Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Eliminate commentary during actual skating

Eliminate commentary during actual skating

When I attend a performance of the San Francisco Ballet, there is no announcer on stage telling me about the action. "My wasn't that a beautiful lift"! or "Did you notice the corps de ballet was not in unison on that entrance". The same is true for the symphony."The trombones were late in that last passage". "The first flute was out of tune"....etc.

Skating is a combination of athleticism and an aesthetic performance. The artist (skater) is communicating something to those watching. Having an announcer constantly talking, destroys the experience. I want to form MY OWN opinion of the event. I don't need someone to tell me what to think.

Here is my proposal: Have the announcers introduce the event and the skater. Tell us a little about him or her and something about the music that will be performed. Then, when the music starts......SHUT UP. During the replay, make the necessary comments about style, mistakes,and on the elements that were performed beautifully.

I would thoroughly enjoy this approach!

Banned
    but the ballet and the symphony aren't competitions...

it's helpful for the general audience. i know it's annoying if you know a lot about skating but there are millions of people out there who don't and the highlight reels aren't always comprehensive. i find most commentators know when to shut up if the program is really good anyway

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    There are a few posters here that could do great commentary. I get a real kick out of some of the comments that appear during live coverage. Especially the earlier groups. I notice in really good skates like Yulia at Euro's no matter what feed I watch almost all of the announcers are pretty quiet! Certain skaters are good enough to silence the announcers. I wish at times medals could be rewarded based on this alone!

I agree though that some announcers need to eat a taco or something for the performance instead of eating up the attention I'm trying to pay to the skating. It's kind of like when your watching a movie and someone says" check this part out its great" then you watch it and think to yourself...that actually kind of ruined it for me.

Anyway I'd say Eurosports seem to be the best in terms of showing overall respect to the skate and seem the least disruptive IMO.

Banned
    Anyway I'd say Eurosports seem to be the best in terms of showing overall respect to the skate and seem the least disruptive IMO.
    i like the eurosport guys too but i swear to god, they all have exactly the same voices, i can never tell them apart. once i thought all three of them were commentating at a gala, but nope, it turns out it was just one guy

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    i like the eurosport guys too but i swear to god, they all have exactly the same voices, i can never tell them apart. once i thought all three of them were commentating at a gala, but nope, it turns out it was just one guy
    If I remember correctly, Eurosport has 3 commentators and their voices sound very distinctive to each other. Usually there are 2 guys only, though.

I think the general public wants to know what jump she or he just did or what kinda spin it was. Otherwise, how would you know if a skater is doing a camel spin or showing off her camel toe?

There is a Yulia video...I think CoR where I too am unsure how many guys are announcing! I thought one guy was doing it then while she's in the Kiss and Cry I swear someone else starts talking or he's just disagreeing with himself or something insane like that. What's even more confusing is I swear the same guy who said at skate Canada he loved Yulia's SP was then saying how he didn't understand why she chose that music and how difficult it was to skate to. Aside from that though they are great. Lol

Banned
    Eurosport has 3 commentators and their voices sound very distinctive to each other.
    omg no, they sound literally IDENTICAL to me

maybe their accents are bamboozling me.......i'm very simple and easily distracted

Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I think the general public wants to know what jump she or he just did or what kinda spin it was. Otherwise, how would you know if a skater is doing a camel spin or showing off her camel toe?

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    omg no, they sound literally IDENTICAL to me

maybe their accents are bamboozling me.......i'm very simple and easily distracted
    Oh really? And here I always think they sound very distinctive. I can tell who is who from their voice. As for NBC, Tracy Wilson is like never stop talking.

Custom Title
    but the ballet and the symphony aren't competitions...

it's helpful for the general audience. i know it's annoying if you know a lot about skating but there are millions of people out there who don't and the highlight reels aren't always comprehensive. i find most commentators know when to shut up if the program is really good anyway
    There are ballet and musical competitions and they have no commentary as the participants compete. Imagine someone vocally commenting while a pianists is competing in the Van Cliburn Piano Competition.

Figure skating commentary while the skaters is on the ice has spoiled many a performance for me by destroying the mood the skaters is trying to create.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Actually, I quite enjoy listening to Kurt Browning's coverage on the CBC. I just watched the junior worlds and his coverage of the men's, ladies and ice dance was delightful. I also like his co commentators Carol Lane (Ice Dance coach) and Brenda Irving (CBC reporter). They also know when to talk and when not to talk.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    Actually, I quite enjoy listening to Kurt Browning's coverage on the CBC. I just watched the junior worlds and his coverage of the men's, ladies and ice dance was delightful. I also like his co commentators Carol Lane (Ice Dance coach) and Brenda Irving (CBC reporter). They also know when to talk and when not to talk.

Me too. Kurt and Carol are terrific commentators. Even when I've already watched the event on line, with either no commentators or foreign language hosts, I tune in for their take. I enjoy the way Kurt empathises with all the skates. I like the way he and Carol point out what to look for - AND when some is working brilliantly, they are both silent.

Custom Title
    The NBC are the worst. Natter natter natter they never shut up. I was watching Joshua Farris' Schindler's List from Skate Canada with the Weir/Gannon commentary and I just wanted to put duct tape over Gannon's mouth. That step sequence deserves absolute silence which was exactly how Weir handled it but Gannon insisted on talking...and of course just don't get me started on Scott Hamilton.

#TeamAUS
    You need commentary. To elimiate commentary during the actual skating is to make skating basically inacessible to the general public. There has to be a good balance.
    We need commentary to engage the tv audience- figure skating is a sport and not 100% about the art.

We also need to stop bad mouthing the commentators. I have no care when people say that this person is blah and that person is blah blah because each commentator is different and i love what each one Individually contrbutes. Be careful what you wish for because what is worse, loud commentors and coverage or no coverage at all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast