Firing Ottavio Cinquanta | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Firing Ottavio Cinquanta

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We want Speedy out for good, and Didier sounds like he'll be another corrupt disaster for the sport. Is there anyone of integrity who has a chance to do some good for fs?

phaeljones

On the Ice
So what happens to us little countries, hmmm?

Karne, you are correct in pointing out that the choice of countries is sparse and wrong. However, the main point of the post is that the federation should be separate. As well, if countries cannot adhere to honest practices, they should get the boot. Certainly, European countries should be included, and small countries allowed to join. But make the federation separate, and make the judging open and transparent. Put protocols in place that really prevent corruption and toxic pr for the sport. Put people in charge who understand the sport.

I know from your posts that you are happy with what happened in Russia at the Olympics. You defend it. However, there are those of us who want radical change. I am one of them. The sport has been killed by corruption and people are staying away. You want proof? Look at the numbers of people who are staying away from the sport. Only the diehards are sticking with the sport and there are not enough of us. As well, these proposals are obviously cost-saving measures. Even the suitcase money can't keep it afloat. The sport has to become honest. The house has to be cleaned, not just with a new leadership but a new organization. And under the new system, whatever happens to the smaller countries, it cannot be as bad as what is happening under the current system, which has basically killed itself and taken the whole sport down with it. This has to be the lowest the sport has ever been. Thank you, Mr. Cinquanta. Quite a legacy.

Old boy European leadership in skating has failed the rest of the world. Time to give them the boot and replace it with a meritocracy. Any country can sign on, European, North American, Asian, Russian, even Australian, as long as it wants to play honest. That was my proposal. I know it won't happen. It takes too much effort and energy. But what is happening now could completely kill the sport altogether for decades. We are at the point of bare survival.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Australia a small country? :rofl:

In the skating world, yes, we are. Small and delightful.

And under the new system, whatever happens to the smaller countries, it cannot be as bad as what is happening under the current system, which has basically killed itself and taken the whole sport down with it.

Considering there are people who have been lobbying for years to "get rid of" the little countries so that they can send five Japanese men to Worlds, I have a hard time believing that.

Though I must admit it would be nice if our skaters got the PCS they deserved for once, rather than the "little country" PCS.

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia
In the skating world, yes, we are. Small and delightful.

Considering there are people who have been lobbying for years to "get rid of" the little countries so that they can send five Japanese men to Worlds, I have a hard time believing that.

Though I must admit it would be nice if our skaters got the PCS they deserved for once, rather than the "little country" PCS.

Uhm, and how can justifying fixes like in Sochi help a small and delightful country? Is Australia up to hosting Winter Olympics yet?

I somehow missed five Japanese men at Worlds but I have to give you the credit for adding "little country PCS" to skating terminology :yes:

KKonas

Medalist
All this doom and gloom. Cinquanta will be gone soon enough. He is an accountant so he does want to save $$$ since the ISU is not bringing in the mega bucks it did in the 80s-90s, but they still have a considerable war chest invested wisely in Swiss banks and are not going broke.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No it's obvious lots of people and South Korea have problems with Russians Judging events and former soviet countries sending apparently russian people to judge.

Do you really think that someone who wants to keep anonymous judging would ever even investigate, let alone admit, scoring irregularities? The idea that an investigation could lead to a gold medal for Kim is either a joke or a pipe dream.

ks777

Record Breaker
Seriously, the United States, Russia, Japan, China, Canada and Korea should form their own new FIGURE SKATING UNION. As irrational as that sounds, it is still more rational than what this guy is proposing. When I read that article, I had to re-check the date to make sure it was not April the 1st.
Maybe we can do without russia right now.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe we can do without russia right now.

It would be nice if you would include Japan in your outcast group and they can form their own union. Japanese Russian Skating Union. :popcorn:

ks777

Record Breaker
It would be nice if you would include Japan in your outcast group and they can form their own union. Japanese Russian Skating Union. :popcorn:
? why wouild I exclude Japan? The only reason I excluded Russia was because they are taking over a part of another country rigtht now.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
? why wouild I exclude Japan? The only reason I excluded Russia was because they are taking over a part of another country rigtht now.

I was merely trying to illustrate the implications of just whacking large pools of talent from the sport. I used Japan because of the immense talent there being similar to that of Russia. Plus I like the Japenese people and their skaters. In that sense I was purely being selfish. Especially if Mao keeps skating. :love:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What about adding China as well. They all in the same geographic location.

No. China and Korea have already formed their own Chinese Korean Skating Circuit under my post ISU scenario. Once every four years (halfway thru the Olympic cycle) the JRSU and CKSC face off in Australia with an all Russian panel taking judging honors.

BusyMom

Medalist
No. China and Korea have already formed their own Chinese Korean Skating Circuit under my post ISU scenario. Once every four years (halfway thru the Olympic cycle) the JRSU and CKSC face off in Australia with an all Russian panel taking judging honors.
ok. I missed that scenario. You have a vivid imagination though. :thumbsup:

There used to be a North American Championship between Canada and the United States. It was discontinued in the 1970s because neither side could trust the other to provide fair judging.