Shocking news - proposal to eliminate short programs | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Shocking news - proposal to eliminate short programs

markmchen

Rinkside
i was thinking the same thing. actually, i always wondered why figure skating has so few events versus other winter sports. for example, speed skating has 16 individual events (8 mens/ 8 womens) and 4 team events (2 mens / 2 womens). snowboarding has 10 individual events (5 mens/ 5 womens). figure skating only has 2 individual events (1 mens/ 1 womens), 2 pairs events (pairs/dance), and 1 team.

Wouldn't these events be fascinating?

1. Improv skate off! Skaters are given the music and theme a few hours before competition. Perhaps different music along same theme per skater so we don't have to watch same piece again and again? Each skater has to quickly prepare a skate to try to interpret the music. perhaps limited/no jumps required. the skaters with best basic skating skills, musicality and interpretative skills would shine. Every competition would be different. could be fun to see skaters trying to do music outside their comfort zone. I could see Kostner, Chan and Abbott doing well here. Older skaters could still compete longer too when athleticism starts to fade.

2. Jump off! Head to head. Seeding just like March Madness bracket. Run in groups of 4 skaters (just like short track speed skating). Only top finisher in group of 4 moves on. Skaters match each other on every jump type, eg 4 skaters do their best axel. then their best toe jump. You do this for all 6 jump categories. if there is a tie, you go to sudden death jump off. first to fall loses. This would be the event testing jumping technique, mental fortitude and consistency. Ito would have dominated this. Mao would have huge advantage with the only 3 axel. but she would need to be more consistent with her other jumps.

3. Plus, of course normal short program / long program competition. Perhaps make them seperate medal events.

Anyway, just a crazy idea.

Panpie

On the Ice
. . . Hanyu, Julia, Sotnikova and Michael Martinez are the tools to bring in the new viewers. Plus the new rule about vocal music might work after all.

I know it may be difficult to coordinate, particularly since the athletes are from so many countries, but I don't understand why the ISU doesn't do more to market its young, attractive athletes, Hanyu and Julia, in particular, seem to be especially marketable and appealing to all ages. They're all over social media. Teenage girls and no-so-teenage women have crushes on Hanyu. Julia received a letter from Stephen Speilberg. Both of them have youth, looks, and that "it" factor. I think the ISU should find ways to tap into the charisma of its athletes instead of getting rid of the short program. The ATP quickly realized it had gold in the Rafa and Roger rivalry. Those two made many appearances together over the years to promote the sport. Maybe the ISU could do some similar things.

My mom's 80 years old and barely follows skating anymore, but she loved Davis & White, Virtue & Moir, and Hanyu when we watched the Olympics. If she knew anything about LiveJournal or Tumblr, she'd probably ship Charlie and Meryl.

concorde

Medalist
Personally I think the "long program" is too long for TV audiences.

A better format would be 2 short programs - one technical and one artistic - where both programs receive equal weight. To win, a skater would have to exhibit both sets of skills.

markmchen

Rinkside
concorde, adding to your thought. perhaps can award winner for technical short, winner for artistic short and all-around winner for combined (kind of like gymnastics)

Amei

Record Breaker
A better format would be 2 short programs - one technical and one artistic - where both programs receive equal weight. To win, a skater would have to exhibit both sets of skills.

Except one of the biggest complaints is the subjectivity of figure skating and that comes mainly in the artistic portion. It wouldn't do anything to help the sport's popularity to highlight an entire program to something that is 100% subjective, and frankly I would hate to see the technical program because the programs would have zero choreography to it.

concorde

Medalist
The three short program format (technical, artistic, combination) may be a good option.

Personally I like to see the jumpers - they may not be artistic but WOW!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Is it possible that Cinquanta has legit gone crazy? I mean, seriously.

Nah, that's way too good to be true. :laugh:

Still, I'm having a good time imagining Speedy locked up in a laughing academy. Also considering who to stash in there with him to keep him company...

Vanshilar

On the Ice
Just one other thought. Perhaps I'm just too cynical after watching all of the games that politicians play in my country, but I think I've seen this song and dance before. Politicians often leak to the media some terrible idea that raises a lot of opposition. A trial balloon. After some dialogue, the politician comes up a with a compromise that isn't as bad as the terrible idea that elicited outrage, but it's still worse than the status quo. The politician planned to introduce the compromise all along but knew the compromise would face opposition compared to the status quo. Hence the trial balloon.

It's amazing how Phil Hersh was able to obtain the letter from Cinquitta. Did Cinquatta have one of his minions give it to Phil and other media outlets as a trial balloon? Where's the real proposals?

Pretty much. If the measures are actually about cutting costs, then why does anonymous judging need to be kept? I don't see how putting names next to scores is any more expensive.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pretty much. If the measures are actually about cutting costs, then why does anonymous judging need to be kept? I don't see how putting names next to scores is any more expensive.

Cuts down on toner expenses!

Ven

Match Penalty
Is it possible that Cinquanta has legit gone crazy? I mean, seriously.

Putin and Tarasova turned him into a Manchurian candidate, in order to fix the Sochi results. Now, they are just straight up trolling the rest of the world.

Ven

Match Penalty
Except one of the biggest complaints is the subjectivity of figure skating and that comes mainly in the artistic portion.

People mostly like the artistic part of figure skating, as long as there is still strong athleticism involved. But people in general do not enjoy watching skaters do endless crossovers and jumps back and forth around the rink.

bebevia

On the Ice
I suggest, instead of dropping SP, that we give separate medals for SP & FS!

Or, if we need to cut costs, we should cut the figure skating itself. There!

Meoima

Match Penalty
I suggest, instead of dropping SP, that we give separate medals for SP & FS!

Or, if we need to cut costs, we should cut the figure skating itself. There!
More medals, more money, huh? And they are trying to cut costs here.
Seriously they should not cut the short program, that will only harm firgure skating.:disapp: if that happens, there will be no comeback, no second chance for the skaters to prove themselves within one competition.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Better idea, cut Cinquanta's salary by half. Problem solved :biggrin:

^^Sounds like a good plan to me.

Really? The skaters would get one shot? That won't add to the pressure at all. :rolleye:
Sounds liek a really bad plan that would hurt the skaters. I think how it is set-up now is ideal and should not be messed with.

NMURA

Medalist
if that happens, there will be no comeback, no second chance for the skaters to prove themselves within one competition.

For a skater who often falls behind in the SP, dropping it altogether is the most desirable solution.