Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Firing Ottavio Cinquanta

#TeamAUS
    Honestly, i think Ottavio Cinquanta should face an inquiry or should be severely penalised for his well organised destruction of this sport! Its almost criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    But it still raises another issue - even if someone is still technically allowed to be ISU President, why do people keep electing him? Isn't 20 years enough for one man to be atop this organization? Is he like a mafia boss where everyone was too scared to vote for an alternative?
    Yes, I think so. As far as I know he ran for re-election unopposed.

According to the ISU Constitution he was required to step down in 2014 because of age. But by a special vote of the Council the Constitution was set aside to allow him to serve two more years, until 2016, without an election being held.

Custom Title
    Anybody follows speed skating? I'm just wondering if he manages the speed skating side well. Maybe it's the speed skating faction within the ISU that keeps promoting him internally.

#TeamAUS
    Quote Originally Posted by caelum View Post
    Anybody follows speed skating? I'm just wondering if he manages the speed skating side well. Maybe it's the speed skating faction within the ISU that keeps promoting him internally.
    Im not sure if he does a better job with speed skating but its obvious that the isu has been trying to promote speed skating more than figure skating.

Bored
    Well, he proposed to axe about a half of the classical speed skating disciplines and focus on short track. It doesn't sound like a good management to me. In fact, I’m expecting him to be denied the Netherlands visa for life soon

Thus far, it looks like he’s good only at organizing his own reelection

The speed skating side took control in 1980 with the election of Norway's Olaf Poulson. Poulson was instrumental in finagling Cinquanta's election in 1994, when Poulson retired. I think there is an even balance between the figure skating side and the speed skating side in the ISU general assembly. I believe that back in 1980 the argument was reversed -- the speed skaters felt like they were pushed off into the corner by the figure skaters, so they thought it was only fair that people from the speed skating side should be able to attain positions of influence, too.

One thing that I don't blame Cinquanta for is using money generated by figure skating to cover expenses and offer modest cash prizes to winners of speed skating events. The ISU has the responsibility of fielding programs in skating sports even if they do not make money by doing so. Synchronized skating, for instance, is not a big money-maker, plus it is rather expensive to hold a championship event because the teams have so many skaters. The costs of synchro come out of general operating expenses which in the past were largely underwritten by television money for figure skating and by dues paid by member federations. THat seems OK to me.

Custom Title
    While I think Cinquanta is borderline-raving lunatic, this isn't the first time abolishing the short program has been brought up. I remember a few years ago Sasha Cohen and others were opining that it should be abolished.

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    While I think Cinquanta is borderline-raving lunatic, this isn't the first time abolishing the short program has been brought up. I remember a few years ago Sasha Cohen and others were opining that it should be abolished.
    Do you - or anybody - have a link? I confess I've been guilty of not paying much attention to what Sasha Cohen says

It would be interesting to read about it in the light of recent events though.

Tripping on the Podium
    i'm so happy my thread became so popular.

I wrote before the short program debacle of his and that has to be the final nail in the coffin. someone, please, fire him!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    A (reportedly) lazy and inconsistent skater suggested competitions should be reduced to a single crap shoot?

Custom Title
    My response to the title of this thread: Yes please. The sooner the better!

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    My response to the title of this thread: Yes please. The sooner the better!
    I've sometimes wondered if there was anything we ALL on GS could agree on - maybe this is "it"?

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    https://www.facebook.com/savetheshortprogram

Everyone should throw a "like" on this page. Every little bit helps, I suppose.

Rinkside
    Some of what he says on speed skating makes sense. It seems wrong to have the same distances competed over in both short and long track. I don't think the speed skating world is big enough to justify this.
    A 250 metre track makes sense as a relatively low cost compromise.
    The ISU could follow the lead of cross country skiing by having some events in one style and some in another e.g 500m as time trial, 1000m as heats/finals etc and long distance event as a mass start.
    The 250m track solves the problem of people starting/finishing in/out in the 500 as they could start on opposite sides of the track as in a pursuit.

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by sinless69uk View Post
    Some of what he says on speed skating makes sense. It seems wrong to have the same distances competed over in both short and long track. I don't think the speed skating world is big enough to justify this.
    A 250 metre track makes sense as a relatively low cost compromise.
    The ISU could follow the lead of cross country skiing by having some events in one style and some in another e.g 500m as time trial, 1000m as heats/finals etc and long distance event as a mass start.
    The 250m track solves the problem of people starting/finishing in/out in the 500 as they could start on opposite sides of the track as in a pursuit.
    I absolutely disagree.
    There is a significant difference in records of short and long track. Short track is about 5 seconds per 500 meters slower and that’s logical. The distance is too short to pick up speed for real. This may be fun to watch and it’s handy because it fits into a hockey rink but it absolutely doesn’t answer the question who skates the fastest. Making short track the priority would mean replacing sport by cheap entertainment and a competition replaced by a lottery. As simple as that!

The comparison with cross-country skiing is not relevant.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7