Let's all take a moment to be thankful that... | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Let's all take a moment to be thankful that...

vinganca

Rinkside
Even if she deserves it ?. Why watch figure skating if you don't like Russians ?. I hope they all skate great, if Julia wins then good for her.
Why be so anti-Russian ?.
That's like saying "I hope W/P don't win the ice dance event as we have had nothing but North-American wins for five years".
Grow up.

people are saying 'ugh not again' to the idea of Julia winning because she doesn't 'deserve it'. technically her programs are nowhere near the top ladies even if she does skate clean. Also look at her scores pre-olympics ans compare them to her overly-inflated olympic scores. yes almost everyone gets a small boost at the olympics but not to that extent!

if the olympic judging had been anywhere near fair, no one would be saying 'ugh not another russian'. people are not anti-russian, they're anti-cheating, and losing patience with the corrupt judging which favored the russians and cheated others at sochi.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Please take dead horses for flogging, broken records etc HERE. (There is nothing you can say about judging, scoring at the Olympics, etc etc that hasn't been said in there 100x already... but you are free to keep repeating them, to your heart's content, ad infinitum... in that thread).

Or if anyone wants to be constructive, and offer suggestions about improving judging etc, try HERE

No need to keep bringing that stuff into other threads...

qwertyskates

Medalist
I think we'll all be thankful if Mao or Carolina win a world title. If Julia wins, oh goodness...not another Russian skater. I think that would leave a sour taste in many mouths.

If it were another Japanese/Canadian/American/European skater who won World's after her compatriot bagged the OGM, I doubt any of you would remark it would leave a sour taste in many mouths. This is getting ridiculous, as if a Russian winning anything is now automatically deemed a corrupt judgment!:disapp: Every skater/skate should be judged on her/its own merit, regardless of nationality. Never before has a WHOLE nation been made into a pariah by another in figure skating. And don't say it's the fault of Adelina's OGM, it's the fault of those who tried to make a mountain of controversy where there's little, or at least not more than Tara vs Michelle, Plushenko vs Evan.

volk

Final Flight
Nor should they. The judging was bad.

Even if you think Sotnikova deserved the gold (and I'm not saying she didnt) the actual scores were a farce. It's not just haters and Yuna fans that think so. The judges effectively gave her the title before the competition was over and that stinks.

It's funny cause Yuna was the one who was always blamed for getting inflated scores throughout her career. And now her fans are doing the same to another skater.

louisa05

Final Flight
:bang:

Never mind...it is never going to end. The Adelina/YuNa fight is going to surpass the classics like Michelle/Tara and Nancy/Oksana...

desertskates

Medalist
And here's something to look forward to: it is unlikely, but still remains in the realm of possibility for the US to put two ladies on the podium here. :slink:

Krislite

Medalist
I don't think Julia will win. But I think she will be on the podium if she skates well. If not, I think Gracie will take her place. I think (hope?) Mao and Carolina will go 1-2, in either order.

ETA: As to what I'm thankful for, I'm thankful that the Olympics aren't going to be in Russia again--ever, I hope!

At the rate Russia's expanding and conquering new territories, you never know. The next Olympics could be next door and be in Russia at the same time! ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
And here's something to look forward to: it is unlikely, but still remains in the realm of possibility for the US to put two ladies on the podium here. :slink:

that would be an even bigger shocker than Meissner winning in 2006 :jaw:

Of the three US women, Gold is most likely, and a podium finish should be attainable for her if she does her best. But she has yet to do that, so will it click for her at the right time?

Don't see it happening for Wagner (or Edmunds), but I guess it is not absolutely impossible. Crazier things have happened, of course...(like Sotnikova beating Kim :p sorry)

Mena719

Rinkside
I hope everyone skates there best next weekend. Thankful the USA ladies are showing some signs of being completive again.

Last edited:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I'm thankful that the worlds are next week.:popcorn:
I hope Yuzu and Mao will deliver and win gold medals. (+Javi and Gracie silver medals). I'm happy that I have some new favorite skaters, S/K and, without V/T, it will be a great chance for them to win the world title. I don't think I'm going to watch ice dance this year. I really hope I can stay awake the whole week because of the time zone which is going to drive me crazy.:slink:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am thankful that I did not sit up and watch the men's SP at Sochi.

Because if it was bad enough having Plushy and Brendan pummel my heart into a million pieces the next morning, it would have been even worse at 2am.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
people are saying 'ugh not again' to the idea of Julia winning because she doesn't 'deserve it'. technically her programs are nowhere near the top ladies even if she does skate clean. Also look at her scores pre-olympics ans compare them to her overly-inflated olympic scores. yes almost everyone gets a small boost at the olympics but not to that extent!

if the olympic judging had been anywhere near fair, no one would be saying 'ugh not another russian'. people are not anti-russian, they're anti-cheating, and losing patience with the corrupt judging which favored the russians and cheated others at sochi.
I don't agree that Julia was over-scored. She was amazing in the team event under massive pressure. Gracie was over-marked too.
But even if the scores were inflated, how is that Julia's or any other Russian skaters fault ?.
So I stick by my original suggestion...................Grow up.

vinganca

Rinkside
I don't agree that Julia was over-scored. She was amazing in the team event under massive pressure. Gracie was over-marked too.
But even if the scores were inflated, how is that Julia's or any other Russian skaters fault ?.
So I stick by my original suggestion...................Grow up.

please explain how expressing the opinion that the Russian skaters were overscored in Sochi is representative of not being 'grown up'. also, kindly refrain from putting words in my mouth, as i never said that the (in my opinion) corrupt judging is tha fault of the skaters who benefitted from it. other people's opinions and viewpoints are no more or less valid than yours, nor is it immature to express a viewpoint that differs from yours. I am not resorting to insults or rude 'suggestions' in response to your view that the scoring was fair, so the 'grown up' thing to do is extend that same basic courtesy to me and others who do not share your opinions.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel quite grown up and I feel Yulia was over scored(see my avatar). She was the clear winner of the team event but over scored by A few points. She agrees too if you watch her body launguage when the scores are read or dissect her comments. I guess she isn't a great example of a grown up but even Gracie commented about her presence as a 40yr old woman in a 15yr old body:laugh:

Speaking of Gracie...O-ver-ScOrED!!!:eek:

Now calling Yulia a pipe squeak brat or anything mean gets me :mad::mad::mad:

Alba

Record Breaker
people are saying 'ugh not again' to the idea of Julia winning because she doesn't 'deserve it'.

There are also "people saying" "if she wins that will be great".
technically her programs are nowhere near the top ladies even if she does skate clean.

Care to elaborate? Except Mao, technically not only she is near but she tops most of them, like Costner and even Adelina in Euros ofr example.

Also look at her scores pre-olympics ans compare them to her overly-inflated olympic scores. yes almost everyone gets a small boost at the olympics but not to that extent!

Are you referring to the Team Ladies - Free Skating or the individual event?

In any case, if you look to her Euro Champ. scores and compare them with her olympic scores they are not overly-inflated to the extent that you think.

Alba

Record Breaker
At the rate Russia's expanding and conquering new territories, you never know.

I think it will be wise if we can leave certain political issues out of figure skating. Especially, when they're are a bit more complicated and not so black&white.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
please explain how expressing the opinion that the Russian skaters were overscored in Sochi is representative of not being 'grown up'. also, kindly refrain from putting words in my mouth, as i never said that the (in my opinion) corrupt judging is tha fault of the skaters who benefitted from it. other people's opinions and viewpoints are no more or less valid than yours, nor is it immature to express a viewpoint that differs from yours. I am not resorting to insults or rude 'suggestions' in response to your view that the scoring was fair, so the 'grown up' thing to do is extend that same basic courtesy to me and others who do not share your opinions.

So was Julia the only skater over-marked in Sochi ?, or did you think it was just the two Russian girls ?

makaihime

Final Flight
How ironic...that this thread was for those thanking that the worlds is finally going to end all the olympic talk but here we are....still arguing about it. :rolleye: