Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Firing Ottavio Cinquanta

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    The changes that Mr. Cinquanta are proposing all have the goal of saving money. Eliminating the short program, combining junior and senior worlds, elimination some speed skating races and building smaller tracks, etc. I think the real problem is that the ISU is broke.
    I don't know much about short track and speed skating, but if figure skating makes up a large % of the ISU's income, then the ISU is going broke because people don't accept figure skating as a real sport anymore. The judging is viewed as crooked, the results are a sham, and people just don't care. The ISU is probably rotten throughout, indicted by the fact they show no interest to clean up the sport.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    South Korean federation and allies are working very hard to get an investigation and that may lead to Yuna getting gold, banning of judges forever with infractions, banning of judges related to or are federation officials, banning of judges of similar national origin serving together from different countries, public scores so bias and collusion can be seen and those scores abolished etc.
    Perhaps Admin would be kind enough to give you your VERY own thread crying that SK is trying to garner gold for Yuna by means of their protest - that way you wouldn't have to jump on EVERY thread with your ludicrous claim!!!!! Get over it already!!!!!

Medalist
    I only thought one of his proposed ideas was good, combining the senior and junior worlds at the same time and venue.
    It would appear the ISU is having money issues from his proposed suggestion, and suggestion is all it is just now. However I worry for both figure skating and speed skating, we as figure skaters would not be in this mess we currently are if this man did not make such radical changes to the judging system, we have lost a large percentage of viewers/money etc because of this IMO. I can see why he proposes these changes (to cut costs). If he were a smart man he would of noticed long before what was happening and he should of tried to do something earlier to solve the problem. I vote for no confidence in this man, he should be removed from the sport and under no circumstance should a person linked with corruption within the sport be voted/taken in as the new leader of the ISU (Didier G)

Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    Broke because...?
    Broke because no one wants to buy their product.

On the Ice
    A good leader at the top of a sports organization can make a huge difference. Look how much a difference David Stern made with the NBA. When he took over, the NBA was almost broke. Most teams lost money. Arenas were half empty. The NBA finals weren't even shown live on US TV. Tape-delayed to off prime hours. Fans questioned how legimitate the games/competition was. Sound familiar? Look at the NBA now.

One thing Stern realized early on is that a sports league is only as good as its superstars. Stern marketed the heck out of Magic/Bird and then of course Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by markmchen View Post
    A good leader at the top of a sports organization can make a huge difference. Look how much a difference David Stern made with the NBA. When he took over, the NBA was almost broke. Most teams lost money. Arenas were half empty. The NBA finals were even't shown live on US TV. Tape-delayed to off prime hours. Fans questioned how legimitate the games/competition was. Sound familiar? Look at the NBA now.

One thing Stern realized early on is that a sports league is only as good as its superstars. Stern marketed the heck out of Magic/Bird and then of course Jordan.
    but figure skating is no NBA..

figure skating for mainstream fans = not a sport..

On the Ice
    cooper, i agree. just trying to make the point that leadership makes a huge difference. there was a time that figure skating was extremely popular.

Yulia forver! I'm on team dumped Ice Dance. Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    But it is kind of an open door to cheaters and overly bias people.
    I'm all for knowing the judges. However, I have no hope that this will close the door to cheaters and/or overly bias people.
    Nevertheless, I say better do it.

Yulia forver! I'm on team dumped Ice Dance. Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markmchen View Post
    cooper, i agree. just trying to make the point that leadership makes a huge difference. there was a time that figure skating was extremely popular.
    The popularity has nothing or little to do with the leadership tbh. After all he has been president of ISU since 1994.
    In many countries Figure Skating is still very popular. In NA became popular thanks to Kerrigan&Harding drama. Plus a country can become more interested or less interested depending on how strong the movement is. When you have strong skaters the sport is more visible and popular.
    For example in Italy the majority didn't even know about this sport before Barbara Fusar Poli and Maurizio started to won medals. It became even more known with Torino 2006, and later thanks to Carolina.
    I immagine that Yuna Kim has contributed a lot for the figure skating in South Korea too. Both in terms of popularity and movement.
    We might not see the results now for South Korea but maybe later yes. If they invest for their skaters of course.

This is interesting and related to the subject of popularity: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...pularity_x.htm

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by phaeljones View Post
    Seriously, the United States, Russia, Japan, China, Canada and Korea should form their own new FIGURE SKATING UNION. As irrational as that sounds, it is still more rational than what this guy is proposing. When I read that article, I had to re-check the date to make sure it was not April the 1st.
    So what happens to us little countries, hmmm?

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    The same as before

We want Speedy out for good, and Didier sounds like he'll be another corrupt disaster for the sport. Is there anyone of integrity who has a chance to do some good for fs?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna K. View Post
    The same as before
    Oh yes, you clearly have the best interests of the sport at heart.

You will get rid of Australia over my dead body.

Bored
    Oh yes, you clearly have the best interests of the sport at heart.

You will get rid of Australia over my dead body.

Australia a small country?

Custom Title
    Karne, you are correct in pointing out that the choice of countries is sparse and wrong. However, the main point of the post is that the federation should be separate. As well, if countries cannot adhere to honest practices, they should get the boot. Certainly, European countries should be included, and small countries allowed to join. But make the federation separate, and make the judging open and transparent. Put protocols in place that really prevent corruption and toxic pr for the sport. Put people in charge who understand the sport.

I know from your posts that you are happy with what happened in Russia at the Olympics. You defend it. However, there are those of us who want radical change. I am one of them. The sport has been killed by corruption and people are staying away. You want proof? Look at the numbers of people who are staying away from the sport. Only the diehards are sticking with the sport and there are not enough of us. As well, these proposals are obviously cost-saving measures. Even the suitcase money can't keep it afloat. The sport has to become honest. The house has to be cleaned, not just with a new leadership but a new organization. And under the new system, whatever happens to the smaller countries, it cannot be as bad as what is happening under the current system, which has basically killed itself and taken the whole sport down with it. This has to be the lowest the sport has ever been. Thank you, Mr. Cinquanta. Quite a legacy.

Old boy European leadership in skating has failed the rest of the world. Time to give them the boot and replace it with a meritocracy. Any country can sign on, European, North American, Asian, Russian, even Australian, as long as it wants to play honest. That was my proposal. I know it won't happen. It takes too much effort and energy. But what is happening now could completely kill the sport altogether for decades. We are at the point of bare survival.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast