Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Shocking news - proposal to eliminate short programs

Custom Title

Custom Title
    Well it's not final or anything close to final

Keeping judging anonymous

in all seriousness.. ISU is not making any profits?? like mathman said it looks like they're broke..

Custom Title
    Wow. Here's a shocking suggestion: let's clean up the sport from the top down

- become a professional organization run by respected figure skating experts elected by all the federations
    - remove conflicts of interest from decision making - policy level and at a judging level
    - recruit and hire competent judges who are not nominated or chosen in any way by their federations
    - remove anonymous judging
    - make judging decisions of international events fully transparent and accountable
    - improve communication along with that transparency

If the sport can become clean from the top down, and be more transparent and accountable, and prove that good decisions/results can be made at international competitions that have nothing to do with "taking one's turn", life-time achievement awards, who's been there the longest, which music you liked best, which country one comes from, who the coach is, etc., and everything to do with how the skaters skate on the day of competition, perhaps some credibility will come to the sport. And with credibility, perhaps some money will come too.

Tripping on the Podium slutskayafann's Avatar
    I enjoy the short program more. Why

Banned
    Looks like Cinquanta created this pot stirrer as smoke and mirrors to push aside the judging controversy discussion at Worlds.

Banned
    all of these ideas are so dumb

if they keep trying to cost cut like this, they'll be having the skaters compete via ozmosis from their hotel rooms

Hate fake smiles and horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Don't eliminate short program please! I am crying!

I was hoping this was April Fool's Day!

The short program is half the fun.. now we only get to watch one instead of two. This is a horrible idea! lol. I guess that means the short dances go too.

I am shocked...this man is delusional...I am extremely respectful of the elderly, but at 75 years old couldn't he step down already?

Banned
    his logic seems poor. track and field basically works on the exact same principal of 'long' and 'short' events. You have the 100 meter dash all the way up to 2 mile runs. They are different disciplines/require different training.

OMG!!! All his suggestions seem to come from someone who's done with skating in all its forms and just want to cut expenses no matter what (his suggestions in speed skating are simply outrageous).

When it comes to figure skating, I absolutely agree on simplifying the scoring system but eliminating the short program basically eliminates as well half the emotion there is on a competition as we all now nowadays is absolutely makeable to come back from a poor short program and get a medal.

As for the anonymous judging, I think it has hurt skating competitions credibility much more than anything else ever before.

Custom Title
    What even.

I'm just gonna ignore this and hope it goes away.

Hate fake smiles and horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    I hope members of the ISU’s governing council will protest so speedy won't have his plans executed as he wants.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast