Does Mao's training with Sato work? | Golden Skate

Does Mao's training with Sato work?

JayW

Final Flight
Sorry, if this is a repetitive topic.

After Torino, Mao went back to sketchboard and reworked on her jumps with coach Sato. But 4 years later, I fail to see any significant improvement in her jumps, she still has 3-3 underration and flutz. Sometimes, she even underrotates her 3F which used to be one of her best jumps.

I am such a Mao fan and it is so frustrating, I gave up any hope after couple of seasons. Sometimes, I wonder if she went to different coach, such as Frank Carrol or Brian Orser, could it be different?

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I think her skating improved a lot, generally - after going to Sato.

I also now regard her skating as possibly the most beautiful, light, graceful, and elegant in the world today... but I only thought she became so, in the last few years.

Regarding jumps, I suspect what happened is... she managed to halt any (further) decline in her abilities due to continuing to grow into her 20's. Her jumps may not seem any better than in the past, but it's possible that not being worse may be the real achievement? In any case, subjectively I think her jumps are actually stronger, and it's just UR's and mental blocks that continue to plague her... but I haven't really looked back at old performances to check.

Of course we'll never know for sure if Sato's coaching was a help or a hinderence. But personally I think it was a help :-D

I am of the view that if she hadn't spent 3+ years rebuilding herself, she wouldn't still be a top competitor today... and we wouldn't have seen THAT Olympic free skate. If nothing else, that incredible, emotionally-charged performance at the Olympics - not to mention 1st lady in history to land 8 triples in one program - made it all worthwhile.

Now if only she decides NOT to reitire! Seems a shame to spend 3 years rebuilding, and then only compete for one season afterwards...!

CarneAsada

Medalist
Regarding jumps, I suspect what happened is... she managed to halt any (further) decline in her abilities due to continuing to grow into her 20's. Her jumps may not seem any better than in the past, but it's possible that not being worse may be the real achievement? In any case, subjectively I think her jumps are actually stronger, and it's just UR's and mental blocks that continue to plague her... but I haven't really looked back at old performances to check.

I am of the view that if she hadn't spent 3+ years rebuilding herself, she wouldn't still be a top competitor today... and we wouldn't have seen THAT Olympic free skate. If nothing else, that incredible, emotionally-charged performance at the Olympics - not to mention 1st lady in history to land 8 triples in one program - made it all worthwhile.
I agree. Overall Asada's jumps have made big improvements since 2010. Sometimes people overestimate her Vancouver form, where she wasn't even attempting Lutz or Salchow and she wasn't even close to attempting a 3F-3Lo. If you make a direct comparison between Sochi and then, her 2A is just as consistent but with more flow out and more distance. There's not much basis for comparison on her 3T but I'd say doing 2A-3T is an improvement. Her 3S is still a little inconsistent but better than in 2010. Her 3Lo is about the same now except she is once again attempting 3-3Lo combinations. Her 3F has more flow out and a shorter entry. She still flutzes but at least it's a consistent jump. Her 3A is less consistent but it's still a beauty when landed.

The only disappointment there is the fact that she still flutzes, really. I don't know how much more other coaches could hope to accomplish with a skater already in her 20s. What would you expect Brian Orser to do? Kim already had her jumps when she went to him, and she didn't magically get a 3A or a more consistent 3Lo from him. Similar story with Frank Carroll and Kwan. We don't know how long Asada can maintain her Sochi condition, but at this point she's in good shape to continue.