How does Polina Edmunds stack up against Russian teens? | Golden Skate

How does Polina Edmunds stack up against Russian teens?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
How does she compare to Sotnikova or Julip? I feel she is a better dancer/mover than both AS and JL. However Elena will be the new it girl this season and right now she's a bomb. So talented. I see her rise as meteoric and think if puberty is kind, she will perform really well, and may be the complete girl to a tough Russian trio. Somone did a thread and the Promising Polinas of Russia have all petered out-one in Israel, one injured, and one forgotten. Plus where is Liza now???? shortlived tech phenoms.

Grace I hope is World Champ by 2015. She will be unbeatable. I love Ashley but ISU judges will decide her fate next year. Edmunds is a competitor I can see, but gawky to look at in her LP. But her sp showed a performer even better than Kaetlynn. So I feel we have a great trio, with I hope Cesario getting respect this year. Grace can win worlds if Adelina won Olympics. And without cheating or crazy PCS. Grace deserves high PCS. She's the total package from the blades to her crown. I don't know why anyone would doubt this elegant woman who has great jumps/and Frank and Lori now. I hope she wins Gold in 2018 so Frank can feel he did it after so many great student ladies just missing the top.

Here's hoping Polina's body stays manageable for her because her mind seems very calm.

I had my eye on Polina Korobeynikova and also thought Gosviani might hatch. Well, I've learnt to not count my chickens, esp if of Caucasian backround and not thru puberty. I hate that Arakawa was the only mature woman -yet very slender to grab that gold since ? Good luck to our fab 3 ladies. But if we cannot win the WC this year, may Caro Mao or Akiko win, oh skate Gods!

Meoima

Match Penalty
I have to say the Russian girls are so strong at this moment. The female field might be dominated by them from next years. Not that I am a fan of Adelina Sonitkova, but she does jumps high and her combos are huge. Julia, my baby, is more consistent and flexible. Radionova might be better than them all, but puberty has not come for her so I don't know. I hope Gold could improve her PCS, worlds 2016 will be in USA if I remember correctly. Edmunds would be a more complete skater by then.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The Russian ladies at Worlds are Julia and Anna Pogorilaya.

Polina Edmunds seems to be a fierce competitor.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Polina is pretty much an honorary Russian. Her mom is a figure skating coach who was born in Russia. While on her Olympic journey she stayed with her family in Russia and experienced Russian culture first hand from family members. I read how proud she was of her Russian heritage and can speak and understand some Russian.

Did Polina ever skate at JWC? I can't find any records of her skating there.

I do have high hopes and expect big things from her. IMO she even more than the Russian teens needs to develop a little further and work on creating an identity that helps her stand out. No doubt about it though....this kid has potential.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
She won US Juniors last year. A FAIR, she received no JGP assignment in the 2012-2013 season, and as so many U.S. junior ladies champions have found, she was not assigned to Jr Worlds last year.

She got the spring competition in Gardena and won it in 2013. That was.her first international competition.

http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/profile/polina_edmunds

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Big mistake was not sending Polina to Jr Worlds last year instead of someone like Yasmin Siraj who finished a poor 11th. It's time for the USFSA to start looking to the future not the past.

zamboni step

Final Flight
Firstly, she isn't a better performer than Kaetlyn Osmond, I don't think any lady is. Secondly I think she has a lot to offer this sport, her SS are strong, she has decent TR, I loved her FS this year, great packaging. She also has the jumps to compete, I think she needs more experience and more dance lessons to control those limbs of hers, if she could control those she'd be gorgeous to watch. :love:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
The main downside to Polina is that she's very behind in terms of senior international experience. Sochi was her first senior intl' event, whereas Julia (who is the same age) and Elena (who is a year younger) have all had senior GP experience. Julia has been on the senior level for 2 years despite the fact this year will be her first trip to senior worlds, and Elena debuted on the senior GP this year, medaled at both of her events and came in 4th at the Final. Both have made their mark. Adelina has been a senior since 2011-2012 so I wouldn't count her in this list...

To answer the OP, comparing Polina to the Russian girls her age, I think she stacks up well. She's part of the new school newbies who have multiple 3-3s and high level elements. I think she's more refined than most 15 year old with her body type would be but she does need work, like all of them do. She needs refinement and more control, but she seems to have that competitive mind and attack plus she's a decent performer. She did very well in Sochi and if she can follow that up with a strong performance at worlds this week it should set her up well for next season.

We've got the new veterans about to take over (Adelina, Julia, Gracie) and then we have the newbies coming in (Elena, Polina, Anna whoever else makes the jump next year). The field is pretty stacked but Russia is definitely the deepest. I think Polina is a great #2 or #3 for the US (we'll have to see how Ashley does moving forward) and as long as she continues to improve I think she'll do fine.

I think Gracie has improved a lot this season but I'm not as convinced as everyone else that she's going to dominate. She's the best thing going for the US right now but I don't put her ahead of the Russians...not at this point. I find Adelina to be a better performer than Gracie (who is still very pageant like in her presentation/interpretation) and both Adelina and Julia trump Gracie in terms of transitions. I think a full year with Frank as well as a summer with two tailored programs instead of mid-season switch and a revamped trainwreck of a FS will make a big difference for Gracie next year. Hopefully she'll be able to handle the pressure that comes with being a gold-medal favorite. She's done well so far but we'll have to see if that continues.

I see Adelina, Julia and Gracie (the veterans) as the front-runners next season, with Elena, Polina and Anna (the newbies) right on their heels, plus there will be even more newbies entering the ranks. I'm so excited to see how everything will play out next season. With the main names gone, the throne is there for the taking. Who is going to step up? Can't wait to find out!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The Russian ladies at Worlds are Julia and Anna Pogorilaya.

Polina Edmunds seems to be a fierce competitor.
Polina actually stacks up very well against them mainly because not only is she technically proficient she does not have the pressure of the Russian girls. Ashley and Gracie have the pressure to get three spots as does Anna and Julia so there is a huge difference. Also, Polina seems to have a better body type as well to survive puberty. Julia looks to be in trouble as does Radionova

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I may be proven wrong, but I am not as hyped about Polina Edmunds as some are. She is rather lacking in the presentation department, for whatever that is worth in the IJS. Put another way, she still skates like a junior. And she is not going to stay a stick figure forever. If she survives the normal filling out that most girls experience as they grow up, more power to her. I also think having her mother as her coach could be a problem as she gets older and wants to make her own decisions about her career.

amc987

On the Ice
It depends on which Russian you're talking about, but IMO, Polina has better jump technique than Lipnitskaya, Radionova, and Sotnikova. Her spins are solid but they're less strong than the skaters I mentioned. Polina's presentation is also far below those aforementioned girls.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd love to see how Polina would fair at Russian Nationals. Of course we'd have to use Japanese judges or something.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Polinas in figure skating are usually bad luck in Russia

Polina Korobeynikova - Career ended getting too tall
Polina Shelepen - career ended because of injuries
Polina Agafonova - also growth now constant UR

lets see what happens with Polina E, Im hoping her being an American will be spared

RABID

Final Flight
How does she compare to Sotnikova or Julip? I feel she is a better dancer/mover than both AS and JL. However Elena will be the new it girl this season and right now she's a bomb. So talented. I see her rise as meteoric and think if puberty is kind, she will perform really well, and may be the complete girl to a tough Russian trio. Somone did a thread and the Promising Polinas of Russia have all petered out-one in Israel, one injured, and one forgotten. Plus where is Liza now???? shortlived tech phenoms.

Grace I hope is World Champ by 2015. She will be unbeatable. I love Ashley but ISU judges will decide her fate next year. Edmunds is a competitor I can see, but gawky to look at in her LP. But her sp showed a performer even better than Kaetlynn. So I feel we have a great trio, with I hope Cesario getting respect this year. Grace can win worlds if Adelina won Olympics. And without cheating or crazy PCS. Grace deserves high PCS. She's the total package from the blades to her crown. I don't know why anyone would doubt this elegant woman who has great jumps/and Frank and Lori now. I hope she wins Gold in 2018 so Frank can feel he did it after so many great student ladies just missing the top.

Here's hoping Polina's body stays manageable for her because her mind seems very calm.

I had my eye on Polina Korobeynikova and also thought Gosviani might hatch. Well, I've learnt to not count my chickens, esp if of Caucasian backround and not thru puberty. I hate that Arakawa was the only mature woman -yet very slender to grab that gold since ? Good luck to our fab 3 ladies. But if we cannot win the WC this year, may Caro Mao or Akiko win, oh skate Gods!

Thank you. Finally a thread about Polina. (are we moving on then, finally?) I think she has the judges interest with her Sochi debut and it is my belief that they are ready to award and treat her as an upper echelon skater, until she proves herself otherwise. With more exposure she WILL be a threat; she is part of this class and I expect a classic Russian, American rivalry in the years to come.

usethis2

Medalist
It depends on which Russian you're talking about, but IMO, Polina has better jump technique than Lipnitskaya, Radionova, and Sotnikova. Her spins are solid but they're less strong than the skaters I mentioned. Polina's presentation is also far below those aforementioned girls.

She indeed has correct jump techniques which was refreshing to see. If she gain strength as she grow older, I can see her improving unlike some other girls who have strange techniques but somehow make do.

Said that, her edges are shallow. It's no surprise since she's just out of junior - she can/will improve on them. How she will handle the height of her (esp. if she grows even taller) is a small question mark. There isn't much you can do about growth so we have to wait and see. I do like her skating.

ivy

On the Ice
Though Polina doesn't exactly finish her moves off fully I find her to have a good feel for music and basic movement. No starfish hands or awkward angles. Personally I prefer her to Gracie and she has the tech power to compete with the Russians.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think Edmunds needs some more experience since in the judges' eyes, she's not yet at the level of Lipnitskaya or Sotnikova. But she COULD get there. She's definitely one to watch, but I'm concerned about how much staying power she'll have. She still has to grow up/fill out, plus injury might be a concern.

As for Worlds, she has a good chance to get into the top 5 or 6 here...who knows, I wouldn't even rule out her pulling a Meissner/getting onto the podium if the stars align. But of course that is a LONG shot. Conversely, if she's off she could also end up down in the teens...

Personally I prefer her to Gracie and she [Edmunds] has the tech power to compete with the Russians.

Yes, but I think Gold does, too (to a lesser extent). It's Wagner that's lacking in that department, though I'll give her some credit for at least trying to get a 3-3 in.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Jump wise, Polina is pretty good. Her weakness right now is presentation:hers is not bad but Russian girls' are strong, especially Elena and Aelx. I enjoy watching their skating even without the jumps.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think Polina will be a factor in the coming years and will be able to challenge the Russians. I think the quality of her jumps are better than Julia and Elena but they are ahead of her in the presentation of the program.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
She's quite tall, so I imagine she stacks up better than Lipnitskaya/Sotnikova/Radionova, if you were in the need for a human crate.