Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Firing Ottavio Cinquanta

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    "How Do You Solve A Problem Like Cinquanta?"

http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2014/...cinquanta.html

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Because obviously the WORLD championships should be based on the USA's sporting seasons.
    Now without looking at the financials I can't be certain of this, but I would bet that the US television contracts provided the largest single revenue stream for the ISU. So yes, under previous circumstances it is simply good business sense to accommodate your largest customer's needs. You won't keep them as a customer for long if you don't.

I think a look at the financials would probably be a shock to the system. I wonder how much of that FS TV money was diverted into 1. speed skating and 2. individual ISU pockets. And replacing one fox with another in charge of the hen house is simply a recipe for (bad) business as usual.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Because obviously the WORLD championships should be based on the USA's sporting seasons.
    It wouldn't be a bad idea, given the large potential market.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Now without looking at the financials I can't be certain of this, but I would bet that the US television contracts provided the largest single revenue stream for the ISU. So yes, under previous circumstances it is simply good business sense to accommodate your largest customer's needs. You won't keep them as a customer for long if you don't.

I think a look at the financials would probably be a shock to the system. I wonder how much of that FS TV money was diverted into 1. speed skating and 2. individual ISU pockets. And replacing one fox with another in charge of the hen house is simply a recipe for (bad) business as usual.
    The US TV market probably provided a sizeable revenue stream for the ISU in the past (especially in the '90s after Nancy/Tonya ) but I wonder whether that's still true. These days, chances are that there's more coming in from Japan.

Re: fox/hen house, it's kind of like trusting Bernie Madoff to police himself... Anyone interested in checking out wire transfers to the Caymans?

Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Now without looking at the financials I can't be certain of this, but I would bet that the US television contracts provided the largest single revenue stream for the ISU.
    This used to be the case, but I don't think it is any more. In the late 1990s the ISU's contract with United States ABC television was something like $20,000,000. Now it is next to nothing. At the 2009 World Champoionship in Los Angeles, IIRC, the ISU essentially had to give the US television rights away for free because there was so little interest, even though the event was in the United States and was the pre-Olympic Worlds.

The USFSA is in the same boat. Back in the day they received so much money from ABC television that they were able to pay Michelle Kwan upwards of $900,000 per year. (The details are on public record, if anyone wants to dig them out, because the USFSA is a non-profit corporation for tax purposes.) For this, Michelle was expected to show up for all the ABC shows -- Skate America, U.S. Nationals, and the three annual cheesefests.

Now, I believe that their contract with NBC does not pay anything in cash, but rather USFS must round up sponsors and the Association gets to keep some of the money -- something like that.
    Last edited by Mathman; 04-01-2014 at 11:40 AM.

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet?:

http://fskating.com/2014/04/skating-...eadership.html

Cinquanta seems to have stirred up quite the hornet's nest... Good. Serves him right, if so.

Custom Title
    Hopefully Cinquanta will finally face enough pressure to go.

And as I suggested at the beginning of this thread, I think ISU Presidents need TERM LIMITS!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    Hopefully Cinquanta will finally face enough pressure to go.

And as I suggested at the beginning of this thread, I think ISU Presidents need TERM LIMITS!
    The ISU does have term limits. I think the new rule is no more than three terms for the top officials. This does not apply to Cinquanta because he was grandfathered in before the new term limits took affect. (He has served five four-year terms and has an extra two-yesar term to go.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    The ISU does have term limits. I think the new rule is no more than three terms for the top officials. This does not apply to Cinquanta because he was grandfathered in before the new term limits took affect. (He has served five four-year terms and has an extra two-yesar term to go.)
    Depressing.

Custom Title
    This used to be the case, but I don't think it is any more. In the late 1990s the ISU's contract with United States ABC television was something like $20,000,000. Now it is next to nothing. At the 2009 World Champoionship in Los Angeles, IIRC, the ISU essentially had to give the US television rights away for free because there was so little interest, even though the event was in the United States and was the pre-Olympic Worlds.

The USFSA is in the same boat. Back in the day they received so much money from ABC television that they were able to pay Michelle Kwan upwards of $900,000 per year. (The details are on public record, if anyone wants to dig them out, because the USFSA is a non-profit corporation for tax purposes.) For this, Michelle was expected to show up for all the ABC shows -- Skate America, U.S. Nationals, and the three annual cheesefests.

Now, I believe that their contract with NBC does not pay anything in cash, but rather USFS must round up sponsors and the Association gets to keep some of the money -- something like that.
    I figured it would be something like that. How long before they start eliminating significant prize money for the winners and perhaps give impetus for a pro circuit again?

Bored
    ^
    Looks like Patrick Chan didn’t exaggerate with a message that he needed a dollar…

Custom Title
    Speedy needs to conveniently disappear for a while.

Custom Title
    I see. Well obviously he shouldn't have been grandfathered in. But it still raises another issue - even if someone is still technically allowed to be ISU President, why do people keep electing him? Isn't 20 years enough for one man to be atop this organization? Is he like a mafia boss where everyone was too scared to vote for an alternative?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast