South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging | Page 65 | Golden Skate

South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging

MizukiS

Rinkside
As I've seen from a few forums, hate goes both ways. Rabid fans are not exclusive to Yuna. Time and again, top/popular skaters produce this kind of fandom. I can actually see some forming right now ;)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As I've seen from a few forums, hate goes both ways. Rabid fans are not exclusive to Yuna. Time and again, top/popular skaters produce this kind of fandom. I can actually see some forming right now ;)

Lol. Chanting "Name names!!" Name names!!" :popcorn: :laugh:

sk8in

Match Penalty
It will be to Adelina's credit if she comes back and does well. It would be great to see her legitimize herself with a great season or two, and something like the quad toe loop. But that said, I would be amazed if she even survives to the next Olympics.

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
I'm not really rooting for Adelina to win in 2018 (though I'd love it if she medalled) because it would be a little sad if she became two-time Olympic champion while Michelle Kwan, Irina Slutskaya, and Mao Asada never even won one OGM. :cry:

That being said, I hope she kicks butt over the next quad and reminds people that, whatever the result in Sochi, she did skate extremely well that night. World title + Euro/GP medals + holding off the younger Russians will be some pretty hefty accomplishments.

In our current skating world, skaters like Gracie Gold have the chance to get 3 Olympic medals in 2 cycles (after Pyeongchang) because of the team event. Shuddering at the thought.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
I'd like to congratulate Italy for keeping it classy and not pulling this crap. If anything Kostner should be awarded the gold over Kim, and Sotnikova 3rd. :rolleye:
Carol and Yuna are close at this point, gold could go either way between these two with no scandal follow, I think.

But well, Italy official or fans didn't act like Korea's not because they are classy, it because they simply didn't care enough to do anything. Carol is not the most important figure in Italy, skating is not a big sport either. Based on her inconsitent record and her status right before the Games, they are surely happy with her medal at any color or just even in top 5.

mich2

Match Penalty
^she needs security though..

one of my friends who is working in korea for many years now said that koreans' nationalism is extreme.. they will never forget.. :popcorn: and because pyeongchang will host the next winter olympics they will be reminded the heartbreak in sochi..especially for them yuna is no ordinary athlete.. so watch out from that wrath.. :laugh:
So it wil be worse than Sochi. Thanks for the input.

Ven

Match Penalty
Uh, there's a reason why Sotnikova has never won anything outside of Russia. Lest we all forget that.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Or perhaps more to the point: that there was a Korean judge in 2010 who was also the Vice President of the KSU?

Here is an article from the Korean times praising the selection of Chihee Rhee for not only Vancouver Olympics but to judge Yuna at TEB in which she won. Fairness is sometimes a very subjective term. http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/phone/news/view.jsp?req_newsidx=53829

"It will be the first time that a Korean will serve as judge for the Winter Olympics," Rhee told Yonhap News agency in Paris where she served as judge for the Trophee Bompard.

Rhee passed the International Skating Union's qualifying test to become an international umpire in September 2001, becoming the first Korean to obtain the license.

The selection of Rhee has been backed by world champion Kim Yu-na who captured the Trophee Bompard championship, Saturday, winning the free skate with a flawless performance to outrival Japanese skater Mao Asada.

Rhee said judges' subjective views cannot be completely ruled out when scoring skaters, no matter how scientific the new scoring system in figure skating has become.
My point isn't that Kim should not have won but the fact that Yuna herself praised the idea of a Korean Vice President being allowed to judge her which seems to be at the core of this debate four years later. :confused2:

nguyenghita

On the Ice
Here is an article from the Korean times praising the selection of Chihee Rhee for not only Vancouver Olympics but to judge Yuna at TEB in which she won. Fairness is sometimes a very subjective term. http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/phone/news/view.jsp?req_newsidx=53829

My point isn't that Kim should not have won but the fact that Yuna herself praised the idea of a Korean Vice President being allowed to judge her which seems to be at the core of this debate four years later. :confused2:
And in case you didn't know, that vice president of KSU is one of the Yuna's anti in Korea, she is just hate Yuna very much and talked bad about her countless times on media. She even said that Yuna didn't deserved some of her major wins. LOL. This is the fact not many people outside Korea know, I myself didn't know that until Korean fan told me months ago. Based on Korean fans, number of Koreans don't like Yuna at all, especially the high-rank official in skating, simply because they could not control/use her as the way (make money) they want. Through her successful all by herself, public criticzed them for not did any effort to support athletes/the sport. She is beyond their control, so they hate her, and public hate them.

cooper

Medalist

because some keep insisting with the lone korean could make a difference..:rolleye: assuming there was conflict of interest from both alla and rhee.. no one can still beat how alla and lakernik being part of the tech panel.. and that balkov the known cheater was still judging at the most important event.. the ladies free skate.. and that baranova was sooo happy backstage and waiting for adelina... i guess it doesn't matter.. because after all the lone korean judge could also make a difference like what happened in sochi.. oh wait..

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And the Japanese judge hugged Yuzuru. I guess that means the men's was fixed, right?

Meoima

Match Penalty
maybe.. the men's event was a disaster.. assuming the contenders were clean i'm sure it will be debated too.. :p
This is totally biased. It's okay if you personally think Yuna deserved the gold, but don't drag the men event into this. It's unfair for all the Japanese skaters in Sochi.
If the judging was in favor if Japanese skaters, I am sure they would have put Mao on the podium with a bronze. Japanese fans love Mao more than Yuzuru, that is a certain. At least more than a half co panies sponsor for JFS are because they want to sponsor Mao. Oh, and they should have put Kanako and Akiko a little but higher.
If they rigged the men event, they could have put Machida over Denis Ten for the bronze. And not to mention the team event which was a disaster for Japan team. If ISU fixed the score for Japan, I am sure they would have gotten the bronze for the team.
Seriously, so the scores were rigged because you see a Japanese hugged Yuzuru? Look at the medal table and tell the world so.

cooper

Medalist
This is totally biased. It's okay if you personally think Yuna deserved the gold, but don't drag the men event into this. It's unfair for all the Japanese skaters in Sochi.
If the judging was in favor if Japanese skaters, I am sure they would have put Mao on the podium with a bronze. Japanese fans love Mao more than Yuzuru, that is a certain. At least more than a half if sponsors for JFS are because they want to sponsor Mao. Oh, and they should have put Kanako and Akiko a little but higher.
If they rigged the men event, they could have put Machida over Denis Ten for the bronze. And not to mention the team event which was a disaster for Japan team. If ISU fixed the score for Japan, I am sure they would have gotten the bronze for the team.
Seriously, so the scores were rigged because you see a Japanese hugged Yuzuru? Look at the medal table and tell the world so.

wait.. what.. i dragged the men's event? where? i didn't even mentioned anyone until someone brought yuzuru's name in here..i didn't bring his name here.. maybe you should look at another poster.. :rolleye: you're putting words in my mouth.. i'm only assuming that's why i said "maybe".. i'm sure some posters will find a way to have another debate like what happened in last year's worlds..

Meoima

Match Penalty
wait.. what.. i dragged the men's event? where? i didn't even mentioned anyone until someone brought yuzuru's name in here..i didn't bring his name here.. maybe you should look at another poster.. :rolleye: you're putting words in my mouth.. i'm only assuming that's why i said "maybe".. i'm sure some posters will find a way to have another debate like what happened in last year's worlds..
I was sure that "maybe" means you think the scores were rigged for Japnese skaters which was not true at all. If the scores were rigged, Mao could have gotten the bronze. Numerous recent surveys in Japan have showed that they love Mao much much more than Yuzuru.
Personally I think the scores at Sochi were not in favour of any Asian teams.

cooper

Medalist
I was sure that "maybe" means you think the scores were rigged for Japnese skaters which was not true at all. If the scores were rigged, Mao could have gotten the bronze. Numerous recent surveys in Japan have showed that they love Mao much much more than Yuzuru.
Personally I think the scores at Sochi were not in favour of any Asian teams.

geezz..

maybe - a mere possibility.. probability.. uncertainty.. something is possible..

because it didn't happen.. because the men's event was a disaster.. we don't know what will be the reaction IF the top contenders skated clean.. in short WHO KNOWS..that's why i said "maybe".. :rolleye:

Meoima

Match Penalty
geezz..
maybe - a mere possibility.. probability.. uncertainty.. something is possible..
because it didn't happen.. because the men's event was a disaster.. we don't know what will be the reaction IF the top contenders skated clean.. in short WHO KNOWS..that's why i said "maybe".. :rolleye:
I get it. Thank you for your explanation.
Personally I think if Plushy competed, he would have gotten the gold. :rolleye: if you know what I mean. But considering the men event, I am sure no one would eve utter a complaint if Plushy were the gold medalist. Because Plushy would mostly stay on his feet.

Uh, there's a reason why Sotnikova has never won anything outside of Russia. Lest we all forget that.

Adelina has won two senior international events in her career: the Golden Spin of Zagreb (Croatia) in 2011 and the 2014 Olympics.

Sarah Hughes won three: 1999 Vienna Cup, 2001 Skate Canada, and the 2002 Olympics.

Probably because she never skated as in Sochi before.

Peaking at the right time. :yes:

Adelina versus Yuna was David and Goliath. Sometimes it goes one way, sometimes the other. ;)

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Well, yeah. Because she hasn't skated nearly as well as she had at the Olympics.

Had Sotnikova put together those two Sochi skates (or even her Euros skates) on her GP assignments, she would have won both of them, without Russian inflation.

FYI, Sotnikova won Junior Worlds... In South Korea, no less.