South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging | Page 5 | Golden Skate

South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging

Symmetry

Rinkside
So now Sotbot is acceptable, but not Yuna fan?

I am not a "sotbot". But I have long thought that Yuna has been overscored - for years. And it irks me that there has been so much abuse and hatred directed at a young girl who isn't even an adult yet! - all in the name of Yuna being "robbed". Yuna herself is happy, cheerful, classy. Her fans/supporters/fed could take a lesson from her.

But worse, I see this as another Salt Lake City - "Let's throw a giant epic temper tantrum until we force them to give us a gold medal!"

It's fine you think Yuna was always overscored. It is another you don't support the call for transparency in selecting the judges because of your wrong impression of taking the gold from Adelina. Adelina is an Olympic champion. Nothing will change that.

jaylee

Medalist
This is foolishness. No medals will be stripped regardless of the outcome. That is the sotbots' biggest fear. Maybe if we hold their hands long enough maybe they won't worry so much. :laugh:

I think some folks are scaremongering with the idea of medals being stripped, since others are so sensitive to "scandal". Anyway, that's not going to happen. The competition will not be rescored.

I doubt the ISU will ever admit wrongdoing, but I hope the complaint would result in some changes:

- Remove anonymous judging in a move towards transparency and accountability.
- Judges caught cheating need to be banned for life.
- Technical panels and judges need to be held accountable for their scores AFTER the competition in a public way. Maybe it's in a post-event press conference where a judge or tech panel representative is on hand to explain protocols. Maybe they release comments in a press release. If the scores are defensible, they should have no problem defending them.
- ISU should admit when missed calls are made in high-profile events. The NFL admitted blown calls in the Seahawks/Steelers Superbowl some years ago--if the NFL (which isn't even an international sporting authority with a true "world championship") can do it, why can't the ISU? Just pretending it didn't happen does the sport no good and further erodes confidence in the judges and scoring.
- The ISU and its broadcast partners need to do a better job of explaining the scoring system to the public, and need to change the way scores are displayed when announced. (Here's one suggestion: Zayak violations/voided elements should be announced, just like deductions for falls and time violations. Zayak violations cause a huge loss of points and a huge amount of confusion in the arena.)

Quite frankly, I think the ISU needs to take a long, hard look at GOE and PCS and either train the judges better or revise the rules. Judges just don't vary PCS to the degree they should. If someone has a great performance, then PCS rises across the board even if they're weak in a particular area. PCS are not ordinals, but judges seem to want to try and use them as such sometimes. As for GOE, the judges have gone bonkers this quad, and while it's risen across the board, it is not following the GOE guidelines as it should. so that needs to be addressed.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If the stripped medals are not possible (which I do not know, but I think the Korean fed is hoping for a strip), then it would be clear that their next goal would be to get a second gold awarded, like Sale/Pelletier in SLC.

jaylee

Medalist
Apparently yuna has not moved on.
[...edit...]
YuNa really did not imho. But she has been a great competitor and has been so consistent. And her upper body is truly beautiful. I think she has been treated very well by the judges, the establishment and I am kind of surprised she is letting this go forward. She has so much to go on to. I think the silver was fair and I'm more of a Yuna fan than Adelina by far at this point.

Yuna has moved on, as she repeatedly said she was not upset by the decision at the Olympics and AFTER the Olympics and insisted that any emotions she had the night of the FS were because she was glad it was over. She has refused to personally question the results as she is not in the position to judge.

But she does not have any choice about the KSU/KOC filing a "letter of complaint". It's not up to her, nor should it be, because wouldn't that be self-serving? She's in a rock and a hard place; she's not in any position to stop the KSU/KOC protest, but she's not in a position to cheerlead them on either. So leave her out of it.

Symmetry

Rinkside
If the stripped medals are not possible (which I do not know, but I think the Korean fed is hoping for a strip), then it would be clear that their next goal would be to get a second gold awarded, like Sale/Pelletier in SLC.

When are you going to realize? No, there will be no 2nd gold medal; there is no basis for that unless you rescore the entire competition (which is impossible nor desirable).. Come on. Stop being obsessed with the gold medal and looking for a bigger picture.

I don't think the Korean organizations are expecting or hoping for anything. I think they just want to be on record as supporting their athlete.

gmyers

Record Breaker
So now Sotbot is acceptable, but not Yuna fan?

I am not a "sotbot". But I have long thought that Yuna has been overscored - for years. And it irks me that there has been so much abuse and hatred directed at a young girl who isn't even an adult yet! - all in the name of Yuna being "robbed". Yuna herself is happy, cheerful, classy. Her fans/supporters/fed could take a lesson from her.
But worse, I see this as another Salt Lake City - "Let's throw a giant epic temper tantrum until we force them to give us a gold medal!"

It is all about getting Yuna gold. You don't protest results not to do medal changes/revocations. You loudly introduce amendments to the rules if you want to change the rules. The effort to revoke the gold is very much in full swing.

Symmetry

Rinkside
It is all about getting Yuna gold. You don't protest results not to do medal changes/revocations. You loudly introduce amendments to the rules if you want to change the rules. The effort to revoke the gold is very much in full swing.

No. People often stand up for what they believe is right for the future. Many times it is nothing to do with getting any rewards b/c it is too late for them anyway. You may become an activist to prevent campus violence after your child dies after on-campus shooting, for an example.

jaylee

Medalist

I have no idea why you keep speculating about what the KSU wants and what their next goal is.

The KSU is cowardly and incompetent and is only doing this complaint due to public pressure. The composition of the judging panel is a legitimate area for complaint, but given their procrastination in doing so, I don't see how they're hoping for a strip.

There is nothing the Korean Skating Federation can do to overturn the results. You are in panic mode for nothing. ;)

capcomeback

On the Ice

Nope. Without Yuna Korea is trying to protect their figure skating legacy for the future. The feeling is that the judges are potentially pro-Europe these days and they are hoping that the ISU makes it harder to allow such biases creep into these panels. Getting rid of anonymous judging and taking away conflicts of interest will go a long way of cleaning up the process.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Nope. Without Yuna Korea is trying to protect their figure skating legacy for the future. The feeling is that the judges are potentially pro-Europe these days and they are hoping that the ISU makes it harder to allow such biases creep into these panels. Getting rid of anonymous judging and taking away conflicts of interest will go a long way of cleaning up the process.

The judges are pro-European...which is why Yuzuru Hanyu broke the hundred for his SP? Which is why Patrick Chan got such a high score and the silver?

brownian

Match Penalty
The South Korean skating federation obviously doesn't think Adelina will be stripped of her gold medal or that Yuna will magically get a gold medal. I think what they are trying to do is force light to be shed on an extremely suspect judging panel and, as a result, force the ISU to admit that the corruption that was on display in Sochi (and probably in many international competitions) is not acceptable and changes will be made regarding who is allowed to judge, how judging is done, who gets to remain anonymous and who doesn't, etc. Hopefully the forced investigation will result in some constructive changes for the sport. As it stands now, I think a lot of the viewing audience just sort of expects the judging to be suspect and knows that sometimes the best skaters don't win simply because they don't have the backing of the "right people." And I think we all know that is unacceptable.

capcomeback

On the Ice
The judges are pro-European...which is why Yuzuru Hanyu broke the hundred for his SP? Which is why Patrick Chan got such a high score and the silver?

Patrick Chan is my favorite European skater. :laugh:

If Plushenko was in a wheel chair he would have won. :laugh:

gmyers

Record Breaker
This is an effort to try to take sotnikovas gold away and give it to Yuna. I am not saying a total investigation and release of all scores makes that a guarantee just that the issue is that revoking of sotnikovas gold is the number one priority. Because that is the number one priority is might happen.

capcomeback

On the Ice
This is an effort to try to take sotnikovas gold away and give it to Yuna. I am not saying a total investigation and release of all scores makes that a guarantee just that the issue is that revoking of sotnikovas gold is the number one priority. Because that is the number one priority is might happen.

No, but it is your biggest fear. I repeat, for the millionth time in a row (OK, I'm exaggerating...). It won't get stripped!

usethis2

Medalist
The South Korean skating federation obviously doesn't think Adelina will be stripped of her gold medal or that Yuna will magically get a gold medal. I think what they are trying to do is force light to be shed on an extremely suspect judging panel and, as a result, force the ISU to admit that the corruption that was on display in Sochi (and probably in many international competitions) is not acceptable and changes will be made regarding who is allowed to judge, how judging is done, who gets to remain anonymous and who doesn't, etc. Hopefully the forced investigation will result in some constructive changes for the sport. As it stands now, I think a lot of the viewing audience just sort of expects the judging to be suspect and knows that sometimes the best skaters don't win simply because they don't have the backing of the "right people." And I think we all know that is unacceptable.
That is exactly what I want. Result-fixing and corruption notwithstanding, Adelina skated fantastically and she had her moment in the Olympics. She can keep her gold medal and I don't think Yuna minds that. (Though Carolina might have a second thought. :biggrin: ) I want more transparency and fairness. TV casters cannot say anything about wrong edges despite the clear evidence they see, in fear of potentially different calls made by the panel. Viewers of course are left in the dark. I am sick of all these.