Skate America to be in Chicago area (Hoffman Estates, IL) Oct. 24-26 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skate America to be in Chicago area (Hoffman Estates, IL) Oct. 24-26

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Last time I drive thru Chicago I was paying tolls to the point I ran out of change and just went thru a gate at and this siren went off. Will I be welcomed back. I mean...I owe the city like 45 cents or something.

I'm sure if you pay interest (90 cents) you will be fine.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Skam..with Gracie and Jason...hard to resist.

I have to figure out how to do this. Mr. Ski has already bought tickets for Nationals, so it will be a hard sell at home.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Skam..with Gracie and Jason...hard to resist.

I have to figure out how to do this. Mr. Ski has already bought tickets for Nationals, so it will be a hard sell at home.

Um, hello. Meeting up with Mr. P and me is not a valuable selling point to Mr. Ski? Mr. P said that you and Mr. Ski had a delightful conversation with him while I was trying to chase Ice Dancing autographs. We probably won't be at Nationals...

Last edited:

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
So I guess I shouldn't point out that I ran in t-shirts and shorts the other day in Washington state.... :slink:

Ohhhhh....please don't, Mrs. P. I had to stop to try and remember what shorts and a t-shirt are. A friend in Oregon emailed last week saying it was 70 degrees. We hate that kind of information.

Sam-Skwantch, that's funny. I had no money once and they gave me a slip of paper or something telling me where to send it in. It cost me about a dollar to send them .40.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Also worth noting from the news release:

The complete list of athletes selected to compete at the 2014 Hilton HHonors Skate America and the rest of the 2014 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events will be announced June 27.

So mark that on your calendars....I guess?

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Quandary. Do I go to Skate Canada, which is actually closer to my house? Or do I go to Skate America, which is in one of my fave cities and would give Mr. P an excuse to ride the Empire Builder? Decisions, decisions.

I'm trying to figure out if I can swing both, but the fact that the events are back to back makes it tough. Will have to check out the skater lists first!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm trying to figure out if I can swing both, but the fact that the events are back to back makes it tough. Will have to check out the skater lists first!

It will probably have to be one or the other for me....Kelowna is a 7 hour drive (and plane tickets are cost prohibitive) from my house so it would required some time off there.

However, plane tickets to Chicago are quite competitive right now ($400 from my home airport, instead of having to drive to Seattle)....so I'm tempted to pull the trigger if I go.

Mr. P seemed open to a plane/train combo, where we would take the train one way and the plane back. I sort of like the idea of a cross-country train ride!

Last edited:

w4300

Rinkside
I am so excited. I literally live 10 minutes from the Sears Centre. I have no idea how much tickets will be but I am starting to save my pennies right this very minute

desertskates

Medalist
Hmmm, seems I'll be about due to pay a visit to a pal living in Chicago about then. And there is no shortage of cheap PHX-ORD nonstops! :thumbsup:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For sure! And maybe a bit of good natured rehashing of the events over any one of the superb dinners on offer in Chicago-land. Gawd, I can't keep food out of anything :laugh:

Haha, no worries. The highlights of my trip to Nationals was basically meeting Jason Brown and eating. So yeah, priorities!

That said, I don't know much about the culinary delights in the suburbs......

ETA: LOL from Phil Hersh (who is in Chicago):

Olyphil 2:35pm via TweetDeck
Saying 2014 Skate America will be in Chicago is a stretch. You need passport to go from Chicago to Hoffman Estates. Different county.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Penciling out logistics. So nice that they announced it early!

mintx

On the Ice
I'm sure you have seen it but these were tweets from USFS and Jason Brown today.

U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating · 10h
What figure skaters do you hope to see at Skate America? There will be several #Sochi2014 stars on hand!

U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating · 11h
NEWS: 2014 @HiltonHHonors Skate America to be Held in Chicago >> http://www.hhonorssponsorships.com/figureskating/news/1578/

Jason Brown ‏@jasonbskates · 10h
“@USFigureSkating: NEWS: 2014 @HiltonHHonors Skate America to be Held in Chicago >> http://www.hhonorssponsorships.com/figureskating/news/1578/ …” Ahh! Skate America in Chicago!!

U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating · 9h
We had a feeling @jasonbskates would like this news.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Um, hello. Meeting up with Mr. P and me is not a valuable selling point to Mr. Ski? Mr. P said that you and Mr. Ski had a delightful conversation with him while I was trying to chase Ice Dancing autographs. We probably won't be at Nationals...

Yes, that would be a valuable selling point!

Also the fact that we can get a direct flight from Providence :)

w4300

Rinkside
Does anyone know generally how much tickets to these events go for. I have never been to a Grand Prix competition and would like to get an idea of just how many pennies I need to save ;-) Also, has anyone heard when tickets go on sale?