South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging | Page 81 | Golden Skate

South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging

Ven

Match Penalty
Not surprised by the dismissal. I hope they go to the CAS. I could see it working out in South Korea's favor.

If something like that happens, the effort needs to be serious. Anyone who reads KSU's complaint can see they were not seriously trying to protest the ISU, just a sham for public appearance.

LyraAngelica

On the Ice
If something like that happens, the effort needs to be serious. Anyone who reads KSU's complaint can see they were not seriously trying to protest the ISU, just a sham for public appearance.

I agree with you. The complaint was too weak to stand.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Also, whether or not Yuna Kim has moved on should not impact any calls for investigation. The controversy is much bigger than whether Kim deserves an OGM; it relates to the legitimacy of the ISU's judging panels and scoring system.

Excellent point.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm glad the ISU dismissed this. Not only was it the epitome of poor sportsmanship but it was also hypocritical and self-serving. They didn't care about conflicts of interest when the vice-president of the KSU sat on the Vancouver panel. If Yuna wanted the gold so bad, maybe she should have worked on her tech mark.

And I imagine that if the complaint did include "OMG the replay operator was Russian therefore there MUST have been cheating!" then what probably happened was the ISU fell off their collective chairs laughing and the paper with the complaint on it was lost under the table.

cooper

Medalist
The one thing that disappoints me in all this, as an Adelina fan, is that the ISU won't identify the judges and their marks. It would give everyone closure one way or the other.

why would they?? if ISU has balls they would have done that but they're scared.. it will open a can of worms.. and it will create more stingy discussion why ISU is corrupt..

there's no such thing as transparency and accountability in ISU.. never been..

Amei

Record Breaker
You hit it on the head. Faced with sheer embarrassment stemming from confirmation straight from the horse's mouth that a judge helped rig it, the ISU had to do something in 2002. In this case, I don't see anyone stepping forward making any similar such confessions (rigged or not, we can only speculate at this point), even as we debate the results.

On the SLC scandal - according to Wikipedia, the judge that said she 'rigged' it retracted her statement and said that she was pressured to say the Canadians were better.

Ven

Match Penalty
Was the text of the complaint ever made available to the public?

http://static.isu.org/media/149883/...a-final-decision-for-publication-30052014.pdf

I only read about half of it and stopped. First, one would assume the KOC lawyers would know who to submit complaints to, so when ISU responds that it's not their jurisdiction, but for CAS, it seems like KSU is not taking any of this serious. It gets worse when the complaints focus on judges hugging competitors. I realize that was sensational for the sake of quick articles in the wake of Sochi, but does not address the real issues and obvious evidence towards corruption and a fixed result.

begin

Medalist
This just...doesn't solve anything. Given that reputation scoring continues, this legacy is just going to drag on for Adelina. It's not her fault, but I find it difficult not to be resentful (though not for Yuna's sake as there are zero reasons to be bitter for her).

As for the KSU's complaint--yeah, all they did was smoke out more on how the ISU is terrible with conflicts of interest/PR, but I don't even know if I can call them incompetent for only doing so much. What else could they do? Is there a way to audit the judge's decisions? I don't see how they could have picked at the protocols in any real capacity and put it in paper.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This complaint was crap. They never mentioned a single questionable call. They only addressed the hug. Unbelievable. There could be a better argument made by cut copy and pasting a thread or two here. I may not be outraged by the results but this is a slap in the face of those who believe passionately that there was a clear unethical panlel in action.

“Complainants are solely requesting the DC to determine whether or not embracing of SOTNIKOVA by SHEKHOVTSEVA constitutes a violation of the ISU Rules and if so, impose available sanctions against SHEKHOVTSEVA. Complainants are neither raising an objection against the judgment given at the Competition nor regarding any cases for a protest as provided under Rule 123 of the ISU Constitution and General Regulations 2012.”

Very easily dismissible. This is unfair for Yuna supporters. :scowl:

Ven

Match Penalty
This is unfair for Yuna supporters. :scowl:

As others have said, this isn't about Yuna. Carolina got screwed too, and it's about fair competitions overall. Any of you are really going to watch the next grand prix event, or worlds or olympics, when at worst the ISU is rigging the competitions, and at best they don't even care to prove to you otherwise?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Too me its simple. Point out some of the questionable scores. Point to the fact that they weren't present in the SP. Connect that Alla was added to the FS. Reiterate the scoring irregularities in the FS. Seal it off with the hug. This would make a way more convincing case. The hug is the weakest part of this debate. The only transparency is the KSU has no interest in this matter and just let the ISU off the hook very easily.

Ven

Match Penalty
Well it seems this was a show trial and KSU did not have any interest to make a real complaint. Probably behind closed doors they bargained with the ISU that they had to do something because of the Korean outrage and the international press and petitions, but it seems like that was just to placate people while secretly staying obedient to the ISU.

Edit: I wonder if the Korean people will start to view the KSU as traitors now this faux complaint came out? :slink:

The legal problem that the protesters faced may have been the ISU/IOC rules about what may and what may not be protested. Things like Adelina's GOEs were too generous, her PCSs were a lot higher than the month before, the tech panel did not count the number of counters and rockers in her step sequence properly -- I don't think there is a mechanism for review and remediation for that.

But questions of conflict of interest can be raised after the fact. So maybe that's why the KSU felt that they had only the weak straw of a hug to support their anguish.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But they never even tried to bring up the scores. The worst that would have happened is the ISU would have said..."sorry, you can't protest that aspect based on rule blah blah blah." It would have forced the ISU to address it and expose any flaws in the system. This is actually a disservice in many ways to people interested in reforming the scoring and/or fairness involved. The KSU is one step short of actually endorsing the result. It's likely going to make things worse in the long run.

sajoya

On the Ice
Well it seems this was a show trial and KSU did not have any interest to make a real complaint. Probably behind closed doors they bargained with the ISU that they had to do something because of the Korean outrage and the international press and petitions, but it seems like that was just to placate people while secretly staying obedient to the ISU.

Edit: I wonder if the Korean people will start to view the KSU as traitors now this faux complaint came out? :slink:

I would say most Koreans already have after the Viktor Ahn controversy.

But they never even tried to bring up the scores. The worst that would have happened is the ISU would have said..."sorry, you can't protest that aspect based on rule blah blah blah." It would have forced the ISU to address it and expose any flaws in the system. This is actually a disservice in many ways to people interested in reforming the scoring and/or fairness involved. The KSU is one step short of actually endorsing the result. It's likely going to make things worse in the long run.

The protesters are in a pickle. Basically, their position is: "Dear Mr. Cinquanta, You and all your friends are crooks. If you agree with this charge, please put yourselves in jail. Thank you."

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The protesters are in a pickle. Basically, their position is: "Dear Mr. Cinquanta, You and all your friends are crooks. If you agree with this charge, please put yourselves in jail. Thank you."

Well that would be something.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I'm glad the ISU dismissed this. Not only was it the epitome of poor sportsmanship but it was also hypocritical and self-serving. They didn't care about conflicts of interest when the vice-president of the KSU sat on the Vancouver panel. If Yuna wanted the gold so bad, maybe she should have worked on her tech mark.

And I imagine that if the complaint did include "OMG the replay operator was Russian therefore there MUST have been cheating!" then what probably happened was the ISU fell off their collective chairs laughing and the paper with the complaint on it was lost under the table.

Why is questioning one's marks considered poor sportsmanship? I've observed the sentiment on these boards and elsewhere that if any skater were to complain about the judging and the marks, he/she would be exhibiting bad sportsmanship (ex: Ashley Wagner). Being a good sportsman does not mean you just roll over and accept whatever scores you're given. If any skater thinks that they were robbed, and can submit a well-reasoned case for being robbed, then they should go ahead and do so.

If I practiced my butt off for 4 years and got less than the score I thought I deserved, you bet yourself I'd be raising a stink about it.