/ the judges or something. No one is alleging anything like that. A more likely scenario is for a 2nd gold to be awarded, as happened in SLC pairs event in 2002.
    The only reason 2 golds were given out in slc was because removing the French judge created a tie. The two golds was actually based on the remaining scores and not just made up. If scores for sotnikova are found to be illegimate by the judges and technical panel and are Thrown out then so probably will be sotnikovas results. Or they decide to score her accurately and she gets another medal and they are reordered or they eliminate her score from the records but keep her in first. I don't think eliminating sotnikovas score or promoting Yuna to gold with sotnikova makes sense.

  3. #33
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,351
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    God I hope not. If they ever do that again, they really need to have a silver medalist this time
    That is true! I think the one thing that almost everyone agrees with is that Carloina Kostner deserved the silver medal. Except for those who thought she deserved gold.

  4. #34
    Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    4,242
    Obviously the skaters would never give themselves the scores. I doubt that they would take the gold medal away from Sonitkova, because if they found some wrong-doing, then it's the judges/system's fault, not her fault. They would like what: "Hello Adelina, we have just found out we over-scored you so we will take the gold back."?
    If any, I think at best/worst, they would let Adelina keep her gold, at the same time give another gold medal for Kim, silver for Kostner, and another bronze for Gold. Meh... What a mess this situation is.

  5. #35
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    No, it doesn't. Yuna handles herself like a woman with poise in just about everything she does, including in this case. Your little girl Julia was just that an immature little girl falling all over the ice. That will be her legacy.
    Posts like this are unnecessary.

  6. #36
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5,066
    They are clearly not JUST upset with the composition of the judging panel otherwise they would have protested when the panel was announced and not after the result. Had Yu Na won with the same panel they obviously would have thought the panel was perfectly fine.

  7. #37
    Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    939
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    That is true! I think the one thing that almost everyone agrees with is that Carloina Kostner deserved the silver medal. Except for those who thought she deserved gold.
    I understand your point and don't disagree. What troubles me is that Sotnikova would be penalized for something that was out of her control. All she did was skate, right? Whatever shenanigans were going on in the judging & tech panels, she wasn't a part of that. If she was, g*d help us -- that would be a whole other ball game.

    Re-awarding the medals would definitely be the best outcome. I just feel bad that if it happens, Adelina will end up as collateral damage because hers is the most recognizable face in the story. The judges and whoever else was involved deserve whatever punishment they get, not a 17-year-old kid. And heck, I'm not even one of her fans!

  8. #38
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    3,231
    Seeing this makes me glad that Adelina isn't going to worlds. At the end if the day she is probably a fairly self conscience 17yr old girl who is very susceptible to this type of drama and criticism. It wasn't that long ago that I was the same age and I would completely obsess over insignificant things like my clothes or how my friends thought of me. Can you imagine thinking that there is a large collection of people out there questioning and criticizing everything you've accomplished. I know it's the judges in question but its easy to be an irrational 17 yr old girl who makes everything about herself. It's almost expected and not an insult to be a normal kid IMO.

  9. #39
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    433
    If nothing came out from their complaint re: Paul Hamm, I kinda doubt this is getting anywhere. It's also a little late.

  10. #40
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechick View Post
    If nothing came out from their complaint re: Paul Hamm, I kinda doubt this is getting anywhere. It's also a little late.
    Not too late to change the scoring system (i.e. removal of anonymous judging) and training/expectations of judges and the technical panel so that the chances of this happening again are reduced.

  11. #41
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,502
    If they decide to open the judging for examination, it will be a mess. If they are going to re-examine Adelina and Yu-Na's scores then they'll need to re-examine all of the scores, not just the top 2. Nobody is paying much attention to the fact that Julia was grossly overscored as well b/c she didn't medal, but she still managed to score extremely well with multiple mistakes in her programs. One can argue that both Ashley and Mao should have placed ahead of her but that they were underscored and Julia was held up. Let's look at those results as well.

    If they're going to look at one, they need to look at them all...and if they're going to rearrange one result, they need to rearrange all of them...if we're talking about fairness here.

  12. #42
    In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    613
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    If they decide to open the judging for examination, it will be a mess. If they are going to re-examine Adelina and Yu-Na's scores then they'll need to re-examine all of the scores, not just the top 2. Nobody is paying much attention to the fact that Julia was grossly overscored as well b/c she didn't medal, but she still managed to score extremely well with multiple mistakes in her programs. One can argue that both Ashley and Mao should have placed ahead of her but that they were underscored and Julia was held up. Let's look at those results as well.

    If they're going to look at one, they need to look at them all...and if they're going to rearrange one result, they need to rearrange all of them...if we're talking about fairness here.

  13. #43
    Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    4,242
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    If they decide to open the judging for examination, it will be a mess. If they are going to re-examine Adelina and Yu-Na's scores then they'll need to re-examine all of the scores, not just the top 2. Nobody is paying much attention to the fact that Julia was grossly overscored as well b/c she didn't medal, but she still managed to score extremely well with multiple mistakes in her programs. One can argue that both Ashley and Mao should have placed ahead of her but that they were underscored and Julia was held up. Let's look at those results as well.

    If they're going to look at one, they need to look at them all...and if they're going to rearrange one result, they need to rearrange all of them...if we're talking about fairness here.
    True, it would be a total mess. But what about erasing the anonymous status only? Show the public the scores of all the judges? If they dare to do that, it would be brave.

  14. #44
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    It doesn't appear they are suggesting wrongdoing, but rather that they didn't like the composition of the judging panel.
    So you think that they think the judges didn't do nothing wrong and they are filing an appeal just for fun?

  15. #45
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    True, it would be a total mess. But what about erasing the anonymous status only? Show the public the scores of all the judges? If they dare to do that, it would be brave.
    This would only be part 1! No way would it end with that. Releasing all the scores attached to the judges names would immediately call for investigations of collusion. South Korea is doing all they can to get Yuna that second gold and they wouldn't stop but rather keep going. They are probably joined by US and Canada and Germany as well. Maybe Japan too.

Page 3 of 119 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •