Firing Ottavio Cinquanta | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Firing Ottavio Cinquanta

Alba

Record Breaker
Yes, about the countries as along as they don't bring Gailhaguet and Cinquanta along with them. I was so pissed and typing so fast, I really was not putting my mind to the countries as much as I was to there being a separate Figure Skating Union. Thank you for the comment.

Yeah about Gailhaguet. If he is the strongest candidate can you imagine how deep and far these things goes?! I mean these people get votes.
It's like when we complain about Blatter and FIFA, but he is elected by our federations.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is what you get when a speed skater is in charge of figure skating. I guess he thinks he hasn't done enough to ruin the sport yet and has to try harder. Dick Button and others tried to form a World Figure Skating organization back in 2002 and failed. Many who joined them became ostracized from the sport, while the cheaters were let back in. Speedy needs to go and so does Didier. I would like to see the head of figure skating come from the US, Canada or Japan. New blood and a new culture are needed.

Alba

Record Breaker
Why is he encouraging anonymous judging when it's the one that started all these problems?

That's not true though. There were a lot of problems with the old system and you knew all the judges.

gmyers

Record Breaker
South Korean federation and allies are working very hard to get an investigation and that may lead to Yuna getting gold, banning of judges forever with infractions, banning of judges related to or are federation officials, banning of judges of similar national origin serving together from different countries, public scores so bias and collusion can be seen and those scores abolished etc.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
South Korean federation and allies are working very hard to get an investigation and that may lead to Yuna getting gold, banning of judges forever with infractions, banning of judges related to or are federation officials, banning of judges of similar national origin serving together from different countries, public scores so bias and collusion can be seen and those scores abolished etc.

Is this another April Fool's joke?

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
That's not true though. There were a lot of problems with the old system and you knew all the judges.

Of course there were problems w/ 6.0, but IMO the anonymity of the new system has made things much worse. Under 6.0, at least we could see which judge was giving what scores, right?

Alba

Record Breaker
Of course there were problems w/ 6.0, but IMO the anonymity of the new system has made things much worse. Under 6.0, at least we could see which judge was giving what scores, right?

I agree, but my point was it's not true that this is what "started all these problems".

gmyers

Record Breaker
Is this another April Fool's joke?

No it's obvious lots of people and South Korea have problems with Russians Judging events and former soviet countries sending apparently russian people to judge.

usethis2

Medalist
How is the ISU organized and why does everyone say Cinquanta's successor is already picked? I am ignorant about this organization so asking.

No it's obvious lots of people and South Korea have problems with fraudsters judging events and former convicts sending apparently their pets to judge.

Fixed for you.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist

I meant problems in Sochi scoring. I didn't mean the problems before because I have only been a fan more than a year ago. I was saying that anonymous judging hides people who tries to manipulate scores to give advantage to certain skaters. Now, people don't know who gave scores to whom. Tho I agree that anonymous judging is not the only cause of the problems now. But it is kind of an open door to cheaters and overly bias people. My phrasing might not have been correct. I apologize.

Ven

Match Penalty
The changes that Mr. Cinquanta are proposing all have the goal of saving money. Eliminating the short program, combining junior and senior worlds, elimination some speed skating races and building smaller tracks, etc. I think the real problem is that the ISU is broke.

I don't know much about short track and speed skating, but if figure skating makes up a large % of the ISU's income, then the ISU is going broke because people don't accept figure skating as a real sport anymore. The judging is viewed as crooked, the results are a sham, and people just don't care. The ISU is probably rotten throughout, indicted by the fact they show no interest to clean up the sport.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice

Perhaps Admin would be kind enough to give you your VERY own thread crying that SK is trying to garner gold for Yuna by means of their protest - that way you wouldn't have to jump on EVERY thread with your ludicrous claim!!!!! Get over it already!!!!!

Npmonice

Rinkside
I only thought one of his proposed ideas was good, combining the senior and junior worlds at the same time and venue.
It would appear the ISU is having money issues from his proposed suggestion, and suggestion is all it is just now. However I worry for both figure skating and speed skating, we as figure skaters would not be in this mess we currently are if this man did not make such radical changes to the judging system, we have lost a large percentage of viewers/money etc because of this IMO. I can see why he proposes these changes (to cut costs). If he were a smart man he would of noticed long before what was happening and he should of tried to do something earlier to solve the problem. I vote for no confidence in this man, he should be removed from the sport and under no circumstance should a person linked with corruption within the sport be voted/taken in as the new leader of the ISU (Didier G)

markmchen

Rinkside
A good leader at the top of a sports organization can make a huge difference. Look how much a difference David Stern made with the NBA. When he took over, the NBA was almost broke. Most teams lost money. Arenas were half empty. The NBA finals weren't even shown live on US TV. Tape-delayed to off prime hours. Fans questioned how legimitate the games/competition was. Sound familiar? Look at the NBA now.

One thing Stern realized early on is that a sports league is only as good as its superstars. Stern marketed the heck out of Magic/Bird and then of course Jordan.

cooper

Medalist
A good leader at the top of a sports organization can make a huge difference. Look how much a difference David Stern made with the NBA. When he took over, the NBA was almost broke. Most teams lost money. Arenas were half empty. The NBA finals were even't shown live on US TV. Tape-delayed to off prime hours. Fans questioned how legimitate the games/competition was. Sound familiar? Look at the NBA now.

One thing Stern realized early on is that a sports league is only as good as its superstars. Stern marketed the heck out of Magic/Bird and then of course Jordan.

but figure skating is no NBA..

figure skating for mainstream fans = not a sport..

markmchen

Rinkside
cooper, i agree. just trying to make the point that leadership makes a huge difference. there was a time that figure skating was extremely popular.

Alba

Record Breaker
But it is kind of an open door to cheaters and overly bias people.

I'm all for knowing the judges. However, I have no hope that this will close the door to cheaters and/or overly bias people.
Nevertheless, I say better do it.

Alba

Record Breaker
cooper, i agree. just trying to make the point that leadership makes a huge difference. there was a time that figure skating was extremely popular.

The popularity has nothing or little to do with the leadership tbh. After all he has been president of ISU since 1994.
In many countries Figure Skating is still very popular. In NA became popular thanks to Kerrigan&Harding drama. Plus a country can become more interested or less interested depending on how strong the movement is. When you have strong skaters the sport is more visible and popular.
For example in Italy the majority didn't even know about this sport before Barbara Fusar Poli and Maurizio started to won medals. It became even more known with Torino 2006, and later thanks to Carolina.
I immagine that Yuna Kim has contributed a lot for the figure skating in South Korea too. Both in terms of popularity and movement.
We might not see the results now for South Korea but maybe later yes. If they invest for their skaters of course.

This is interesting and related to the subject of popularity: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/winter/2003-03-24-skating-popularity_x.htm

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Seriously, the United States, Russia, Japan, China, Canada and Korea should form their own new FIGURE SKATING UNION. As irrational as that sounds, it is still more rational than what this guy is proposing. When I read that article, I had to re-check the date to make sure it was not April the 1st.

So what happens to us little countries, hmmm?