South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging | Page 62 | Golden Skate

South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging

izradria

Rinkside
Look at Yuna's face after Sochi free skate. Very disappointed. Now look at Adelina's. See? We don't even need scores to tell us who won.
Using facial expressions at the end of a skate to determine who won...what sound logic.

Vanshilar

On the Ice
Look at Yuna's face after Sochi free skate. Very disappointed. Now look at Adelina's. See? We don't even need scores to tell us who won.

Mao started sobbing even while holding her ending pose at the end of her long program. She obviously knew she did horribly.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
He should hold the image of the sport with high enough regard that he wouldn't sit with the President of a hosting nation.

And again, because obviously you are incapable of understanding: THIS HAPPENS IN EVERY SPORT.

sk8in

Match Penalty
Uh no, that is just vacuous conjecture you made up. Putting it in capital letters doesn't make it mean anything. Again, the head of the ISU sitting next to a person with political investment in the outcome of the competition makes the competition look bad. Putin has every right to attend, and in a way the idea of political figures bringing attention to the sport is a good thing. But sitting next to Ottavio is disastrous. It is as straightforward as 2+2=4.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Uh no, that is just vacuous conjecture you made up. Putting it in capital letters doesn't make it mean anything. Again, the head of the ISU sitting next to a person with political investment in the outcome of the competition makes the competition look bad. Putin has every right to attend, and in a way the idea of political figures bringing attention to the sport is a good thing. But sitting next to Ottavio is disastrous. It is as straightforward as 2+2=4.

It is not vacuous conjecture, it is the truth, however much you want it not to be. The head of many sports sit with various political people at many sporting events, simply because of the various dignitaries often sit together. I can pretty much guarantee that if the President/Prime Minister/Leaderperson of South Korea attends any figure skating events in 2018, he/she will very likely be seated next to whoever the president of the ISU is at that time.

Alba

Record Breaker

All heads of state attending a sporting event sits next to the officials of that sport, like next to Blatter or Platini in football for example.
Not only heads od state but presidents or owners of their club, when it comes to Champions league or Europa league. It's quite normal.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
All heads of state attending a sporting event sits next to the officials of that sport, like next to Blatter or Platini in football for example.
Not only heads od state but presidents or owners of their club, when it comes to Champions league or Europa league. It's quite normal.

True, and this is also normal for sports officials to receive criticism for making friends with politicians who have discredited themselves in one or another way.
[Which causes several pages long discussion: has Putin discredited himself or not? :biggrin:]

sk8in

Match Penalty
Football is not the same thing because it is not an individual sport. There will always be two teams each representing one nation in a World Cup game, not one competitor for each nation. Again, this is the Olympics, this is figure skating, and this is Putin. It is not the same as every other sport.

Vanshilar

On the Ice
Um...shouldn't it be easy to just find an image of Cinquanta sitting next to some other head of state at some other Olympics?

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Check the bottom of Mr. Cinquanta's waste basket. ;)

Silly me. I thought these things were supposed to be a matter of public record.

My own waste basket(s) runneth over -- if Speedy's looks anything like mine, we're all in big trouble. :slink:

^ I deleted my comment because I didn't want to seem like I was dismissing your question. :) I, too, would be curious to know exactly what the final version of the protest said, whether Mr. Cinquanta pays any attention to it or not.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
^ I deleted my comment because I didn't want to seem like I was dismissing your question. :) I, too, would be curious to know exactly what the final version of the protest said, whether Mr. Cinquanta pays any attention to it or not.

Shoot, that's incredibly nice of you but I didn't feel in the least bit dismissed! Seems to me you were just being realistic.

Alba

Record Breaker
True, and this is also normal for sports officials to receive criticism for making friends with politicians who have discredited themselves in one or another way.
[Which causes several pages long discussion: has Putin discredited himself or not? :biggrin:]

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand this right. The question is because it's Putin or any official sitting next to the Head of state?

Football is not the same thing because it is not an individual sport. There will always be two teams each representing one nation in a World Cup game, not one competitor for each nation. Again, this is the Olympics, this is figure skating, and this is Putin. It is not the same as every other sport.

If the question is a head of state sitting next to the officials, I fail to see the difference between an individual or team sport.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
If the question is a head of state sitting next to the officials, I fail to see the difference between an individual or team sport.

:yes: Same here. Aside from that, a head of state sitting next to officials, especially at an international event like the Olys, shouldn't raise issues in and of itself. It would be different if someone produced credible/documented evidence of other wrongdoing but without that, the seating is just ordinary political window-dressing.

Whether or not Putin has discredited himself is a matter of opinion -- and I'm not going anywhere near that one! :biggrin:

sk8in

Match Penalty
In an individual sport every nation has a theoretical chance of winning. In a team sport only one of two nations may win. How difficult is that to understand? If a hockey game is in Canada and the teams are French and German there is no inherent conflict of interest in the Canadian Prime Minister sitting next to the referee or the head of hockey---where as there would be if it were figure skating and Joannie Rochette was suddenly getting world record scores.