Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How does Polina Edmunds stack up against Russian teens?

Custom Title
    Though Polina doesn't exactly finish her moves off fully I find her to have a good feel for music and basic movement. No starfish hands or awkward angles. Personally I prefer her to Gracie and she has the tech power to compete with the Russians.

Down With It
    I think Edmunds needs some more experience since in the judges' eyes, she's not yet at the level of Lipnitskaya or Sotnikova. But she COULD get there. She's definitely one to watch, but I'm concerned about how much staying power she'll have. She still has to grow up/fill out, plus injury might be a concern.

As for Worlds, she has a good chance to get into the top 5 or 6 here...who knows, I wouldn't even rule out her pulling a Meissner/getting onto the podium if the stars align. But of course that is a LONG shot. Conversely, if she's off she could also end up down in the teens...

Personally I prefer her to Gracie and she [Edmunds] has the tech power to compete with the Russians.
    Yes, but I think Gold does, too (to a lesser extent). It's Wagner that's lacking in that department, though I'll give her some credit for at least trying to get a 3-3 in.

Custom Title
    Jump wise, Polina is pretty good. Her weakness right now is presentation:hers is not bad but Russian girls' are strong, especially Elena and Aelx. I enjoy watching their skating even without the jumps.

Custom Title
    I think Polina will be a factor in the coming years and will be able to challenge the Russians. I think the quality of her jumps are better than Julia and Elena but they are ahead of her in the presentation of the program.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    She's quite tall, so I imagine she stacks up better than Lipnitskaya/Sotnikova/Radionova, if you were in the need for a human crate.

Banned
    None of these ladies seem particularly athletic so much as rail thin. They seem like Oksana Baiul/Tara Lipinski types.

Custom Title
    I think Polina needs a good stylist (ditch the little girl braids) and a good choreographer. She has the technical ability and just needs to mature a little with her presentation. She will be a force to be reckoned with. At this point in time, however, I feel Gracie has her bested in most all categories and is our best competitor with the rest of the world.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    She's quite tall, so I imagine she stacks up better than Lipnitskaya/Sotnikova/Radionova, if you were in the need for a human crate.
    She is tall but she is still not full grown woman. Remember Korobeynikova at 15.

Medalist
    I think Polina has alot of potential. She is only 15 and seems much taller and longer than the 3 young Russians so it will take her longer to develop. Will there be another Kim is the next 4 or 5 years? I don't think so. There will be alot of very good skaters but no almost automatic winner the way Kim was. Thus skaters who are young like Edmunds must believe if they maximize their potential they could be the best in the world. Polinas is not in the class of the Adelina dn Yulia at this time but she may be in a couple of years. Only time will tell about this very likable girl.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott512 View Post
    I think Polina has alot of potential. She is only 15 and seems much taller and longer than the 3 young Russians so it will take her longer to develop. Will there be another Kim is the next 4 or 5 years? I don't think so. There will be alot of very good skaters but no almost automatic winner the way Kim was. Thus skaters who are young like Edmunds must believe if they maximize their potential they could be the best in the world. Polinas is not in the class of the Adelina dn Yulia at this time but she may be in a couple of years. Only time will tell about this very likable girl.
    It took Yu-Na several years before she became an automatic winner too. She started off as a great jumper; it took about two years before everything really came together as a whole and she started dominating (around the 2008-2009 season).

Right now most of the girls are on a similar level when it comes to the technical side of things. They all have 3-3s and high level spins. What really makes a skater stand out is when they are able to tap into the presentation/artistic side of things and differentiate themselves from the rest of the jumpers. Not one of these "newer" girls is a complete skater yet. Adelina has great jumps and spins, wonderful on ice personality and spark, but she needs refinement and more polish. Julia has difficult jumps and amazing spins and wow factor, but she needs more maturity and expression. Gracie has the jumps, spins and tons of potential, but a lot of her interpretation and performance is on the surface/pageant-like. Polina (just like Elena and Anna) has a solid base but needs to add a lot more to it in order to stand out and rise to the top.

Everyone needs to work on something and no one skater is clearly ahead of the pack yet. It will take a few years for that separation to occur, if it occurs. I like it when everyone is evenly matched; it puts more pressure on people to deliver. I think this quad is going to be much more competitive than the last one...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2