Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Thread: Shocking news - proposal to eliminate short programs

Custom Title
    I always liked this format (that I made up)
    1. Jumping bee. Every skater has a chance to do each jump, with the option of a bonus jump (like a triple axel or a quad salchow, something that is not done by everyone). No music, just jumping.

2. Old-time program. No triples, just doubles, hanging axels, charlottes and all the things you never see any more that are really cool. It will only be graded in terms of performance and gracefulness, etc.

3. Regular free skate.

I might also bring back the old school figures, in a separate category. You hear all the time about how they were so unfair and did in Brian Orser, etc. But some people must have been good at them. They should do the figure 8's or whatever, and do a beautiful design that they could freeze and put on display for all the fans to see. Don't know where they'd get an extra rink, though, LOL!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodlepal View Post
    1. Jumping bee. Every skater has a chance to do each jump, with the option of a bonus jump (like a triple axel or a quad salchow, something that is not done by everyone). No music, just jumping.

2. Old-time program. No triples, just doubles, hanging axels, charlottes and all the things you never see any more that are really cool. It will only be graded in terms of performance and gracefulness, etc.

3. Regular free skate.

I might also bring back the old school figures, in a separate category. You hear all the time about how they were so unfair and did in Brian Orser, etc. But some people must have been good at them. They should do the figure 8's or whatever, and do a beautiful design that they could freeze and put on display for all the fans to see. Don't know where they'd get an extra rink, though, LOL!
    If you want to work figures back in they could go in your section 2 (which will also incorporate, spins, spirals, footwork, turns, etc.)

so.. in short speedy is trying to bribe the korean team in order for them to shut up..

Oh also towards the end of the letter: "Now, we are looking at the 2018 OWG of PyeongChang, Korea. If the ISU intends to include Mass Start for Speed Skating, the opinion of the Korean organizers is of course very important. In fact, we have to bear in mind that KSU (the ISU Member in Korea) would like to be entitled to enter one Pair (FS) and one Couple (ID) as organizing country, therefore the ISU is in front of a political decision. ISU might need the Korean support for Speed Skating (Mass Start) but at the same time Korea would need a help from the ISU for Pair and Couple. But there is another problem, I checked and I found that the ISU with the Rule 284.3 B) and 3 c) is granting for Short Track that the NOC of the Country organizing the OWG has the right to enter skaters and also Speed Skating Rule 209, 2 c, ii) grants the same right to skaters for the Pursuit Events."
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...130,full.story

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodlepal View Post

3. Regular free skate.

There's a certain appeal to your format! I'm not sure I'd bring back school figures, though--or if I did, I wouldn't give it as much weight in the final score as it used to have.

On the Ice
    I'd like to see the team event at the Olympics made into a fun jump-off, kinda like the NBA dunk contest...moved after the individual events of course.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fairly4 View Post
    they should pay the judges through the sponsors. have sponsors pay the judge plane fare, & hotel rooms and maybe a meal or two.

that way the sponsors could go directly to the judges and the judges anomyously could tell them why/why not. and the sponsors through their product could tell the public more about the sport.

cheating/unfair, political . he is right about top down, but it effects all the competitions level b's, junior, seniors,
    quid pro quo goes from one to the other.

it is harder to spot, but people notice it
    HA! And you think sponsors with skater spokespeople would have, like, zero influence on who wins?

Rinkside
    Could they not keep the short programme but use it as a qualifying event for the free programme? After all, most sports have a qualifying round.

The top 8 pairs, 10 dance couples and 12 individual skaters could the go into the free programme with the scores from the short erased.

Throughout figure skating history too much has been decided before we get to the free skate, with skaters left with large deficits they cannot make up.

Imagine the top 12 skaters going into the free with no points carried over - best on the night wins. Skating needs to consider ideas like this instead of being suck in the dark ages.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14