South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging | Page 3 | Golden Skate

South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
If they decide to open the judging for examination, it will be a mess. If they are going to re-examine Adelina and Yu-Na's scores then they'll need to re-examine all of the scores, not just the top 2. Nobody is paying much attention to the fact that Julia was grossly overscored as well b/c she didn't medal, but she still managed to score extremely well with multiple mistakes in her programs. One can argue that both Ashley and Mao should have placed ahead of her but that they were underscored and Julia was held up. Let's look at those results as well.

If they're going to look at one, they need to look at them all...and if they're going to rearrange one result, they need to rearrange all of them...if we're talking about fairness here.

desertskates

Medalist
:agree:
If they decide to open the judging for examination, it will be a mess. If they are going to re-examine Adelina and Yu-Na's scores then they'll need to re-examine all of the scores, not just the top 2. Nobody is paying much attention to the fact that Julia was grossly overscored as well b/c she didn't medal, but she still managed to score extremely well with multiple mistakes in her programs. One can argue that both Ashley and Mao should have placed ahead of her but that they were underscored and Julia was held up. Let's look at those results as well.

If they're going to look at one, they need to look at them all...and if they're going to rearrange one result, they need to rearrange all of them...if we're talking about fairness here.

Meoima

Match Penalty

True, it would be a total mess. But what about erasing the anonymous status only? Show the public the scores of all the judges? If they dare to do that, it would be brave.

gmyers

Record Breaker
True, it would be a total mess. But what about erasing the anonymous status only? Show the public the scores of all the judges? If they dare to do that, it would be brave.

This would only be part 1! No way would it end with that. Releasing all the scores attached to the judges names would immediately call for investigations of collusion. South Korea is doing all they can to get Yuna that second gold and they wouldn't stop but rather keep going. They are probably joined by US and Canada and Germany as well. Maybe Japan too.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Re-awarding the medals would definitely be the best outcome. I just feel bad that if it happens, Adelina will end up as collateral damage because hers is the most recognizable face in the story. The judges and whoever else was involved deserve whatever punishment they get, not a 17-year-old kid. And heck, I'm not even one of her fans!

There will be no re-awarding of the medals. If one judge is found corrupt, there's no way to tell that they placement or scores if throw out would result in a tie (as in SLC) or medal colour changing.

I think people need to just get over it. It's not like Kim doesn't already have a gold. Although arguably Kostner should have won. In fact, it would be hilarious if the South Korean's filed some inquiry only to discover Kostner was screwed over by the judges more than Yu Na and Kostner ended up winning gold or silver.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There will be no re-awarding of the medals. If one judge is found corrupt, there's no way to tell that they placement or scores if throw out would result in a tie (as in SLC) or medal colour changing.

I think people need to just get over it. It's not like Kim doesn't already have a gold. Although arguably Kostner should have won. In fact, it would be hilarious if the South Korean's filed some inquiry only to discover Kostner was screwed over by the judges more than Yu Na and Kostner ended up winning gold or silver.

Lol.. I said that from day one when the petition came out. I was mocked though by a few posters and said to carry an agenda disruptive to any discussion. To be honest I think both Yuna and Adelina got some good scores.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Since the scoring of the whole Olympic skating competition was terrible and largely corrupt, I would throw out the scores and results in every discipline except the team, have them redjudged by entirely new panels via video, and make those the new official results, whatever they turned out to be.

ann918

Rinkside
I feel as if people are biased to look fair.
Scores at Sochi was very hard to understand. But it feels like everyone is saying o well, there may have been some overscoring but it happened let's move on. besides, it's nobody's fault because adelina probably didn't make it to happen and it's unfair to bash her.
Regardless of the fact that it's probably a long shot to change the results I think there should legitimately be more outrage about the results and judging for the sake of FS. If anyone honestly, wholeheartedly believes that Adelina deserved the score of 224.59 i think he/she is delusional. We all know that judging FS will always be somewhat subjective and up to personal taste but that's exactly why the standard of judging needs to be transparent and up to the consistent standard that rules provide. That wasn't done at the olympics and I think any talk besides that is very off the point.
I think part of the problem is us, the fans, eating up the results of flawed judging, seeing it as problems of emotional fans and national pride.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^If you value the skating more than the rewards given to the skaters it's quite easy to move on. I might sound insane to you but that's how I feel. It's similar to what Yuna said going into Sochi. The results aren't the measure of a good skate but the skate itself. I completely agree with Yuna's philosophy and preach it to skaters I work with almost everyday!

gmyers

Record Breaker
If there is a camera from the judges perspective and it is shown on a big screen like a movie theater then all the judges chosen for a reevaluation can kind of get the simulation of reality and score it and see if they arrive at similar results and then isu can make that the official score. This is obviously a huge thing and whatever I think there going to be a possible new result soon.

^ Relax, this complaint is going nowhere. But…

Releasing all the scores attached to the judges names would immediately call for investigations of collusion.

Think about what you just wrote. If the facts were revealed evidence of collusion would be laid bare. Therefore secrecy must be maintained at all cost. It that your position? Food for thought, yes?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Since the scoring of the whole Olympic skating competition was terrible and largely corrupt, I would throw out the scores and results in every discipline except the team, have them redjudged by entirely new panels via video, and make those the new official results, whatever they turned out to be.

I'd say this should only be applied to the ladies event. The results of pairs, men's, and ice dance were fine (although I'm guess certain individuals will whine about P&T not winning bronze until the cows come home). The scores however were horrendous, but really, ladies was the only one where most of us would agree that the placements were off. Of course, Plushenko didn't deserve to win the men's team FS over Reynolds/Machida but that wouldn't have affected the results either.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This will likely go nowhere and it shouldn't. Did judging become more honest after cheating was uncovered in 2002? No. What needs to happen is for anonymous judging to end and for there to be consequences for cheating. Judges caught cheating should never judge again. Judges who have a conflict of interest should step aside. Judges in international competitions should answer to, and be compensated by, the ISU, not their federations. Technical controllers should have to justify their rulings and own up to mistakes. Too many mistakes and they should be fired, just like any other incompetent employee. Of course, none of this can happen unless the ISU changes, too. They tolerate cheating as long as it stays undercover. That has to change, too.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Does this mean that FS will no longer be part of the Olympics? I sure hope so

usethis2

Medalist
Sam-Skwantch said:
The worst part is the bigger this gets the more it attaches itself to Yuna's legacy. In that regard I can see why she wanted to move on. In an ideal world this would only be a stain on the ISU but the truth is in 20 years from now this might be the FIRST thing people think when they hear the name Kim Yuna. That would be a real shame.

If she is to be martyred for the sake of the sport I hope we see some significant changes that are positive and not just a scandal that goes nowhere and serves to only damage the sport. I'm hoping for the best.

No, it doesn't. Yuna handles herself like a woman with poise in just about everything she does, including in this case. Your little girl Julia was just that an immature little girl falling all over the ice. That will be her legacy. ;)

She (the one you quoted) reminds me of Vatican.

BlackPack

Medalist
Just curious... how many threads are there regarding Adelina and Yuna? Have there ever been more? Thousands of posts on this forum alone.

bebevia

On the Ice
Does this mean that FS will no longer be part of the Olympics? I sure hope so
I don't mind that for now, but it would be unlikely. Judging controversies happen all the time in other sports; in fact, whereas FS results are rarely protested against, other sports (as rules are simpler and more straightforward to detect, enabling 30min appeals) make frequent on-site protests. FS is a very little part in summary of Olympic scandals. If it is dropped from the Olympics for this incident, that would be unfair and becomes another controversy.

usethis2

Medalist
@BlackPack: This thread and step sequence analysis thread are the only ones that I see. Judging controversy thread, while Yuna and Adelina being highlight, is all things wrong about Sochi and figure skating. There is one thread about Adelina's sister which is now closed.

There are 26 other threads on the first page of this forum that do not involve Yuna or Adelina. ;)