Skate America to be in Chicago area (Hoffman Estates, IL) Oct. 24-26 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skate America to be in Chicago area (Hoffman Estates, IL) Oct. 24-26

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
No, not even by Metra. You will definitely need a car for this one. I would recommend if you like to shop staying in Schaumburg (hello, Woodfield!). Sears Center IS along 90

I believe that's where the IKEA is, right? Haha that is my point of reference to that place and the only time I ever was in Schaumburg. I believe that was back in the early 2000s.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haha, no worries. The highlights of my trip to Nationals was basically meeting Jason Brown and eating. So yeah, priorities!

That said, I don't know much about the culinary delights in the suburbs......

ETA: LOL from Phil Hersh (who is in Chicago):

Olyphil 2:35pm via TweetDeck
Saying 2014 Skate America will be in Chicago is a stretch. You need passport to go from Chicago to Hoffman Estates. Different county.

I'm sure Phil has already applied for his passport! He lives in Evanston, I believe, not Chicago.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That is a long wait. They usually announce the lineups the first week of June.

You're right. Also ISU Congress is in Dublin on June 9-13, so I'm not sure why they would delay it until June 27?

Sloopy

On the Ice
OMG!!! It was one of the cities that I was hoping would get it. It also happens to be on the weekend my Ohio State Buckeyes have an away game at Penn State. Road trip to my sister's house which is close to Hoffman Estates. :party2:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I am so thankful to hear the USFS has accommodated many hardcore college football fans. :)

Does anyone know generally how much tickets to these events go for. I have never been to a Grand Prix competition and would like to get an idea of just how many pennies I need to save ;-) Also, has anyone heard when tickets go on sale?

The tickets will likely go on sale shortly after the lineups are announced in June. The price depends on where you sit.....When I went in 2012, they charged $365 (plus fees and taxes) for the VIP all-event pass that gave you access to a lounge and some other perks (plus nice seats, of course), but you can get all-event tickets for much less....

Last edited:

w4300

Rinkside
The tickets will likely go on sale shortly after the lineups are announced in June. The price depends on where you sit.....When I went in 2012, they charged $365 (plus fees and taxes) for the VIP all-event pass that gave you access to a lounge and some other perks (plus nice seats, of course), but you can get all-event tickets for much less....

Thanks Mrs. P, that actually would be doable since I would not have to fly anywhere and I would get to sleep at home. Sounds like a late BD or early Christmas gift LOL

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks Mrs. P, that actually would be doable since I would not have to fly anywhere and I would get to sleep at home. Sounds like a late BD or early Christmas gift LOL

Sounds like a plan. :) I sprung for the VIP tickets last time since I didn't have to fly. I probably won't spurge so much this time, if I go, since I would have to pay for plane tickets/rental car.

desertskates

Medalist
Woot--already got permission from hubster! Not that I need it, but, you know...
I'm sure it'll be easier to track down good eats closer to the time. And tickets conveniently go on sale around my birthday :yay:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Woot--already got permission from hubster! Not that I need it, but, you know...
I'm sure it'll be easier to track down good eats closer to the time. And tickets conveniently go on sale around my birthday :yay:

Still working on mine. :) Penciling out costs and seeing if I want to trade a half-marathon in the Olympic peninsula for this...

Sloopy

On the Ice
I am so thankful to hear the USFS has accommodated many hardcore college football fans. :)

It's about time USFS got something right in Sloopy's world. Although I'm sure there will be someone who isn't going to be happy because their favorite college team is playing on that weekend. What would have been even better, and probably would have made may heart explode with excitement, would have been if the Buckeyes were playing a noon game against the Wildcats in Evanston on that Saturday. Football in the afternoon, figure skating in the evening. :love:

FishOutOfWater

Rinkside
I was SO excited to see this headline (I grew up in the area), but calling this suburb Chicago is really pushing it. I'd love to go, but with my parents living in the actual city, I imagine this isn't realistic or do-able without a public transit option. :cry:

desertskates

Medalist
Still working on mine. :) Penciling out costs and seeing if I want to trade a half-marathon in the Olympic peninsula for this...

Yikes, tough choice! But if you go with the half-marathon, the gs folks on the ground will keep you well informed :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I was SO excited to see this headline (I grew up in the area), but calling this suburb Chicago is really pushing it. I'd love to go, but with my parents living in the actual city, I imagine this isn't realistic or do-able without a public transit option. :cry:

Yeah, it's like in 2012 when they said it was in Seattle and it was in a suburb about 20 miles away.

mskater93

Record Breaker
What would have been even better, and probably would have made may heart explode with excitement, would have been if the Buckeyes were playing a noon game against the Wildcats in Evanston on that Saturday. Football in the afternoon, figure skating in the evening. :love:

Uh, it's NOT noon here in Chicago land for early BT kickoffs. That would be an 11AM kickoff. The Western Division is Central Time (minus the Indiana team in our division). Also, if my 'Cats get their mojo back this season, that would have been another night game or at the very least a 2:30. ;) As it is, my 'Cats are on a bye week that weekend. WOOT! I've already cleared it with Mr. mskater and I might (just might, if he doesn't pick that weekend for a fall marathon) just drag him to this as well. Coach #1 and I talked about it this morning and are considering volunteering. :)

mskater93

Record Breaker
Sounds like a plan. :) I sprung for the VIP tickets last time since I didn't have to fly. I probably won't spurge so much this time, if I go, since I would have to pay for plane tickets/rental car.

If you book plane tix, make sure you also check Milwaukee and Rockford as Milwaukee is a little over an hour from HE and Rockford about the same and both are quite reasonable for getting out of (TSA, etc)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
If you book plane tix, make sure you also check Milwaukee and Rockford as Milwaukee is a little over an hour from HE and Rockford about the same and both are quite reasonable for getting out of (TSA, etc)

Ooohhh good idea! I interned in Milwaukee one summer and went to Chicago a lot.

Mr. P's never been to Chicago, so looking forward to introducing him to some of my fave places (when we're not in the burbs, of course)....it's been six years since I've been there last!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Uh, it's NOT noon here in Chicago land for early BT kickoffs. That would be an 11AM kickoff. The Western Division is Central Time (minus the Indiana team in our division). Also, if my 'Cats get their mojo back this season, that would have been another night game or at the very least a 2:30. ;) As it is, my 'Cats are on a bye week that weekend. WOOT! I've already cleared it with Mr. mskater and I might (just might, if he doesn't pick that weekend for a fall marathon) just drag him to this as well. Coach #1 and I talked about it this morning and are considering volunteering. :)

Haha, it would be sort of fun to run a race while I"m over there, but that that would be overkill...

Last edited: