Thread: Shocking news - proposal to eliminate short programs

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Custom Title
    Well it's not final or anything close to final

Keeping judging anonymous

in all seriousness.. ISU is not making any profits?? like mathman said it looks like they're broke..

Custom Title
    Wow. Here's a shocking suggestion: let's clean up the sport from the top down

- become a professional organization run by respected figure skating experts elected by all the federations
    - remove conflicts of interest from decision making - policy level and at a judging level
    - recruit and hire competent judges who are not nominated or chosen in any way by their federations
    - remove anonymous judging
    - make judging decisions of international events fully transparent and accountable
    - improve communication along with that transparency

If the sport can become clean from the top down, and be more transparent and accountable, and prove that good decisions/results can be made at international competitions that have nothing to do with "taking one's turn", life-time achievement awards, who's been there the longest, which music you liked best, which country one comes from, who the coach is, etc., and everything to do with how the skaters skate on the day of competition, perhaps some credibility will come to the sport. And with credibility, perhaps some money will come too.

Tripping on the Podium slutskayafann's Avatar
    I enjoy the short program more. Why

Banned
    Looks like Cinquanta created this pot stirrer as smoke and mirrors to push aside the judging controversy discussion at Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    Wow. Here's a shocking suggestion: let's clean up the sport from the top down

- become a professional organization run by respected figure skating experts elected by all the federations
    - remove conflicts of interest from decision making - policy level and at a judging level
    - recruit and hire competent judges who are not nominated or chosen in any way by their federations
    - remove anonymous judging
    - make judging decisions of international events fully transparent and accountable
    - improve communication along with that transparency

If the sport can become clean from the top down, and be more transparent and accountable, and prove that good decisions/results can be made at international competitions that have nothing to do with "taking one's turn", life-time achievement awards, who's been there the longest, which music you liked best, which country one comes from, who the coach is, etc., and everything to do with how the skaters skate on the day of competition, perhaps some credibility will come to the sport. And with credibility, perhaps some money will come too.
    Makes sense to me! Speedy is an idiot. He's got to go!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinquanta
    The abolishment of the Short Program. Reason: if almost no other sports are based on two segments there must be a reason.
    This makes no sense to me. "no other sports are based on two segments"? Seriously?

I'd say that can only be true, if you grossly simplify how many sports are played out. Because I would draw parallels with tennis matches being decided by multiple games, and multiple sets... F1 grand prix qualification and grid placement, followed by the "proper" race... time-trial days, mountain stages and "regular" race days in Tour de France... soccer matches divided into two halves... biathlon, triathlon, etc etc having radically different stages and requirements... diving... gymnastics... multiple runs/attempts in bobsleigh, ski jump, half-pipe etc etc.... the list is endless.

There are some good arguments for having only a FS, but I do not regard "no other sports are based on two segments" as one of them. O_o

Personally, I like that there is SP and FS, and I'd be very sad to see it go. It requires skaters to have a certain amount of consistency and endurance in order to win. One unusually good performance may not be enough for victory... and one sub-par performance by a skater may not be enough to defeat them.

I might even be less inclined to go to competitions in person, since they would only be "half" the events/spectacles that they are now. And I imagine galas would be dropped too, since "what other sport has that?" -_-