Shocking news - proposal to eliminate short programs | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Shocking news - proposal to eliminate short programs

Mafke

Medalist
This is what it looks like when a sport is dying.

Radical random changes are proposed that don't address the real problem.

The public lost confidence in 2002 and the ISU has simply not done enough to regain the public's longterm confidence.

louisa05

Final Flight
The numbers can lie if someone arranges them foolishly!

Do basketball fans get confused after the first half of the game. I mean aren't they"just doing the same thing twice"? Is it less exciting and clear of a game. Well of course it is to me because basketball is just plain terrible IMO.

In football, they do the same thing four times. I truly think other sports should follow $peedy's lead. Why should baseball have enough innings for the same player to bat twice? He already batted. Two innings is probably about right. But if either team gets back to the top of the batting order, they can call it a game and go home. And it will save time for the fans. I am old and don't consider a nine inning game a waste of my time, but I'd hate for the younger folks to buy a ticket for a game and have their time wasted. College football could just use what is now their overtime--each team gets the ball on the 25 yard line and four downs. Once each. If it is a tie, get some judges there to give style points and determine the winner. Preferably anonymous judges who are related to the athletic admins of one or more universities.

I think with a little determination and a lot of input from Cinquanta, we can revolutionize the entire sporting world.

Herald

Spectator
This actually sounds very interesting me:rolleye::rolleye:
Only one program to work on for whole year = more completeness to their program
Perhaps we will have a bunch of master pieces all of a sudden?:laugh:

tulosai

Record Breaker
In football, they do the same thing four times. I truly think other sports should follow $peedy's lead. Why should baseball have enough innings for the same player to bat twice? He already batted. Two innings is probably about right. But if either team gets back to the top of the batting order, they can call it a game and go home. And it will save time for the fans. I am old and don't consider a nine inning game a waste of my time, but I'd hate for the younger folks to buy a ticket for a game and have their time wasted. College football could just use what is now their overtime--each team gets the ball on the 25 yard line and four downs. Once each. If it is a tie, get some judges there to give style points and determine the winner. Preferably anonymous judges who are related to the athletic admins of one or more universities.

I think with a little determination and a lot of input from Cinquanta, we can revolutionize the entire sporting world.

:laugh::thumbsup::points::points::points:

NMURA

Medalist
Do basketball fans get confused after the first half of the game. I mean aren't they"just doing the same thing twice"? Is it less exciting and clear of a game. Well of course it is to me because basketball is just plain terrible IMO.

A game of basketball wont take more than two hours. In figure skating, it often takes 4 hours to finish just a hlf of the game. Ordinary people can be alienated just because of this fact.

louisa05

Final Flight
A game of basketball wont take more than two hours. In figure skating, it often takes 4 hours to finish just a hlf of the game. Ordinary people can be alienated just because of this fact.

So you've never heard of American football or baseball? The U.S. pretty much comes to a stand still for the Super Bowl which takes over four hours. No one is alienated by the length. (Well...maybe a bit when it is a blow out, but that isn't because of the length). Watching the World Series is a week long commitment and games are three or more hours long and it gets better ratings than skating. This is not really an issue.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If this all does come to pass, how will it look finally come Korea 2018? Curious, don't you think? The woman who often and habitually won many a competition in the short program is Korean. I know it is a stretch to connect one with the other but the recent protests by the future hosting nation probably isn't making the top officials very happy. Perhaps this a subtle message and warning to them.

1. Why would they care. Kim is retired anyway and they have nobody else relevant for a long time anyway.

2. Dumb logic anyway, considering had there been no short program Kim would actually have more world and olympic titles. She won the LP 5 times in World and Olympic competition, but won the title only 3 of those times.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I thought'ordinary people' like the Russian crowd was something to be mocked and ostracized! I just can't keep up .

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1. Why would they care. Kim is retired anyway and they have nobody else relevant for a long time anyway.

2. Dumb logic anyway, considering had there been no short program Kim would actually have more world and olympic titles. She won the LP 5 times in World and Olympic competition, but won the title only 3 of those times.

:clap:

louisa05

Final Flight
I thought'ordinary people' like the Russian crowd was something to be mocked ostracized! I just can't keep up .

Neither can I.

Just wondering if NMURA has a serious case of ADD and assumes we all do? People invest their time in all sorts of leisure activities that take more than 20 minutes at a time including watching sporting events. I have frequently attended the College World Series where many fans buy seats for the duration and attend two games a day for a solid week. That is much more than the time it takes for 24 short programs at Worlds or Nationals. And if it is all about helping the fans out by making it shorter, we'd best eliminate the long program instead.

BusyMom

Medalist
Baseball fan cannot miss part of the game because they might miss the homerun. Just like Football, the important score can happen any minutes of the game. In figure skate, the first few group has no factor to the results. New fan usually to watch the last two groups anyway.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Trolling may also take several hours, even the whole day long... I mean trolling on a boat! :rolleye:

NMURA

Medalist
Baseball fan cannot miss part of the game because they might miss the homerun. Just like Football, the important score can happen any minutes of the game. In figure skate, the first few group has no factor to the results. New fan usually to watch the last two groups anyway.

They can ignored minor skaters but need two days to finish ONE game. I guess the old fans object the idea just because they are too conservative to accept changes. They need new ways of thinking and initiatives to attract new fans. Old-timers won't leave the sport anyway. They are non factors for the ISU leadership.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They can ignored minor skaters but need two days to finish ONE game. I guess the old fans object the idea just because they are too conservative to accept changes.

I'd rather see a third purely artistic skate with zero jumps!

louisa05

Final Flight
They can ignored minor skaters but need two days to finish ONE game. I guess the old fans object the idea just because they are too conservative to accept changes. They need new ways of thinking and initiatives to attract new fans. Old-timers won't leave the sport anyway. They are non factors for the ISU leadership.

And team sports like hockey, football, baseball and basketball need whole seasons to determine who plays for their championships. Fans manage to pay attention. Even a lot of casual ones. Additionally, baseball, basketball and hockey do not have one game determine their champions but have a series of games so that the championships are week long events (five days at its shortest for baseball--I don't know the travel days/scheduling patterns for the other two so can't say). College basketball has nearly a month long tournament to determine its championship and I know plenty of people who watch as much as they can. Or what about tennis--again, a week long tournament or more to determine a champion at any given event with multiple matches and people watch. Fans are not walking away from skating for lack of an attention span. Sports fans in general do not lack that. You are arguing to fix a problem that is not the problem. As is Cinquanta.