How does Polina Edmunds stack up against Russian teens? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How does Polina Edmunds stack up against Russian teens?

sk8in

Match Penalty
None of these ladies seem particularly athletic so much as rail thin. They seem like Oksana Baiul/Tara Lipinski types.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think Polina needs a good stylist (ditch the little girl braids) and a good choreographer. She has the technical ability and just needs to mature a little with her presentation. She will be a force to be reckoned with. At this point in time, however, I feel Gracie has her bested in most all categories and is our best competitor with the rest of the world.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I think Polina has alot of potential. She is only 15 and seems much taller and longer than the 3 young Russians so it will take her longer to develop. Will there be another Kim is the next 4 or 5 years? I don't think so. There will be alot of very good skaters but no almost automatic winner the way Kim was. Thus skaters who are young like Edmunds must believe if they maximize their potential they could be the best in the world. Polinas is not in the class of the Adelina dn Yulia at this time but she may be in a couple of years. Only time will tell about this very likable girl.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I think Polina has alot of potential. She is only 15 and seems much taller and longer than the 3 young Russians so it will take her longer to develop. Will there be another Kim is the next 4 or 5 years? I don't think so. There will be alot of very good skaters but no almost automatic winner the way Kim was. Thus skaters who are young like Edmunds must believe if they maximize their potential they could be the best in the world. Polinas is not in the class of the Adelina dn Yulia at this time but she may be in a couple of years. Only time will tell about this very likable girl.

It took Yu-Na several years before she became an automatic winner too. She started off as a great jumper; it took about two years before everything really came together as a whole and she started dominating (around the 2008-2009 season).

Right now most of the girls are on a similar level when it comes to the technical side of things. They all have 3-3s and high level spins. What really makes a skater stand out is when they are able to tap into the presentation/artistic side of things and differentiate themselves from the rest of the jumpers. Not one of these "newer" girls is a complete skater yet. Adelina has great jumps and spins, wonderful on ice personality and spark, but she needs refinement and more polish. Julia has difficult jumps and amazing spins and wow factor, but she needs more maturity and expression. Gracie has the jumps, spins and tons of potential, but a lot of her interpretation and performance is on the surface/pageant-like. Polina (just like Elena and Anna) has a solid base but needs to add a lot more to it in order to stand out and rise to the top.

Everyone needs to work on something and no one skater is clearly ahead of the pack yet. It will take a few years for that separation to occur, if it occurs. I like it when everyone is evenly matched; it puts more pressure on people to deliver. I think this quad is going to be much more competitive than the last one...