Thread: Firing Ottavio Cinquanta

Hybrid View

Tripping on the Podium

Exclamation Firing Ottavio Cinquanta

Is there anything fans of the sport can do to fire Ottavio Cinquanta?

What did it for me was his public admittance to a reporter that the judges at the Olympics had conflict of interests and yet did nothing to fix it before the situation exploded. He knew this going into the Olympics, did nothing. When everything exploded, he still did nothing. If the president of the ISU can not defend the integrity of the sport, what is he there for?

Banned
    you can do anything if you set your mind to it! be the change you want to see in the world WalkingJackson!

(no there is not. you can wait for him to die i guess..)

Custom Title
    As much as I'd love to see Ottavio Cinquanta booted off the ISU, the problem with getting rid of Cinquanta is the very real possibility that someone even worse--say, Dider Gailhaguet--will end up replacing him.

Custom Title
    I hope the general public don't read these threads. WE may be self destructing our sport. I am not sure what the answer is but we can't agree ourselves and we seem to be shooting our beloved sport in the foot. the new system still has not answered the problems and concerns of the 6.0 system. And ironically the lack of understanding of rules and systems is another problem under both 6.0 and COP. Like I have said look at the scoring system and you can see with GOE's and such how people with falls can win due to pcs and goe's ie great transition adds to both pcs and goe's. Andunder 6.0 artistry was the tie break so Sale and Pelletier cold win technically but lose to B and S and the gold. People don't want to have to spend a lot of time figuring out scoring systems. Skating could be gone like soap operas or the dodo bird and in a way we may be responsible.

According to the ISU constitution, Mr. Cinquanta was not eligible to continue in office past 2014. However, the ISU decided that they could not do without him in the years immediately following the Olympics because only he could negotiate television contracts, etc., for the next Olympic cycle, so they passed a special resolution to set the constitution aside and let him serve two more years. The new date for him to step down is 2016.

As evangeline mentions, it is widely accepted that his successor will be Didier Gailhaguet. Here is is with judge Marie Le Gougne, just before they were both suspended by the ISU for three years.

http://onlineathens.com/images/03080...ce_skating.jpg

there was an article that speedy will retire on 2016.. by the the time w/ pyeongchang olympics.. there's a possibility of didier will take over.. god help figure skating..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    As much as I'd love to see Ottavio Cinquanta booted off the ISU, the problem with getting rid of Cinquanta is the very real possibility that someone even worse--say, Dider Gailhaguet--will end up replacing him.
    As I said on the thread about the proposal to eliminate short programs, why is one man allowed to stay at the top of an organization for this many years? How many terms has he been President now?

It's ridiculous. It seems like he's been ISU President since I was in high school. And Dider Galihaguet has controlled French skating for too long. Same problem. Men like this take control and stay in charge for decade after decade. ENOUGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    why is one man allowed to stay at the top of an organization for this many years? How many terms has he been President now?
    Widespread corruption and incompetence. I don't care what he's supposedly done for the sport. It is simply impossible for one person to be in such a position of power for so long and to not abuse their power.
    One person in charge too long will eventually reach the stage where that person is no longer any benefit whatsoever and is an active element of destruction.

If the ISU doesn't realize that then it deserves its imminent collapse and my only question is how (and if) figure skating will be represented in the 2016 olympics. At this rate I don't see the ISU surviving (and generally think that's a very, very, very good thing.