Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Information required on Dorothy Goos Holiday on Ice skater

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RSE View Post
    Thanks for the additional link, Skatedreamer. I have so far found out nothing further about DG’s death. Was it indeed caused by the 1961 crash that Doris Pulaski referred to in her opening response? Perhaps she was listed among the casualties as Mrs Murray Galbraith. And did her husband perish too? I have Googled for him, but come up with very little. The Historical Dictionary of Figure Skating (James Hines) mentions him en passant in an entry about his more celebrated brother, Sheldon. If both parents died, then Murray junior would probably have been brought up by the German grandparents Goos, who emigrated to New York State in 1922.
    My pleasure, RSE! As far as I can tell, Dorothy Goos didn't die in the plane crash; that was one of the things I looked for yesterday. Unfortunately, further research will have to wait as it's time for me to rush off to work.

Full disclosure: looking at my post again, the dates of Goos' skating titles in relation to Edward LeMaire and the crash seem off -- 1961 & 1943 are too far apart, which makes me think I may have mis-read or mis-remembered.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    There is a blurry link to the list of passengers on the 1961 flight. I cannot read it on my tablet, but if you can expand it, perhaps you could see?
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...7288%2C3363522

They could have been going to attend Worlds, just as spectators. Or shopping for talent for Holiday On Ice. They need not have been associated with the US team or with USFSA.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 03-24-2014 at 07:34 AM.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Article re Dorothy Goos as Holiday on Ice skater/homemaker, including a photo:
    "Skater undaunted by 28 kitchens - cuts culinary capers with ease"
    Miami Daily News, Mar 10, 1950
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=5777,5483526

She is in the Skating Club of New York's database. Type "Goos" into the filter box to see a list of her medals from nationals and sectionals (senior/junior/novice + pairs/ladies).
    Pairs photo of Dorothy Goos and Edward LeMaire:

Apparently her husband was.her "dancing" partner in 1950!

And she did not skating until she was 12-at least that's when she received her skates for Christmas!

Since she & her husband appear to have been U.S. residents, perhaps death dates for both of them could be found on ancestry.com? Does anyone here have a subscription?

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ...Here is a newspaper article which mentions the show in South Africa in 1957.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=7400,2602246
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    ... And she did not skating until she was 12-at least that's when she received her skates for Christmas!
    No big whoop, but the Toledo Blade article at Mathman's link says:
    At age nine, Goos skated for the very first time -- at Rockefeller Center, no less.
    At age ten, she started skating competitively.

Custom Title
    I saw a picture of goos with Elvis dated after the plane crash.

I Read in an article she coached or trained in west palm beach. You google dorothy goos west palm beach you get a link to intelius saying a dorothy Stevens used to go by dorothy goos. Goos had a son named John and a relative of dorothy Stevens is John Stevens. Just thought that was interesting.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I saw a picture of goos with Elvis dated after the plane crash.

I Read in an article she coached or trained in west palm beach. You google dorothy goos west palm beach you get a link to intelius saying a dorothy Stevens used to go by dorothy goos. Goos had a son named John and a relative of dorothy Stevens is John Stevens. Just thought that was interesting.
    Thanks for all this additional information. Would it be possible for a public-spirited member of the forum to compile these disjecta membra into a Wikipedia entry for DG? She was clearly a skater of distinction who might have won Olympic gold if WW2 hadn't supervened, and I think she deserves to be memorialized there. Anybody Googling for her would thereafter be directed straight to Wikipedia, and find these data gathered into a manageable package.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2