Men's Podium Sweep for Japan? | Golden Skate

Men's Podium Sweep for Japan?

fredtx121

On the Ice
Japan has a strong men's field going into these World Championships especially with some top men withdrawing.
I can see the podium being:
1) Yuruzu
2)Machida
3) Kouzka.

Javier Fernandez will likely get one of the medals especially since it will be sketchy to have all 3 Japanese men stand on the podium and the event being held in Japan.
I would like to see Jeremy Abbot on the podium, but again he is very inconsistent in international competitions. I really wished they sent Jason Brown, he def could of been more of a contender then Max Aaron. Han Yan may be an outside chance for a medal as well. Thoughts?

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
mmm I don't think that will happen, I see Javi stronger than Machida. For me it's likely to be:
1. Hanyu
2. Fernandez
3. Machida

colourmeblue

Rinkside
Machida and Fernandez will likely be on the podium. From performances and the scoring this season, it seems unlikely Han Yan can edge out either of them. I can see Kozuka finishing within the top 6, but not the top 3.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
That could happen, but it's unlikely. I think it will be Hanyu, Fernandez and then Machida or Kozuka. Kovtun could also surprise and take the silver or bronze spot. I don't think Abbott and Aaron will be on the podium but stranger things have happened. Not sure about Yan, being back in 7th at the Olympics, although Daisuke is missing so that's less spots to jump.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It could happen. Remember worlds are in Japan so the Japanese men will all be overscored just like the Russians all were in Sochi. Normally I would say Machida for instance would need alot of mistakes to beat Fernandez, but maybe not in Japan. Kozuka isnt the most consistent but he is a beautiful and technically potentially excellent skater, who also has top notch skating skils, so if he skates well his scores in Japan will go through the roof.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I hope and pray that the scoring is fair. I'm Japanese, and am going to watch the men's FS in Saitama! Yay! but the worst thing I can think of happening unfair judging. -Especially Hanyu. I want him to win very much, but I DON'T want him to win because of boosted scores. The past few World Championships have been a bit underwhelming performance-wise and I hope atmosphere of Japan can help people do their best. It's going to be PACKED.
On the other hand, I've been watching the GPF of 2013, 2012, 2011, and I was really surprised at how well everyone skated. If only they could do that at worlds. Go Team Japan! and all the other skaters too.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I hope and pray that the scoring is fair. I'm Japanese, and am going to watch the men's FS in Saitama! Yay! but the worst thing I can think of happening unfair judging. -Especially Hanyu. I want him to win very much, but I DON'T want him to win because of boosted scores. The past few World Championships have been a bit underwhelming performance-wise and I hope atmosphere of Japan can help people do their best. It's going to be PACKED.
On the other hand, I've been watching the GPF of 2013, 2012, 2011, and I was really surprised at how well everyone skated. If only they could do that at worlds. Go Team Japan! and all the other skaters too.

I totally agree. I am not Japanese but I am an unabashed Yuzuru fan and I want him to skate his best at home and complete a Grand Slam of skating's biggest titles this season. All eyes will be on him as the Olympic champion and any inflated scoring on home ice can only do him a disservice.

Re Tatsuki, a Worlds medal is a strong possibility. He has, aside from Yuzuru and Patrick, the strongest results this season. A Worlds podium finish will be a fitting way to cap his amazing season and also to make up for his Olympic disappointment. I am becoming more and more a fan as he seems to be a very thoughtful, highly intelligent young man who skates with passion (just like Yuzuru).

If Takahiko skates to his potential, he can place in the top 3 as he has won silver at Worlds. I will certainly be happy if he does that if only to salve part of his pain at being left off the Olympic team.

As I had posted in another thread, there are so many compelling individual story lines as to this particular competition not only with regard to the male but also the female Japanese representatives (Akiko, Kanako, and Mao). I wish them and all the other skaters well.

gmyers

Record Breaker
The only reason Fernandez didn't medal In sochi was the zayaking- he has got the pcs and the bv and the skills! He's got his name written on the podium already.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Well, If Hanyu will do everything perfect in his FS(which I believe he will do on his home ground) he can make even deserved 195-200 points with the TES potential up to 110. I just can imagine this tons of complain how overscored he was if he will do that. At GPF the judging was fair, for me he was maybe overscored in PCS only by 1 point, but still Chan was ahead in PCS few points as I remember.
So anyway what he will do - perfect or with mistakes I can see complains about overscoring :biggrin:

We will see, I hope for great event !

amc987

On the Ice
Like others, I think 1) Hanyu, 2) Fernandez, 3) Machida is way more likely than a sweep. Kozuka has been a mess for most of the past 2 seasons. I love his skating skills, but his consistency leaves a lot to be desired.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Men's technical panel:

Controller: Raffaella LOCATELLI (ITA)
TS: Lisa ERVIN (USA)
ATS: Jae-Eun CHUNG (KOR)

Seems fair, but Ervin is known to be a real stickler.

Flaya

Match Penalty
Of course, it is something that could happen in theory, but Fernandez seems more consistent than Kozuka.

But I would not be one bit surprised if it's 1: Japan, 2: Spain, 3 Japan.

Yes, Hanyu is overscored but not at the level of Patrick Chan.

I really hope judges are fair and no one will get a gold medal given to them on a plate, like last year's Chan at World.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
1.Hanyu
2.Fernandez
3.Machida
(2-3 depend only on Javi. If he has a major mistake, Machida has a good chance of a silver medal)

I hope the judges are going to be fair and I hope Yuzuru will have a great performance, like at the GPF and there will be no space for bad comments about him and overscoring.

AnneC

Rinkside
It could happen. Remember worlds are in Japan so the Japanese men will all be overscored just like the Russians all were in Sochi. Normally I would say Machida for instance would need alot of mistakes to beat Fernandez, but maybe not in Japan. Kozuka isnt the most consistent but he is a beautiful and technically potentially excellent skater, who also has top notch skating skils, so if he skates well his scores in Japan will go through the roof.
I just hope the judging will be fair. I´d be quite o.k. with a purely Japanese podium if the Japanese skaters perform in a way to truly deserve it (which is possible but, of course, not at all certain).

Antilopa

On the Ice
I just hope the judging will be fair. I´d be quite o.k. with a purely Japanese podium if the Japanese skaters perform in a way to truly deserve it (which is possible but, of course, not at all certain).
They overscored Mao in GPF and robbed Julia. Here will be the same.

AnneC

Rinkside
They overscored Mao in GPF and robbed Julia. Here will be the same.
There are cases though, when the overscoring does not ultimately affect the placements. V/T were (arguably) also somewhat overscored in Sochi. Still I don´t think that anybody doubts they deserved their win there. I admit that it is possible that Hanyu will win in any case due to overscoring, basically no matter what he does. But in that case I just hope he will skate to truly deserve what he will be given.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The only one who is even close to Hanyu in overall ability now is Chan, who is not even here. Hanyu could fall atleast twice and still deserve to win in this field. His technical and even presentation abilities are far beyond anyone else here to begin with, especialy technical. Well if Fernandez were clean you could argue that being cut, but Fernandez has never done 2 clean programs ever, so that wont happen.

Becki

Medalist
The only one who is even close to Hanyu in overall ability now is Chan, who is not even here. Hanyu could fall atleast twice and still deserve to win in this field. His technical and even presentation abilities are far beyond anyone else here to begin with, especialy technical. Well if Fernandez were clean you could argue that being cut, but Fernandez has never done 2 clean programs ever, so that wont happen.

But isn't that what people said for Carolina Kostner and even Adelina? And look, they delivered at the Olympics. Never say never ;) Although I hope Hanyu delivers TWO clean programs and win by a large margin (like he should).

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
But isn't that what people said for Carolina Kostner and even Adelina? And look, they delivered at the Olympics. Never say never ;) Although I hope Hanyu delivers TWO clean programs and win by a large margin (like he should).

Agreed. We shouldn't take something for granted. Everything can happen