Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Practice Reports

Custom Title
    Russian media reports that Yulia was mobbed by Japanese fans today so much that it took her an hour to get through the crowds to the practice rink.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Just something I made up.
    Haha :-D

I'm sure you're capable of describing such things without using profanity, or inventing such phrases. You just need to try harder ;-D

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whatif View Post
    Russian media reports that Yulia was mobbed by Japanese fans today so much that it took her an hour to get through the crowds to the practice rink.
    There is a mutual love there. She loves Japan and said she wants to vacation there in June and she has so many fans there!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by whatif View Post
    Haha! This is what I love about Japan!

They are usually generous, welcoming, supportive and respectful to skaters from all countries... if not outright fans! And even though Julia is a serious "threat" to Asada (a national hero!)... she can still be mobbed by fans, and received with such adoration.

Custom Title
    On Day Two of Practice from the 2014 World Figure Skating Championships in Saitama, we caught evening run - throughs for the men, ladies', pairs and dance events.

In dance, Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje of Canada ran through their free dance. This couple looked intense and prepared to take on the competition full speed. Their tango is set to be one the highlights of the championship. This couple radiates sex appeal.

Australia's Danielle O'Brien & Greg Merriman train with the Canadians in Detroit and ran through parts of their free dance as well. They looked confident and relaxed. Their twizzles were in good unison, too.

In pairs, the three Russian teams looked on form.

Vera Bazarova and Yuri Larionov seemed comfortable with their lifts, twists and throws. Vera's solo jumps, though small, were rotating as well.

Ksenia Stolbova & Fedor Klimov, the Olympic silver medalists, ran their practice like a clinic. Both skaters ran through their elements with confidence and focus.

The third team of Julia Antipova and Nodari Maisuradze have huge throws and a huge triple twist. They are a team to watch for the future.

The other group we caught included the 4 - time World Champions, Aliona Savchenko & Robin Szolkowy of Germany. They ran through bits and pieces of their short program, and he didn't attempt any individual triple jumps that we saw.

The final pair we saw of note were Vanessa James and Morgan Cipres of France. Their twists and throws are particularly high and carry a lot of distance.

The ladies from Team Japan were solid for their practice this evening. Mao Asada landed several impressive triple axels before and after her run through. Unfortunately, she singled that attempt when it counted. Otherwise, she landed six triples including a triple flip/triple loop.

Akiko Suzuki and Kanako Murakami looked focussed during practice, too.

In the next group, both of the Russian women stood out as well. Julia Lipnitskaya did not attempt any jumps during her short program run through. However, she was landing the triple lutz / triple toe loop as well as the double axel / triple toe loop multiple times afterwards. Her signature catch foot spin drew appreciative applause as well.

Newcomer Anna Pogorilaya was all business. She ran through her short program, popping the triple loop. However, she did three triple loops in sequence afterwards just to keep the jump in check.

In the final ladies' group we caught Kaetlyn Osmond and Gabi Daleman from Canada along with Australia's Brooklee Han.

Han ran through her free program jump content, landing five solid triples and the double axel. Han's only error was a slight touchdown on the triple lutz.

For the remainder of her practice however, she landed two excellent triple lutz jumps.

Back in the main arena, the only men present for the practice we saw were Max Aaron (USA) and Poland's Mariej Cieplucha.

Aaron was a machine for his free program runthrough, landing a quadruple salchow, a second quad sal (with a step out), a triple axel / double toe loop, a second triple axel, a triple lutz (step out), a triple flip - half loop - triple salchow (step out) and a final triple
    toe loop.

Hopefully he will have cleaned up these small details by tomorrow's short program.

Wednesday is the first official day of competition with the pairs' short program followed by the men's short.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Apparently during Yulia's run thru at practice today as she sat at center ice waiting for Schindler's List the organizers accidentally played You Don't Give up On Love. I can see it now..her somber and haunting look she usually throws over her shoulder was quickly replaced by one of her nastier "sandy beach" looks she usually reserves for reporters asking mundane questions. My source also said immediately after a quick look of confusion she just went ahead and and did her SP perfectly. For the record I'm citing this as evidence when I start my own 'judging conspiracy': pt 2(the setting sun)!!!

The same source also said Mao, their favorite skater, popped two or three 3A but looked good otherwise and landed at least 3 solid 3A. He/she thought Mao looked quite strong and very confident yet gave the impression that if Mao struggles a bit in practice it's usually is a good sign. So it seems all is well. Good luck to Mao and her fans!

Worlds are upon us and I for one am beyond pumped!! Best of luck to all the skaters with extra special luck to one on particular!
    I totally get that withering "sandy beach" stare Julia does look sort of sandy-haired and sandy-complexioned, and that little girl contemplating murder stare is just exactly how she looks when she's cross.

Nonetheless, here's wishing she'll podium, along with Mao getting Gold, Hanyu skating what he didn't at Sochi and getting his 3rd international Gold, a satisfying redemption for all 3.

Thank you aussi-Skate for the heads up,can't wait for Worlds tomorrow, and Weaver & Poje's Tango!

Thanks to aussie_SKATES for your detailed practice report. The skaters seem to be fit and ready
    to go. I think we are going to be in for some surprises. Good luck to all!

Thanks for the practice report especially on Max Aaron! Love the boy!

Thanks from me too for all reports.

Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    Thanks to aussie_SKATES for your detailed practice report. The skaters seem to be fit and ready
    to go. I think we are going to be in for some surprises. Good luck to all!
    Hope so

Banned
    Anna Pogorilaya at 2014 Worlds practice
    her very good body type should be an advanatge for the future like Gracie Gold

more Anna Practice:

http://cs608523.vk.me/v608523034/6085/s0J8GflOOZo.jpg
    http://cs608523.vk.me/v608523070/56ad/1fdB8jj2ndQ.jpg
    http://cs608523.vk.me/v608523113/52eb/IGzsz8f1nO4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Anna Pogorilaya at 2014 Worlds practice
    her very good body type should be an advanatge for the future like Gracie Gold

more Anna Practice:

http://cs608523.vk.me/v608523034/6085/s0J8GflOOZo.jpg
    http://cs608523.vk.me/v608523070/56ad/1fdB8jj2ndQ.jpg
    http://cs608523.vk.me/v608523113/52eb/IGzsz8f1nO4.jpg
    LOL, someone is out of the Julia train. :P

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Elena Radionova has a brighter future for 2018, will be watching her closely from now on

Custom Title
    Yes, thank you aussie_SKATES. I want Mao and Julia to have clean skates as they have planned.

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Blondie obsessive disorder?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YesWay View Post
    Haha! This is what I love about Japan!

They are usually generous, welcoming, supportive and respectful to skaters from all countries... if not outright fans! And even though Julia is a serious "threat" to Asada (a national hero!)... she can still be mobbed by fans, and received with such adoration.
    It's so great to hear that Julia got such an enthusiastic reception from the Japanese fans.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast