South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging | Page 33 | Golden Skate

South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging

Procrastinator

On the Ice
Re the 2000 gymnasts, did they have extra medals in storage to ship to winners? Did they say, "Send us your silver and we'll send you back a gold?" Or did they just say, "Shazam! You can update your wiki entry to say you won gold in Sydney in 2000. Don't you feel better now?"

Do you mean for the team competition or the all around competition? For the team, where China was disqualified, I think they gave their own bronze medals back. For the all-around, the person upgraded from silver to gold was also Romanian and reports are unclear whether she ever actually gave the gold medal back to the original winner Raducan

Nadya

On the Ice
Also, by having her own show and sports agency, she's already a mega-millionaire and international star athlete who is one of Forbes's ten highest-paying female athletes of the year. Tons of other skaters perform in her shows and she signs all their checks. They are her employees. She's already got endorsements and an uncontested Olympic gold medal in a performance for the ages. She doesn't need a second Olympic gold. And in 2018 she'll light the flame at the opening ceremony and her face will be plastered everywhere, more so than the ruler next door to her up north in his country ...

I bet she's laughing the whole thing off. Yuna's got it made.

That being said, I'd be really interested in how the complaint and investigation pan out.

I think you overdid it a bit with the "employees" business. Performing in someone's show a few times does not form an employer-employee relationship. Short-term independent consultant, at the most.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
Christine Brennan as always just called things like they are. I am not surprised the Sotbots are not happy to be reminded of the truth, but oh well. Brennan knows more about figure skating than any of us put together, and has done more for the sport of figure skating than any of us put together. She certainly knows more than the incompetent panel of losers who judges the womens figure skating event in Sochi too. So mock her if you wish, she is laughing all the way to the bank, and she makes honest millions and is a rich lady just for doing her job in covering so many sports and avenues in womens life in general.

She implied that ex-Soviet countries should be banned from the judging panels because they "conspire" with Russia 24/7. She has made good articles and some good points, but the fact that she wants to discriminate like that is just plain wrong.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
She calls things as they are, and in this case did so again. I can understand how some empassioned Russian skating fans hate people like her, as she doesnt let things they pull like SLC pairs and this just be swept under the rug quietly. Thank goodness for people like her that mean Russians will always carry the asterisk of such actions, and they will never be forgotten.

Right. Russians are the only ones who cheat.

Brennan has made plenty of good points but she really does like to generalize Russians and other ex-Soviets and she really does have a seething hatred of Russia. She jumps on every opportunity to talk **** about Russia.

Last edited by a moderator:

fridakalo

Rinkside
With everyone jumping on Christine Brennan, I feel like I should put in a good word for her. :) She has made a career out of championing opportunities for girls and women in sports and especially in sports journalism. She has a long list of accomplishments that begin, "the first woman sports journalist to…"

Brennan is one of a small handful of national sports commentators and writers to treat figure skating as a real sport worthy of commenting and writing on. In the 1990s she wrote two influential books skating and skaters, Inside Edge and the Edge of Glory. She can be opinionated, bold, and brash; she speaks her mind without sugar-coating, which is not everyone's cup of tea. But the sport of figure skating has benefitted from her support as well as her criticisms over a 25 year career.

I think so. :yes:

:agree: I think so too

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
But judging by reactions basically the entire world would support South Korea in their court of arbitration for sport case. This is so beyond the isu or ioc rules of 60 days! That's just laughable. This will go to the CAS and then the CAS will demand testimony on the urging of South Korea and its allies from Lakernik, baranova, shekhovtseva, balkov, Kulik, and more and they will make the decision on the revoking of sotnikovas gold. Everyone who supports Yuna should be happy because she will get a gold from the sochi games. Too many people have made it their mission including entire federations and their allies.

I hate to say it but "the entire world" probably doesn't know or doesn't care. Us skating fans are the only ones who actually care. That being said, with no proof of corruption or cheating, not much can be done, especially since the KSU is busy demonstrating their incompetence...

I have a strong suspicion that Yuna wouldn't accept a gold medal even if it was given to her. She's a classy lady and I suspect that she's tired of all of this controversy and she herself said that she has moved on.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
What Kim Yuna does when sotnikovas gold is taken away and presented or offered to her is irrelevent. Maybe she would reject it and just say it would be better for the isu to enforce its one judge from one country rule and make a new rule banning former members of the same country from judging together on the same panel especially when so many have evidence based on names that Russia controls Ukrainian and Estonian federation!! The Estonian judges name is Kulik! Who else is named Kulik? The 1998 Olympic men's champion from Russia! All of this is going into south koreas case to revoke sotnikovas gold and give it to Yuna!

So I guess China and the UK wouldn't be able to judge together on the same panel! I mean they were both part of the British empire, right? So they are obviously best friends who conspire with each other 24/7! Don't even get me started on North and South Korea! I mean they're all Koreans! Of course they conspire with each other! Oh! I almost forgot Japan and Korea! They conspire with each other too!

EDIT: What evidence? The only evidence that there is so far is that the Ukrainian judge tried to cheat in 1998 (but from my knowledge, the evidence only recorded him stating an order skaters and there was no proof that that particular order wasn't just his prediction. I may be wrong though so please feel free to correct me.) We don't know what went on behind the scenes and we likely never will. Until we have proof, we can't accuse anyone.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
That's a benevolent way of interpreting it. The other, more cynical one, is that Brennan surveyed the field of sports journalism, and decided, that rather than be one of a million who cover baseball, she will be the only, or one of a small group, covering a niche sport. She picked figure skating as a better foundation for her career, not for the love of the sport.

I find her writing choppy, underinformed and appealing to the lowest denominator. The Inside Edge is poorly fact-checked and has glaring errors (calling a 4-time world champion a 3-time world champion, come on Brennan, spring for a damn research assistant before you publish and embarrass yourself, and join a gym already).

Also, speaking your mind is not necessarily a virtue; I mean, my 3-year old speaks his mind, so what? It only matters when what your mind produces is thoughtful and informative. If you deliver platitudes and sensationalism while speaking your mind, who cares?

Finally, I know you don't like it, but the fact of the matter is that there are so few books written on skating, every damn one of them is destined to become influential. It isn't exactly a crowded market.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

noskates

Record Breaker
I don't have as lofty an opinion about Christine Brennan. I think she's writes in a prejudicial manner and is not objective. I always read her stuff and take it as her opinion only. Which is worth about as much as mine or yours in the large scheme of things.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
I don't have as lofty an opinion about Christine Brennan. I think she's writes in a prejudicial manner and is not objective. I always read her stuff and take it as her opinion only. Which is worth about as much as mine or yours in the large scheme of things.

:agree:

anyanka

Record Breaker
I think you overdid it a bit with the "employees" business. Performing in someone's show a few times does not form an employer-employee relationship. Short-term independent consultant, at the most.

It was late at night, I agree it was a bit much on my part.
But the bottom line is that she's the one signing everyone's paychecks, at least where her show is concerned.
Unsure if other top skaters have their own shows (Mao does, I think). Anyone care to clarify / enlighten me?

gmyers

Record Breaker
I hate to say it but "the entire world" probably doesn't know or doesn't care. Us skating fans are the only ones who actually care. That being said, with no proof of corruption or cheating, not much can be done, especially since the KSU is busy demonstrating their incompetence...

I have a strong suspicion that Yuna wouldn't accept a gold medal even if it was given to her. She's a classy lady and I suspect that she's tired of all of this controversy and she herself said that she has moved on.

I mean the entire skating world it seems like! The almost unanimous thinking that the result is illegimate. That's going to factor in to the investigations that South Korea wants to happen.

So I guess China and the UK wouldn't be able to judge together on the same panel! I mean they were both part of the British empire, right? So they are obviously best friends who conspire with each other 24/7! Don't even get me started on North and South Korea! I mean they're all Koreans! Of course they conspire with each other! Oh! I almost forgot Japan and Korea! They conspire with each other too!

EDIT: What evidence? The only evidence that there is so far is that the Ukrainian judge tried to cheat in 1998 (but from my knowledge, the evidence only recorded him stating an order skaters and there was no proof that that particular order wasn't just his prediction. I may be wrong though so please feel free to correct me.) We don't know what went on behind the scenes and we likely never will. Until we have proof, we can't accuse anyone.

The evidence people point to is the names of judges and technical people. Names like Kulik and baranova. A big part of the official complaint is the "makeup of the panel"

The breakup of the Soviet Union is more recent than breakup of British empire. When people point to Russian judges for Estonia that's what they mean and you don't have a British judge for china.

Look at the Beverly smith article where she mentions both sd and fd panels at worlds having russian judges.

It's increasingly apparent something's going to happen where russian judges are banned and that may include federations hey are thought to control like estonias and ukraines.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I agree to not taking away Adelina's gold. That would tear her apart and we don't want that. She's been through a lot already. Tho I don't like her attitude to be honest.

Why not to Yuna? She's the only one in that competition who didn't receive negative GOEs or made any mistake (tight landing is not a mistake but rather a downgrade on quality IMO). If that doesn't indicate technical superiority, I don't know what does. Carolina's jumps were telegraphed and some of her jumps were wobbly or off-axis in mid-air position. She was robbed of SILVER not gold. Adelina is the deserving bronze medalist.

Adelina did nothing wrong. I agree that taking away her gold is not a solution. She had nothing to do with that final result asides from the fact that she happens to be Russian.

Honestly I think we're looking at a possible investigation, but in the end this will simply sit and be debated forever. Like how fans with long memories are still debating ladies OGM for 1998 and 2002.

Nadya

On the Ice
I mean the entire skating world it seems like! The almost unanimous thinking that the result is illegimate. That's going to factor in to the investigations that South Korea wants to happen.

The evidence people point to is the names of judges and technical people. Names like Kulik and baranova. A big part of the official complaint is the "makeup of the panel"

The breakup of the Soviet Union is more recent than breakup of British empire. When people point to Russian judges for Estonia that's what they mean and you don't have a British judge for china.

Look at the Beverly smith article where she mentions both sd and fd panels at worlds having russian judges.

It's increasingly apparent something's going to happen where russian judges are banned and that may include federations hey are thought to control like estonias and ukraines.
What is your theory on why the blessedly Soviet-free judging panel for the short program scored Sotnikova so high?

Nadya

On the Ice
Christine Brennan as always just called things like they are. I am not surprised the Sotbots are not happy to be reminded of the truth, but oh well. Brennan knows more about figure skating than any of us put together, and has done more for the sport of figure skating than any of us put together. She certainly knows more than the incompetent panel of losers who judges the womens figure skating event in Sochi too. So mock her if you wish, she is laughing all the way to the bank, and she makes honest millions and is a rich lady just for doing her job in covering so many sports and avenues in womens life in general.
She's not rich, actually, or I should say she doesn't look rich. I saw her at a book-signing event, and she's overweight and poorly dressed.

I don't know where you live, but in the U.S., her publication, USA Today, is the realm of the low-brow, produced for the benefit of people with third-grade reading comprehension levels.

No one calls things "as they are." We all see what we believe.

Nadya

On the Ice
Do you find it curiously ironic that for all the talk about the investigation, no complaints have actually been lodged, nor any investigation officially demanded?

^ I don't know. It doesn't cost anything to be charitable. I don't know how rich Ms. Brennan is, but she scrubs up fine.

https://diederich.marquette.edu/COC/brennan.aspx

About her figure skating books, the second one, The Edge of Glory, was an enjoyable read. It was intended to chronical Michelle Kwan's journey to the Olympic gold medal in 1998. I don't think Ms. Brennan ever forgave Tara Lipinski for messing up the ending of her book.

Last edited: