2014 Worlds Men Short Program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds Men Short Program

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Cheers to Nam Nguyen and my compatriot Christopher Caluza for qualifying for the free per the British Eurosport commentary :)

BusyMom

Medalist
Big congrat to the Philippines. I laugh so hard when Caluza show the no. 23 at his collar.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Crossing my fingers for Bychenko, The pride of Israel ;) to repeat his europeans performances,
And land the quad and all else

UnChosen

On the Ice
Correctly, his sure name should be written as "Nguyễn" which is very difficult for Western people to pronounce. :slink: Vietnamese name.:scowl:

It's like Han Cong is pronounced Han Ch"own" and not Han Kong...according to my Chinese friends.

The good thing is that once you learn the pronounciation of these Asian names you can remember it VERY easily. Those crazy long Eastern European name on the other hand are impossible for me.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDv6n08WFtA
in the comments they say that's the Southern Vietnamese pronunciation. It is difficult, but I'd take the effort of pronouncing something like Wen (approximately) over the NGoo-yen, that's nowhere near the correct pronunciation.
A case can be made for lots of names in lots of languages, and I think it would be nice for commentators to make the effort and learn the approximate pronunciation of 30-40 athletes' names, so the audience may learn them as well.

auser

Record Breaker
Just noticed :yay:
Since you are still awake B_I, will you please provide link to your blog if/when you post? Also you mentioned wanting to listen to British Eurosport streams to hear calling of jumps. Does this not happen on the Canadian broadcast( I hope I am not putting you on the spot):)