Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 105

Thread: Firing Ottavio Cinquanta

  1. #16
    Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    3,392
    Quote Originally Posted by phaeljones View Post
    Seriously, the United States, Russia, Japan, China, Canada and Korea should form their own new FIGURE SKATING UNION. As irrational as that sounds, it is still more rational than what this guy is proposing. When I read that article, I had to re-check the date to make sure it was not April the 1st.
    I agree, although I would add other European Federations in that list. I mean Korea is weak in figure skating.
    Cinquanta knows nothing about figure skating, but other people who has power should not let anyone to chop up this sport.
    It's time to separate Figure skating from speed skating.

  2. #17
    Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think the real problem is that the ISU is broke.
    Broke because...? Many businesses have cash flow issues. Some happen in spite of poor management; e.g., when decisions are made that looked smart at the time but turned out badly. Others have less legitimate causes. Has there ever been reason to question how the ISU's finances are handled?

    Sorry, this is the first thing that came to mind when you said they might be suffering from an excess of red ink.

  3. #18
    Yuna's Ice Rink cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,198
    http://s29.postimg.org/hodes0u7r/capture1.jpg

    yes.. kristi.. speedy is for real..

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    I agree, although I would add other European Federations in that list. I mean Korea is weak in figure skating.
    Cinquanta knows nothing about figure skating, but other people who has power should not let anyone to chop up this sport.
    It's time to separate Figure skating from speed skating.
    Yes, about the countries as along as they don't bring Gailhaguet and Cinquanta along with them. I was so pissed and typing so fast, I really was not putting my mind to the countries as much as I was to there being a separate Figure Skating Union. Thank you for the comment.

  5. #20
    quietly lurking jenm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    123
    I have not been a fan of figure skating for a long time but seeing these proposed changes, I think he's trying to kill the sport altogether instead of saving it.
    Why is he encouraging anonymous judging when it's the one that started all these problems?
    IMO, the scoring system is not the major problem but the people giving out scores without valid reasons.
    My bet is he's trying to divert people's attention from the current problem which is the highly questionable scoring in Sochi (Ladies) to this.

  6. #21
    Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    3,392
    Quote Originally Posted by phaeljones View Post
    Yes, about the countries as along as they don't bring Gailhaguet and Cinquanta along with them. I was so pissed and typing so fast, I really was not putting my mind to the countries as much as I was to there being a separate Figure Skating Union. Thank you for the comment.
    Yeah about Gailhaguet. If he is the strongest candidate can you imagine how deep and far these things goes?! I mean these people get votes.
    It's like when we complain about Blatter and FIFA, but he is elected by our federations.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,279
    This is what you get when a speed skater is in charge of figure skating. I guess he thinks he hasn't done enough to ruin the sport yet and has to try harder. Dick Button and others tried to form a World Figure Skating organization back in 2002 and failed. Many who joined them became ostracized from the sport, while the cheaters were let back in. Speedy needs to go and so does Didier. I would like to see the head of figure skating come from the US, Canada or Japan. New blood and a new culture are needed.

  8. #23
    Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    3,392
    Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Why is he encouraging anonymous judging when it's the one that started all these problems?

    That's not true though. There were a lot of problems with the old system and you knew all the judges.

  9. #24
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,707
    South Korean federation and allies are working very hard to get an investigation and that may lead to Yuna getting gold, banning of judges forever with infractions, banning of judges related to or are federation officials, banning of judges of similar national origin serving together from different countries, public scores so bias and collusion can be seen and those scores abolished etc.

  10. #25
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    South Korean federation and allies are working very hard to get an investigation and that may lead to Yuna getting gold, banning of judges forever with infractions, banning of judges related to or are federation officials, banning of judges of similar national origin serving together from different countries, public scores so bias and collusion can be seen and those scores abolished etc.
    Is this another April Fool's joke?

  11. #26
    Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    That's not true though. There were a lot of problems with the old system and you knew all the judges.
    Of course there were problems w/ 6.0, but IMO the anonymity of the new system has made things much worse. Under 6.0, at least we could see which judge was giving what scores, right?

  12. #27
    Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    3,392
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    Of course there were problems w/ 6.0, but IMO the anonymity of the new system has made things much worse. Under 6.0, at least we could see which judge was giving what scores, right?
    I agree, but my point was it's not true that this is what "started all these problems".

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Is this another April Fool's joke?
    No it's obvious lots of people and South Korea have problems with Russians Judging events and former soviet countries sending apparently russian people to judge.

  14. #29
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    941
    How is the ISU organized and why does everyone say Cinquanta's successor is already picked? I am ignorant about this organization so asking.

    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    No it's obvious lots of people and South Korea have problems with fraudsters judging events and former convicts sending apparently their pets to judge.
    Fixed for you.

  15. #30
    quietly lurking jenm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    That's not true though. There were a lot of problems with the old system and you knew all the judges.
    I meant problems in Sochi scoring. I didn't mean the problems before because I have only been a fan more than a year ago. I was saying that anonymous judging hides people who tries to manipulate scores to give advantage to certain skaters. Now, people don't know who gave scores to whom. Tho I agree that anonymous judging is not the only cause of the problems now. But it is kind of an open door to cheaters and overly bias people. My phrasing might not have been correct. I apologize.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •