Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Skate America to be in Chicago area (Hoffman Estates, IL) Oct. 24-26

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Also just so everyone knows, the Sears Center is pretty far out of the city center. Like, even in ideal traffic 45 minutes out. And it isn't reachable with public transport. So be aware of that.
    Not even via Metra?

Quote Originally Posted by PlaysInTheDirt View Post
    Or at the rate we've been going, mskater, a couple of weeks before.....lol.

tulosai, no fair taunting those of us who have suffered through such a LONG winter. Good call on explaining the location, by the way.
    Oh unfortunately I'm not in SoCal... just love to visit... the winter where I currently am isn't like Chicago bad, but hasn't been a picnic by any stretch of the imagination. it snowed today fairly heavily.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Also just so everyone knows, the Sears Center is pretty far out of the city center. Like, even in ideal traffic 45 minutes out. And it isn't reachable with public transport. So be aware of that.
    Last time I drive thru Chicago I was paying tolls to the point I ran out of change and just went thru a gate and this siren went off. Will I be welcomed back. I mean...I owe the city like 45 cents or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Not even via Metra?
    you can take metra to schaumburg or to hanover park, but even from there you'd need to catch a cab to get there and it'd be a good 15 min drive.

skating philosopher
    So I guess I shouldn't point out that I ran in t-shirts and shorts the other day in Washington state....

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Last time I drive thru Chicago I was paying tolls to the point I ran out of change and just went thru a gate at and this siren went off. Will I be welcomed back. I mean...I owe the city like 45 cents or something.
    I'm sure if you pay interest (90 cents) you will be fine.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    I'm sure if you pay interest (90 cents) you will be fine.
    Ill take a gold dollar to chuck into that thing after I pay and the gate is up.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Skam..with Gracie and Jason...hard to resist.

I have to figure out how to do this. Mr. Ski has already bought tickets for Nationals, so it will be a hard sell at home.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Skam..with Gracie and Jason...hard to resist.

I have to figure out how to do this. Mr. Ski has already bought tickets for Nationals, so it will be a hard sell at home.
    Um, hello. Meeting up with Mr. P and me is not a valuable selling point to Mr. Ski? Mr. P said that you and Mr. Ski had a delightful conversation with him while I was trying to chase Ice Dancing autographs. We probably won't be at Nationals...
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 03-25-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Custom Title
    So I guess I shouldn't point out that I ran in t-shirts and shorts the other day in Washington state....
    Ohhhhh....please don't, Mrs. P. I had to stop to try and remember what shorts and a t-shirt are. A friend in Oregon emailed last week saying it was 70 degrees. We hate that kind of information.

Sam-Skwantch, that's funny. I had no money once and they gave me a slip of paper or something telling me where to send it in. It cost me about a dollar to send them .40.

skating philosopher
    Also worth noting from the news release:

The complete list of athletes selected to compete at the 2014 Hilton HHonors Skate America and the rest of the 2014 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events will be announced June 27.
    So mark that on your calendars....I guess?

Custom Title
    Quandary. Do I go to Skate Canada, which is actually closer to my house? Or do I go to Skate America, which is in one of my fave cities and would give Mr. P an excuse to ride the Empire Builder? Decisions, decisions.
    I'm trying to figure out if I can swing both, but the fact that the events are back to back makes it tough. Will have to check out the skater lists first!

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by pitterpatter View Post
    I'm trying to figure out if I can swing both, but the fact that the events are back to back makes it tough. Will have to check out the skater lists first!
    It will probably have to be one or the other for me....Kelowna is a 7 hour drive (and plane tickets are cost prohibitive) from my house so it would required some time off there.

However, plane tickets to Chicago are quite competitive right now ($400 from my home airport, instead of having to drive to Seattle)....so I'm tempted to pull the trigger if I go.

Mr. P seemed open to a plane/train combo, where we would take the train one way and the plane back. I sort of like the idea of a cross-country train ride!
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 03-25-2014 at 06:19 PM.

Rinkside
    I am so excited. I literally live 10 minutes from the Sears Centre. I have no idea how much tickets will be but I am starting to save my pennies right this very minute

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Hmmm, seems I'll be about due to pay a visit to a pal living in Chicago about then. And there is no shortage of cheap PHX-ORD nonstops!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast