South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging | Page 70 | Golden Skate

South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging

Ven

Match Penalty
Oh it was l'equipe? Lol don't they have a new "scandal" every month?

They outed Lance Armstrong for years, and all you ever heard was "never failed a drug test" ... turns out the head of the International Cycling Union himself was helping to cover Lance's tracks!

Ven

Match Penalty
Well, you keep watching and posting about figure skating, so I'm assuming it's because you believe the results are determined by what competitors do on the ice?

There are no such things as figure skating "competitions". I enjoy the shows and the skaters, and that's where my $$'s will be spent. The ISU and IOC don't deserve a penny.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The same one that was on the judging panel for the Short Program, where Kim had a technically superior program, was described as "flawless" (not criticized for holding back), but barely managed to outscore Sotnikova?

It was technically superior by ONE point in BV, which Adelina more than made up for in spin GOE, which was well deserved. Plus Yuna skated early, which you can believe would never have an effect on scores unless there was cheating but anyone who has watched even a few competitions knows that skate order matters.

Alba

Record Breaker
There are no such things as figure skating "competitions". I enjoy the shows and the skaters, and that's where my $$'s will be spent. The ISU and IOC don't deserve a penny.

I suppose you will stop watching FS.

They outed Lance Armstrong for years...

That is the kind of persistence that is missing in the figure skating case. L'equipe has a particular interest in the integrity of cycling -- they invented the Tour de France (1903) as a publicity vehicle for the newspaper.

Ven

Match Penalty
It was technically superior by ONE point in BV.

Kim's FS was technically superior too, seeing as how Sotnikova only did 6 triples, but somehow managed to get credit for 7. I wonder how that could possibly happen?

I suppose you will stop watching FS.

I will continue to watch shows, but like many other people I am put off by the whole thing of competitions now. They are not really competitions. It was bad enough 12 years ago, but it's even worse this time. Now it's not just some rogue conspirators, but clearly the ISU itself has been willfully aiding and abetting the cheating, and has been doing so for a very long time.

That is the kind of persistence that is missing in the figure skating case. L'equipe has a particular interest in the integrity of cycling -- they invented the Tour de France (1903) as a publicity vehicle for the newspaper.

I suspect one day we will get the entire story, perhaps through investigative sports journalism, or through some other means. The truth always comes out in the end.

Btw, I completely believe Yuna was robbed

(Meryl and Davis still deserved to win and they did it fairly, booyah)

I'm not even arguing about the placements. I prefer Virtue and Moir, to be honest, but I don't consider myself knowledgeable enough in Dance to tell the two teams apart, other than personal preference. But I do know enough to know that whatever advantage exists for either team at any moment in time is relatively small, but the scoring in Sochi said otherwise. The scoring indicated an extreme outlier difference between the two teams both clean, which I find unexplainable other than through conspiracy.

Alba

Record Breaker

I do suspect though that their persistence in this case came also from the fact that Larmstrong was a NA. ;)

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I do suspect though that their persistence in this case came also from the fact that Larmstrong was a NA. ;)

The fact remains that in Armstrong's case they were correct. Speaking as an American who admired him for years, the story embarrasses/infuriates/saddens me no end. :cry: OTOH, doping seems to be the norm in cycling, so if L'Equipe is so committed to the integrity of the sport, I wonder (with all due respect to Mathman!) whether they've pursued other cyclists with the same intensity.

As for figure skating, I'm just as outraged at the ISU's unwillingness to address the judging question. If everything was fair and square they should want to prove it beyond a doubt. If it wasn't, they should want to correct the system. Their silence/apathy is incomprehensible to me.

DarR

Rinkside
It was technically superior by ONE point in BV, which Adelina more than made up for in spin GOE, which was well deserved. Plus Yuna skated early, which you can believe would never have an effect on scores unless there was cheating but anyone who has watched even a few competitions knows that skate order matters.

Wait, Adelina scored a whole point more than Yuna for her spins in the SP?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The fact remains that in Armstrong's case they were correct. Speaking as an American who admired him for years, the story embarrasses/infuriates/saddens me no end. :cry: OTOH, doping seems to be the norm in cycling, so if L'Equipe is so committed to the integrity of the sport, I wonder (with all due respect to Mathman!) whether they've pursued other cyclists with the same intensity.

As for figure skating, I'm just as outraged at the ISU's unwillingness to address the judging question. If everything was fair and square they should want to prove it beyond a doubt. If it wasn't, they should want to correct the system. Their silence/apathy is incomprehensible to me.

This! This! This!

The ISU not making a statement either defending the outcome(s) or at least addressing the concerns. This is the problem for me. It definitely shows how little value the ISU holds for its most important asset...it's fans. Come on guys...give me something...even something to disagree with would do :yes:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
This thread is so long that I can't remember whether anyone has mentioned any similar issues in speed skating, recognizing of course that it's a timed sport as opposed to judged. Have there been any? If so, what was the ISU's response? It would be interesting to know if there were any equivalent speedskating controversies and whether the ISU addressed them more diligently than the Sochi FS judging -- an indication of the value (or lack thereof) that the ISU places on figure skating.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The ISU not making a statement either defending the outcome(s) or at least addressing the concerns. This is the problem for me. It definitely shows how little value the ISU holds for its most important asset...it's fans. Come on guys...give me something...even something to disagree with would do :yes:

It's because most fans know there was no controversy. Only a select few who ignore that Yuna had a < in the SP that wasn't called, another uncalled < and a shaky landing in the LP that inexplicably got +3 from a judge, are mad.

Ven

Match Penalty
Most fans have left the skating world by now.

Fixed your post for you. You should probably change your custom title to "fiddling while Rome burns".

Because of those who remain, there are many people still angry about Sochi and want change including but not limited to the removal and ban of Cinquanta and the end of anonymous judging.

Cinquanta's (illegally extended) term will be up in 2016. Anonymous judging is on the agenda for the ISU Congress this year. (Three different proposals, sponsored respectively by Russia, USA, and Greece. I hope they combine the USA and Greek proposals --they seem tp be identical -- and drop the Russian one before the voting starts.)